WD BLue 6TB CMR or SMR ? does it matter

Associate
Hi all

I have a PC with a few 6tb WD60EZRZ which are CMR and i use them in a pc that has stored videos, now i need another one but i find a lot of news about SMR been poor in the new WD60EZAZ.

The question is how bad are these drives as i store a lot of videos for daily playback and sometimes do move video files back and forth when sorting but mainly playing videos everyday.

are these drives still ok and are they still well built to last ?

thanks fro any info or help

Associate
OP
it seems that cmr drives are all but gone in the 6TB range and it seems this is going to happan to all large drives with every manufacture what i read

Associate
OP
problem is you can not get a 8tb blue and the next best thing is a 8tb gold which are way over priced compaired to the blues. The reds are more as well and even they are smr which is what started all this.

it looks like i will just have to get the blue smr as it looks like we have no other choise becasue the other drives are a premium.

Associate
problem is you can not get a 8tb blue and the next best thing is a 8tb gold which are way over priced compaired to the blues. The reds are more as well and even they are smr which is what started all this.

it looks like i will just have to get the blue smr as it looks like we have no other choise becasue the other drives are a premium.
WD replaced my SMR-Type WD-Red 6TB with a CMR-Type WD-Red-Pro 6TB
If its just for storing video, and you want a CMR-Type drive, you could get one of the following:
  • WD-Red-Pro (7200 RPM) (any TB size)
  • WD-Red (5400 RPM) (8TB and above only)
  • WD-Black (7200 RPM) (any TB size, 3.5" only)
Or, you could do what EssexBoy suggested and shuck a WD external drive - it should contain either a WD-Red or a WD-White-Label (Red with a white label) and if 8TB and above, it should also be a CMR-Type drive.

Back
Top Bottom