cpu 74 deg gpu 40 is there something wrong?

Associate
during war zone my cpu is reaching 70 and my gpu is at 45

I have reseated all blocks and re applied paste
cpu is a i5 9600k 4.8
gpu is a and rx480
I am using a Phobya dc 12 260
Phanteks c350i cpu block
one alphacool st30 280 mm radiator

and a alphacool nexxos gpu block

any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Caporegime
A single 280 rad isn't exactly a lot of heat exchange for a CPU and GPU, but I'd still have expected better than 70c on the CPU.

FWIW, I have two 360 rads for an i9-9820X and GTX 2070 Super.

Was it ever any better than this or is this a new loop? What's the flow like, have you got a flowrate indicator/meter? What does the loop itself look like, can you get a pic up?

Associate
The max allowable temp at the die junction is 100 degrees C.
You are a long way from that, so I don’t think 70 degrees is anything to worry about.

I do agree that a single 280mm radiator is pushing it for an overclocked CPU and a GPU.
However, if those are your temperatures once the loop has stabilised, then you may be lucky.

Out of interest, what is the max coolant temperature in your loop?

I have an RX480, and in OC state, it produces almost 200W, add to that the 115W (approx) of an overclocked CPU and you need to get rid of 315W of heat for just the CPU and GPU.

Soldato
yeah basically you're running 140mm per unit and I'd personally say you should be running 2x240 as a minimum for overclocked allowing one per unit. However, the temp of 70C, what was it on air? Suppose that's what you need to be lookig at. So my new rig updgrated was running OCCT hitting 90C, now hits 75C on CPU which btw the way is the most extreme testing you can do with Prime95 and only hits around 60s in games so...

The order of the loop won't matter, uit's all about the ambient temp of that water and no matter where everything is through the loop it'll stay within 1C either way... i.e. you could have 5 radiators and the water goes through all 5 first then GPU and CPU... this will give same water temp within error as if you messed around in ANY order... the water temp averages out.

.. and tbh the temp of the water won't really effect CPU or GPU temps much unless mega cold or mega hot... I've not noticed much different in CPU/GPU temps while water varies from 23C in a cold room to 30C in really warm room doors shut with 3 PC's on running all night...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A single 280 rad isn't exactly a lot of heat exchange for a CPU and GPU, but I'd still have expected better than 70c on the CPU.

FWIW, I have two 360 rads for an i9-9820X and GTX 2070 Super.

Was it ever any better than this or is this a new loop? What's the flow like, have you got a flowrate indicator/meter? What does the loop itself look like, can you get a pic up?
This is a brand new loop
I don’t have a flow rate meter currently installed
Flow seems ok it’s not super strong but it’s definitely moving I have a aqauamaster res being top fed so I can see the flow is there
I intend on improving loop but I want advice prior to either adding another rad or getting a stronger pump
If I’m only gonna knock temps down by 1-2 degrees I prob won’t bother
Any suggestions ?
Will post a pic shortly
thanks for reply

Associate
OP
Whats the loop order? I'm going to guess, rad -> gpu -> cpu?[/
Your completely correct
I read and watched so many videos saying loop order doesn’t matter that I just took the easiest route
Do you think changing loop order will help with my high cpu temps?

Res >pump>GPU> cpu > rad then back to res

Caporegime
Your completely correct
I read and watched so many videos saying loop order doesn’t matter that I just took the easiest route
Do you think changing loop order will help with my high cpu temps?

Res >pump>GPU> cpu > rad then back to res

Order doesn't for the most part matter one jot, as the loop will reach equilibrium at some point anyway (the point at which all the coolant has heated to the point whereby the radiators can't remove any more heat, and that the CPU/GPU isn't adding any more heat - unless GPU/CPU load goes up). Increasing reservoir capacity makes the time taken to reach equilibrium longer, but won't change that temperature point.

Surface area of radiator, and airflow through them will make the most difference. With my loop, running a single 360 radiator will see my idle temps climb by around 10c, and my 100% load temps by more like 20c. As it stands (with the two radiators) I'm sitting around 35c CPU and 39c GPU when just doing basic desktop stuff, this rises to around 48c CPU and 58c GPU.

Associate
Totally agree that loop order does not make much difference.
I recently changed a 280mm radiator in my loop for a 420mm to reduce the noise levels.
It has made very little difference to the CPU/GPU/coolant temperatures.

Associate
OP
Order doesn't for the most part matter one jot, as the loop will reach equilibrium at some point anyway (the point at which all the coolant has heated to the point whereby the radiators can't remove any more heat, and that the CPU/GPU isn't adding any more heat - unless GPU/CPU load goes up). Increasing reservoir capacity makes the time taken to reach equilibrium longer, but won't change that temperature point.

Surface area of radiator, and airflow through them will make the most difference. With my loop, running a single 360 radiator will see my idle temps climb by around 10c, and my 100% load temps by more like 20c. As it stands (with the two radiators) I'm sitting around 35c CPU and 39c GPU when just doing basic desktop stuff, this rises to around 48c CPU and 58c GPU.
So do you think it’s worth adding another 280 rad?

Do you have any sort of estimate of how much another 280mm rad could lower my temps?

my current rad is mounted up too as exhaust

I would be placing second rad on front of case as Intake

thanks for your reply

Soldato
Firstly: if your GPU is at 40° then your coolant is at or below 40°C. So we're looking at a difference of 35° from liquid to CPU. That could be a bad mount (please tell me you didn't leave the sticker on the CPU block).

Main question: what's your CPU voltage? 4.8GHz is a chunky overclock but it's not wild, it's not even the max 24/7 for some 9600k samples. The voltage will be what creates the temperature differential between liquid and CPU. Monitor Vcore.

I would suggest working out why the CPU Delta is so high before adding radiators - but I agree that 280mm is not likely to be enough for your components.

Soldato
70C is not a temp that causes concern.

Depending on cpu/case cooling, binning of cpu, voltage of cpu, spec of cpu, that may or may not be higher than expected.

Some games can be more demanding on cpu than gpu as well. Especially when the gpu is high end and cpu low end.

Soldato
70c isn't extremely bad maybe could be a bit better but it's also nothing I would panic over either
though I don't know how much load war zone puts your cpu under
Depends too on fan and pump speed
Don't think you mentioned those
And agree with others as long as res feeds pump loop orders irrelevant
It will reach equilibrium regardless of
Loop order

Associate
What fans are you running, and at what RPM? Does fan noise bother you?
Adding another 280mm radiator will help dissipate more heat. It may lower your temperatures slightly, but it is hard to tell you by how much.

You have a similar cooling requirement as me, roughly 300W. I used to use a 280GTS and an PE280 and it kept temperatures under control, with coolant reaching about 36 degrees (but it is all relative depending on your room temperature). It was noisy, which I didn’t like, hence upgrading to the 420mm radiator.

I will have a look to see if I can find the cooling capacity of an ST30 280.

Associate
I can’t find the exact max cooling capacity of the ST30 280.
Have a look at the Xtreme rigs review of the ST30.

The NexXxos ST30 280 from Alphacool proved to have lack-luster performance in all of our thermal performance tests. This is due to it having the thinnest core which is just not capable of great heat dissipation. In fact it proved to be the worst of the test group and was a considerable margin behind even the other slim 280mm radiators. The Space Efficiency and Value metrics were more favorable for the ST30 280mm so there were a couple of positives based on it’s thermal performance results.

It would seem that with around 300W to dissipate, my opinion would be that adding another 280mm radiator would certainly help, but you may only gain a few degrees. Just bear in mind that you still have over 20 degrees on the CPU, and your GPU looks comfortable.

If your temperatures are the maximum seen during a gaming session over several hours, then I would almost be tempted to leave it alone if you can handle the fan noise. Just bear in mind that the ST30 works best with medium speed fans, apparently.

Associate
I have a 240mm and 360mm rad (30mm thick) on my 9600k 4.8ghz 1.216v and rtx 2070 2025mhz 1.00v undervolted and I get 50c max gpu and 60c max cpu. Warzone is very cpu hungry if your not using vsync. I get 60-80% cpu usage and 60-80% gpu usage at 60fps. looking at around 54c cpu max and 45 gpu max while in warzone. do you have vsync on and what res you running?

Soldato
it'll come down to how the cpu block is mounted and which oriantation you have picked, the 9th gen chips from intel use a slightly rectangle die which if you look at the motherboard and how the cpu is installed, the waterblock should be installed so the fittings sit in the horizontal position side by side that way you maximise the cooling of the waterblock your using.
Also because you have a 280mm rad only, you'll need to crank up the fans a bit under load to try and help the tempratures and a critical step is to have good clear intake airflow into the case too, this is often overlooked and thus problems start to happen.
If you want the best tempratures then it all comes down to radiator's the more you have the better the cooling and you can run near silent under load if you have enough radiator capacity, if not then you need to increase fan speed.

just noticed your cpu overclock, what vcore voltage are you running to keep 4.8ghz stable?

Associate
OP
I can’t find the exact max cooling capacity of the ST30 280.
Have a look at the Xtreme rigs review of the ST30.

It would seem that with around 300W to dissipate, my opinion would be that adding another 280mm radiator would certainly help, but you may only gain a few degrees. Just bear in mind that you still have over 20 degrees on the CPU, and your GPU looks comfortable.

If your temperatures are the maximum seen during a gaming session over several hours, then I would almost be tempted to leave it alone if you can handle the fan noise. Just bear in mind that the ST30 works best with medium speed fans, apparently.
thank you for taking your time to put the post and link together

ive tried it with fans and pump on full speed and my max cpu temp is 65 degrees I didn't see 70 once

the fans im using currently are the stock fans that come with the Phanteks evolve x rgb they claim to be radiator fans

Back
Top Bottom