Good Stereo speakers for PC?

Associate
OP
OP, how are you finding them? I'm in exactly the same boat. My beloved Monitor Audio WS100's are on the way out and space is at a premium.

Looking at these, the smaller ones or the Wharfedale DS-2.

After some tinkering they are excellent. I bought them without knowing anything about monitors so I was a bit thrown when they sounded weird for certain things like games but great in music.

Some basic tweaking of the high and low knobs on the rear of the speakers and raising them to ear height and they are fantastic. I'm no expert but with some minimal faffing about to suit your own ear they are very good, pretty rounded to me.

I don't have a great deal to compare to so not sure how much my insight will be of use!

Caporegime
I left the nobs as they were neutral, seen reviewers on youtube saying they thought it sounded best as they were out of the box.

when I watch a movie or game I just turn on crystallizer in my ancient sound blaster z soundcard but I guess it's basically the same thing as increasing the nobs a bit.

sound clarity is great though imo, been watching youtube from the couch a few times and when there's been like a rumbling thunder sound effect in the background and I had to check if it was on the video or real.

I bet those videos on youtube of thunderstorms and rain etc to help people sleep sound awesome. I should check some out maybe

Soldato
I think they are a good choice. Certainly worth considering if you need Bluetooth connection.

Alternative would be a little amp and passive speakers, although you'd likely end up paying more. That said; you'd have a DAC accessible with optical as well, not just Bluetooth input and a subwoofer output, should you want to add one at some point.

Edifier 1850 have optical input, subwoofer output as well as Bluetooth. Cost more though, and would be same price as getting getting a little amp plus Whafedale 9.0 passive speakers. Around £160.

Associate
I think they are a good choice. Certainly worth considering if you need Bluetooth connection.

Alternative would be a little amp and passive speakers, although you'd likely end up paying more. That said; you'd have a DAC accessible with optical as well, not just Bluetooth input and a subwoofer output, should you want to add one at some point.

Edifier 1850 have optical input, subwoofer output as well as Bluetooth. Cost more though, and would be same price as getting getting a little amp plus Whafedale 9.0 passive speakers. Around £160.
Thanks, Marsman,
I don't need Bluetooth - I need one stereo input only.
I like the idea of amp and separate speakers, I'm only changing my current M-Audio AV40 speakers because the amplifier bit in the powered speaker is duff (I've tried getting parts to repair and they work out being uneconomic to repair).
Any suggestions for an amplifier suitable for a PC?

Soldato
I think that is the one concern with powered speakers; amp and speakers combined. All good when working fine, but if amp goes, speakers are no good.

I think that's why some people prefer separate amp speakers; speakers are less likely to develop a fault compared to an amp.

If you only need a basic amp with no built in DAC, subwoofer output etc, then a SMSL SA36/50 would be a decent choice. There's also amps from Sabaj and Nobsound, that have recently been purchased by other forums members who have been pleased with them.

For passive speakers, Wharfedale 9.0 are great for £60. Mordaunt Short M10 also got a lot of good reviews; also £60. Both from Richer Sounds.

Associate
Edifier R1700BT in black - bought from OCUK last night.
Paid with PayPal - still showing as " Order received - processing payment" (PayPal have taken the money, I hope that's just a glitch)
I'll update this thread when I get them - thanks for the help.

Soldato
Some great knock-off brands? :D

Not sure what that comment means.

That aside the Yamaha's I use there better quality speakers then my Edifiers, namely better constructed cabinets for less vibration, and Yamaha use better quality drivers then Edifier.

Associate
In the last few weeks I bought some Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers (as my M-Audio speakers had failed) and I was not impressed with them (I had also bought a pair of the previous Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers over 10 years ago and they sound completely different).
I have since returned the Bose speakers and ordered a pair of Edifier R1700BT in black from OCUK last weekend.
They arrived on Tuesday and I connected them up this morning - they sound awesome in comparison - I am very pleased :D

Associate
Glad you're enjoying the R1700BT's. :D
Thanks for your help and advice earlier Marsman, I am considering another set of speakers for my sons room to replace his almost 20 year old Bose MediaMate speakers which don't sound all that good.
However, I have taken on board what you said earlier and am considering a separate amp and passive speakers rather than active speakers like the Edifier.
:D

Soldato
After some tinkering they are excellent. I bought them without knowing anything about monitors so I was a bit thrown when they sounded weird for certain things like games but great in music.

Some basic tweaking of the high and low knobs on the rear of the speakers and raising them to ear height and they are fantastic. I'm no expert but with some minimal faffing about to suit your own ear they are very good, pretty rounded to me.

I don't have a great deal to compare to so not sure how much my insight will be of use!

Forgot to say thanks for the reply. I did consider, but ended up getting the Wharfedale DS-2's. They were only £140 in a sale. My main issue is that I have a superb headphone DAC (Marantz HD-DAC 1) and really wanted to use it for speaker audio and not just headphones. My ideal would have just been a pair of powered speakers that take an RCA in, as the Marantz has both fixed and variable RCA out. Whilst the DS-2's have Bluetooth, and therefore some technical stuff inside I have no desire to use, they also have a 3.5mm in, so hooking them up is easy. They sound great and their footprint is tiny, which was my main problem.

Back
Top Bottom