What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Put a 3 Gauge pillar pod in my Starlet with only the best Prosport ;):p

5HMMN0ml.jpg

Boost, Oil Temp & Oil Pressure (which is surprisingly accurate) Tbf some people used to slate them back in the day but they are actually very accurate. Still wouldn't trust a cheap Prosport wideband tho.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Prosport gauges. I've used them in my old Rover Turbo and both of my Imprezas.

I did find the boost gauges with the electrical sensors to be a little slower than a mechnical boost gauge though, but for what they cost, they're still really good. I see you went for the peak/warn gauges? The only thing I dislike about them is that disabling the startup beep also disables the warning beeps.

As for me, I replaced the alternator and power steering pump on my MG ZT tonight. The PS pump had a little fluid weep that ended up killing the alternator. I was going to change them this year anyway as at 170k miles, I figured they'd served their time. While it was all apart, I noticed the main engine mount was well past its best, so all 3 mounts were replaced with brand new genuine parts. The amount of work this car has had is ridiculous. I depend on it for work so it has to be reliable, lots of preventative maintenance over the last couple of years. It certainly doesn't drive like a car that's done 170k miles that's for sure.

As long as it carries on behaving, I'll run it to 200k and then probably replace it with a nearly new Octavia VRS estate. I don't necessarily want to change it but I think it'd be nice to get something I can just drive and not have to worry about. I have 2 other cars to keep me busy!

It's been a great car though (if not a bit of a pain in the backside at times with that transverse mounted BMW M47) and so I don't begrudge spending money on the thing to keep it running well.

Last edited:
Soldato
After years with no badges on the boot, some part of me wanted to have an STi badge on again:

ACtC-3cw_d_b_IC5-W_RXWzUHJ3ktdsXNJzvGxc-By0cLrErdWlQlgDZvGtAscpHHWRpJkHchvv_gdZfxTZIy7vWo_Hfl6gUfsEAO9Brgzdvv289CQEa6bV3ppwsHkFORe1pswlVVCj1cr2dBnfd8evqebSO=w1292-h970-no

ACtC-3csa9F7KF40_OzMukEaPheO-Ddex3aOMjzO9mPQ5G9zYBLZ8qdQKPKSm_6GkyQ3c9L7wzsxQV5WmGzCoho4654RTCKfBUBxGj7wmwkJUHZzkjkDlJF5GJD8iBqX3AqM3xtwbAkOj37N2GwPwSVuovBd=w1292-h970-no

The original badges looked messy to me, but equally I thought WRX STi looks odd on its own on the right, with STi on its own looking more weird in the original position, hence raising it up a bit.
ACtC-3c61QDIqtMNKZTaWnEdLFk5__qmrPK61wO51HCpHPbc7xkBpSIwn5dRB8m4GdNXRR6D7pVLEfFg2oMs3buRBcwAwH4Z8JREgHLwt1ydLixFNrZGwEyrGoMdCQoNMj5osxYumOS9rPoeGQI67QSJuVQg=w1292-h969-no

Not sure how I feel about it, not sure if it's straight enough for my liking either :D

Oh well will leave it on for a bit and see how I feel about it :)

Don
No sign of the person who hit me :( So I took the bumper off and began righting the wrongs

8Eoz7PR.png

After an hour or so of polishing I got rid of the transfer and 90% of the scratches, also shoved a bit of primer in the main 'graze'

Iso6dcM.png

First layer of paint

sWQOUtr.png

now waiting for the paint to dry....
Slcscyq.png

Commissario
My rears are LED and I don't think they would be cheap either, sounds worth the effort. All working now?
They’re still drying out, leaving them as long as possible.
They worked fine yesterday even after the error, probs just a bit of water that caught it.

What car have you got?

Soldato
They’re still drying out, leaving them as long as possible.
They worked fine yesterday even after the error, probs just a bit of water that caught it.

What car have you got?

Posted a pic of it above, the hyundai Veloster turbo, not common in the UK so i'd probably have to ship them over from the US.

Soldato
OP
Uh oh!

The ever-reliable 530d decided that it didn't like the O/S front spring anymore - deep joy.
Being M Sport they're not quite as common as the standard springs, but as I don't need the car day-to-day at the moment I just ordered a set from AutoDoc in Germany.

Properly-specified M Sport springs for £30 per side - that'll do :)

Replacement springs are due on Tuesday / Wednesday - I've taken it all apart ready.
Quite impressed with how easy the E60 / E61 is to work on!

Checked over everything else while it's apart - the drop link rubber boot has split so that'll be changed, and the top mount was already knocking slightly - a Meyle replacement is on the way too.
Damper was still absolutely fine, and they're quite costly to replace so will be left (original on 186k).

Top marks to the dirt on the damper - even after various cleaning methods, this is the best I could get it! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom