Buying my first BBQ - Help!

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply folks. Thank you all for your comments. So far this is what iv learnt:

- 57'' round is big enough for 6+ people
- Weber GBS Mastertouch recommended
- Coal over gas
- Need Grill, Chimney starter, coal, lights and a stiff grill brush or scraper
- 'One touch' and 'temp gauge built in' is recommended
- Can be left outside all year round and Webber's last forever

Thats great advice thank you! Some more detailed questions now:

- On their website there is the Mastertouch GBS 5750 £295 and a Mastertouch GBS 5755 £329. Whats the difference between the two?! Why is one £35 more than the other. Iv tried using the comparison tool but cant work it out. Perhaps its something you expert BBQ'ers can pick up on and advise...

- Some of them have 'smoke settings' - What is that?!

- When you all say they last years outside all year round, is that WITH or WITHOUT a cover on?

Most of them have a built in thermometer in the lid from what I can see. And the one touch cleaning system.

Soldato
- Coal over gas
You'll find the 'ardant' BBQers might prefer coal. However if you want convenience, and as someone else said - to avoid burning everything - gas is the way to go. No way I'd go back to the hassle of coal now I've got a decent gas one.

You can leave them outside. But cover it during the winter.

Associate
OP
You'll find the 'ardant' BBQers might prefer coal. However if you want convenience, and as someone else said - to avoid burning everything - gas is the way to go. No way I'd go back to the hassle of coal now I've got a decent gas one.

You can leave them outside. But cover it during the winter.

The cheapest Webber gas is £500!!!

Soldato
@Yucca

I'm not a BBQ aficiando but have tried it a few different ways over the years.

If you're going charcoal or briquettes by a chimney starter it is the single biggest improvement on a £4£ basis.

Gas is easy and reliable and quick and for a beginner is a big advantage as you spend more time cooking less time prepping/waiting.

Yes you can do a lot with a Weber or similar but personaly buy something cheap and enjoy grilling sausages and burgers over charcoal.

I recently (yesterday) bought a £24 Barron BBQ from B+Q as I already have a smoker and didn't want another expensive outdoor cooker just for grilling. For doing supermarket BBQ food packs its great simple cheap. Not high quality it will probably last a year or two but in that time you'll have fallen in love with BBQ-ing and have more commitment to by a bigger better device.

I have a Callow smoker which is great but it's not suitable for sausages, burger and chops it's a slow and low cooker hence the cheapo griller.

Soldato
Sorry for the late reply folks. Thank you all for your comments. So far this is what iv learnt:

- 57'' round is big enough for 6+ people
- Weber GBS Mastertouch recommended
- Coal over gas
- Need Grill, Chimney starter, coal, lights and a stiff grill brush or scraper
- 'One touch' and 'temp gauge built in' is recommended

Thats great advice thank you! Some more detailed questions now:

- On their website there is the Mastertouch GBS 5750 £295 and a Mastertouch GBS 5755 £329. Whats the difference between the two?! Why is one £35 more than the other. Iv tried using the comparison tool but cant work it out. Perhaps its something you expert BBQ'ers can pick up on and advise...

- Some of them have 'smoke settings' - What is that?!

- When you all say they last years outside all year round, is that WITH or WITHOUT a cover on?

Most of them have a built in thermometer in the lid from what I can see. And the one touch cleaning system.

Just had a quick google, I think the 5755 is just the latest version of it. Although I could be wrong

Associate
OP
Ok folks...

How about I have a go with a disposable one first before I spend £300-400?! You can get those box ones right that all the chavs use in the park?!

Do they come with everything you need in the box?! Ie coal, lighter etc? Does one still need a 'chimney' to work one of these?!

And where is the best place to get such a contraption delivered? No point me looking in the supermarkets risking covid exposure as im 99.99% sure the BBQ shelf will be empty!

Soldato
Ok folks...

How about I have a go with a disposable one first before I spend £300-400?! You can get those box ones right that all the chavs use in the park?!

Do they come with everything you need in the box?! Ie coal, lighter etc? Does one still need a 'chimney' to work one of these?!

And where is the best place to get such a contraption delivered? No point me looking in the supermarkets risking covid exposure as im 99.99% sure the BBQ shelf will be empty!
Just buy a cheap kettle style BBQ from Tesco or Argos for about £20 or £30 and have a play around.

Back
Top Bottom