Been out of the game for a long time, what's a good walkabout camera?

Pet Northerner
Don
Hi,

I've long been out of the phtography game but have an itching again (last camera was a d90 that was sold years ago to pay off an unexpected bill).

I have quite small hands so don't want a particularly large camera, so I was thinking of a small mirrorless camera as a good starting point.

Currently there is no brand loyalty as I have no gear to consider compatibilty for.

Budget is about £500 as I'm testing the waters again, but could push another 1-150 on top if the deal is right.

I have a trip to Portugal planned in mid-late August that I'd like to take with me for some beach lanscapes and some street photography.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

ta

Soldato
Are you again looking for an interchangeable-lens (ICL) camera, bridge camera or a fixed lens compact?

Other than the trip what do you enjoy photographing?

Is video of any interest?

Pet Northerner
Don
OP
Are you again looking for an interchangeable-lens (ICL) camera, bridge camera or a fixed lens compact?

Other than the trip what do you enjoy photographing?

Is video of any interest?

As Much as I'd like an ICL, budget may prevent this, due to the relatively higher cost (from what I've seen) on compact lenses - however if I went down this route I'd want probably only two lenses, being a good prime and a more general zoom lens.

If I were to take a camera like a bridge, I'd probably want something like a Canon PowerShot G7, in terms of size. I've not thought about fixed lens, have you had any experience with them?

I'm not interested in video. But I enjoy landscape and architecture (well used to - along with gig photography , but I'm not interested in picking that back up). But I think I'd like to try food / street phtography (basically shooting what I see).

Soldato
I used to have the superzoom bridge cameras from likes of Fuji and Panasonic. I never got on with them well as I always wanted something more from the lens and not being able to change just frustrated me.

I currently have a Panasonic LX100 as a (jacket) pocket-able carry around all purpose camera. If you really do want a smaller fixed lens all purpose camera look at the Sony RX100 range, though at circa £500 you'd have to look at the older models or used market.

You can certainly still get an ICL camera within your budget from the likes of Olympus and Panasonic. Have a look at the Panasonic GX80 which is around £380 (I own this camera) with a very good kit lens, or the Olympus EM10 III which is slightly more but on offer at the moment. You'd be surprised with what is out there these days.

The Sony A6000 is a decent stills camera and can be had new from around £350 with the kit lens when on offer.

Soldato
The Panasonic GX9 with 12-60mm lens will stretch your budget to its limit but it's worth the stretch. You then have a good choice of primes from Panasonic and Olympus.
If you want to stick with a fixed lens then Panasonic's FZ1000 II is worth a look.

Associate
You might just be able to snag a 2nd hand Fujifilm X100F for that sort of money. It’s superb and it’ll make you want to get out shooting and take it with you everywhere, has that sort of charm to it.

Pet Northerner
Don
OP
You might just be able to snag a 2nd hand Fujifilm X100F for that sort of money. It’s superb and it’ll make you want to get out shooting and take it with you everywhere, has that sort of charm to it.

got a X-100F from e-infin for £650 new (I know they are grey - but still better than 2nd hand from a rando on the bay imo) thanks to the other half saying she'll help pay as an early birthday gift :)

Went for the brown and silver version - I'm excited!

Pet Northerner
Don
OP
after e-fin have let me down on shipping I went direct with Fuji for a refurb which turned up today:
DMjwCzQ.jpg

nJN4Ovd.jpg

Man is it hefty for such a small thing, it feels like quality. It's my birthday tomorrow so lens filters, memory card etc won't be on / in until then

Associate
That's a beauty. Perfect walk around camera. Shame about the state of the industry, with Olympus selling, as M4/3 an amazingly portable and well developed system. On a side note, ******* is always worth considering if you go grey, they are a bit more pricey, but that 3 year warranty is handy, and they didn't fight me over it when I had to claim £525 on it. How much did you pay Fuji for the refurb?

Associate
It was £600 from Fuji, which I felt was a decent price
That's a fantastic price, and I love shooting with Fujis, very enjoyable expericance, I don't think we give camera manufactuers enough credit for those touches like ergonimics, and feel, over sheer tech. but they count for a lot in my book, and Fujifilm does a class leading job.

Soldato
Gratz in the x100f. You'll love it. Great choice.

There's a very active facebook group for the x100 series. Good for inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom