Good Bike lock needed

Caporegime
OP
I have a Hiplock Gold wrapped around the seatpost/frame and an Abus Granite Extreme on the pannier rack. They weigh a ton but then so does the ebike. Cables don't seem worthwhile except maybe as a purely visual deterrent, bolt cutters will get through them in seconds.

Yeah seen those cables.
Doesn't seem any different between a cable tie and a cable lock. All they will stop is chancers.

The abus 6500 is on its way, and a d lock. Feel like two different types of lock will need two different tools and thus more of a deterrent

Soldato
Yeah, two locks of different types always the better option. Like I said above, I use a U-Lock through the rear wheel and frame and then a decent chain lock around the frame and through the front wheel. If whatever I'm locking the bike to is high enough I also put a Poundland lock through the seat too.

Soldato
Whatever you're thinking of using - see how the lock picking lawyer rates it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

If it takes him more than 3 minutes to get into - it's probably pretty good

Having a good lock that takes a while to pick is a bonus, but you have to remember that some thieving chavvy scrote isn't going to have a.) the tools, b.) the skills or c.) the time to sit there picking locks. 99.9% of the time it's be a brute force attempt and if they get nowhere they'll move onto the next bike.

Also, if possible, try and lock your bike next to a better, more expensive and shiny one.

Caporegime
yea, no one has a channel called "brute force and Angle grinding scum" by any chance showing us how long the locks hold up in real world scenarios

Man of Honour
I use 2 locks for my ebike should I ever need to leave it unattended for more than a few seconds (which is unlikely)

They are the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and the Kryptonite New York U-Lock.

Cost around £200 for the pair when I got them, even then I'm super vigilant about leaving my bike anywhere, I keep it indoors as well, no way I'd leave it in a shed as its a 5k bike.

Virtually the same here but a New York M18 at work with a 12mm cable wrapped around the wheels and a cheaper Kryptonite as my 'going into a shop quickly' lock.

I use a Halfords U-Lock and a Yale chain and padlock.

There's a guy around here, before the lockdown, that rides a YT Jeffsy pro and leaves it locked to a small fence around a tree with two Poundland locks. **** knows how it's never been nicked as this place is considered quite dodgy, but it was there in the morning when I walked past it and it was still there later in the day. So either Poundland locks are immense value for the £1 or he simply doesn't give a ****.

Take a ride around the hospital and see the state some of those bikes are left in.
It's one of my hobbies when I'm going building to building.
Even my workmate comes on a £3000 road bike and he locks it with a £5 ALDI lock.

Associate
Having a good lock that takes a while to pick is a bonus, but you have to remember that some thieving chavvy scrote isn't going to have a.) the tools, b.) the skills or c.) the time to sit there picking locks. 99.9% of the time it's be a brute force attempt and if they get nowhere they'll move onto the next bike.

He does brute force attacks as well - he particularly dislikes cable locks or locks that can be easily shimmed or bypassed or defeated with primative picking techniques.

He's worth a look at before you buy or to check what you currently use isn't a useless piece of junk.

Man of Honour
OP

Get some kind of D Lock with a big rating, cables can be cut through with a bolt cutter so are next to useless.
I've seen a D Lock put on the bike and then fixed to a metal post with a cable - useless because they'll cut the cable, throw the bike in a van and then work on the lock at their convenience with a grinder.
Obviously try and put your bike where others can see it.

Soldato
I've seen a D Lock put on the bike and then fixed to a metal post with a cable - useless because they'll cut the cable

I can go one better than that. Was perusing the Facebook Marketplace to waste a bit of time and see if anything pops up, when I came across this advert asking for help with locating a stolen bike. I wonder how they managed to steal this when it was locked up with a U-Lock? :D

PvDCQJo.jpg

Soldato
If I'm parking a bike up in town then I make sure to use a D-lock that meets the criteria on my bike insurance (in my case, has to be Sold Secure Gold rated) and then try not to worry about it. Any lock can be broken if a thief is determined enough and they have the time needed.

Soldato
yea, no one has a channel called "brute force and Angle grinding scum" by any chance showing us how long the locks hold up in real world scenarios
This guy makes every lock seems utterly pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

This is one of the biggest reasons I prefer an escooter to an ebike. The escooter you can fold up and take with you. When in work I just carry it upstairs and put it next to my desk.

Soldato
I can go one better than that. Was perusing the Facebook Marketplace to waste a bit of time and see if anything pops up, when I came across this advert asking for help with locating a stolen bike. I wonder how they managed to steal this when it was locked up with a U-Lock? :D

PvDCQJo.jpg
Even with a massive lock, in a few seconds you could be away with any number of expensive components from the bike.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah mine needed a special tool (nut splitter) to open..
One of the comments though.. "that tool sounds like my ex" :D

Some of those locks literally opened in 2 seconds.

hux

hux

Soldato
Abloy 362 padlock, with the biggest chain you can manage.

Disc detainer lock, only the most experienced would pick one.

Locksport is one of my hobbies, plenty of ex Mod padlocks on eBay.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Abloy 362 padlock, with the biggest chain you can manage.

Just looked at the price and then remember what I used at one place.
My mate's son acquired a box of 10 locks from the Armed Services and they both use them on their motorbikes but we also used one on a rehearsal room.
His son said they are used on ammunition boxes.
My mate kept boasting they were around £400 each so could it be the same locks?
Mind you I could just ask him :)

hux

hux

Soldato
Just looked at the price and then remember what I used at one place.
My mate's son acquired a box of 10 locks from the Armed Services and they both use them on their motorbikes but we also used one on a rehearsal room.
His son said they are used on ammunition boxes.
My mate kept boasting they were around £400 each so could it be the same locks?
Mind you I could just ask him :)

Won't be £400 possibly £100-£150 tops, these would be original Abloy Finland not the Yale associated locks.
Ammo boxes would be too small for these padlocks.

Kasp 190 series is a beast of a padlock, my vise struggles to hold the thing.
It's the kind of lock that one looks at and thinks bugger that.

Never would have thought I would get into lock reviews/lock picking but LockPickingLawyer is really entertaining :D.

It's a great hobby but time consuming.

Associate
You should invest in the best bicycle lock (Kryptonite, Onguard). These two brands are popular in producing reliable bike locks and different types of security for your bike.

Back
Top Bottom