LG 38GL950, 38GN950 and 38WN95C

Associate
So clearly these three monitors share the same 38" panel. I've tried comparing the differences between them but LG, nor Overclockers, are consistent with specification which makes it a harder task that it needs to be. Is this a correct summary if the differences:

38GL950 - Flagship 'gaming' monitor with G-Sync module and flashy lights on the back and 175hz (overclocked)
38GN950 - 'Gaming' monitor with G-Sync compatibility (not module) and flashy lights on the backand 160hz (overclocked)
38WN95C - 'Work' monitor with G-Sync compatibility (not module) and NO flashy lights on the backand 144hz

I was tempted to buy the 38GL950 but the fan noise issues many are reporting concerned me. Does this relate to the G-Sync module and therefore a non-issue on the GN and WN version?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The 95C doesn’t need an overclock as 144Hz is the native refresh button yes you’ve got that summary right in terms of Gsync and refresh rates. The two more recent models without the Gsync module actually use a slightly different panel and have HDR600 certification along with edge lit local dimming too. But overall characteristics apart from that should be quite similar. They shouldn’t need the small fan (which is very quiet to be fair on the 950G) as that’s needed for the Gsync module which isn’t included in the other two

Soldato
Nice summary and also something I wanted to ask about.

1. What is the difference in real terms between a Gsync module and Gsync compatibility?
I mean one needs the fan the other dont need the fan, but if they are the same performance, then why go with the module version?

2. Whats "edge lit local dimming"?

Soldato
Thanks badass, but I couldnt find any info what is the difference between a Gsync monitor with and without the module.

E.g. the GL950 Vs the GN950.
Both are Gsync but one with module and one without, how does this translate to real world performance?

Man of Honour
Thanks badass, but I couldnt find any info what is the difference between a Gsync monitor with and without the module.

E.g. the GL950 Vs the GN950.
Both are Gsync but one with module and one without, how does this translate to real world performance?
The GN hasn’t been tested yet so it’s hard to know for sure. But in theory a Native hardware Gsync screen will offer

- more consistent and reliable VRR experience with a wider range and better handling of lower refresh rates
- adaptive variable overdrive support
- guaranteed low lag

a decent adaptive sync screen, especially one certified under the Gsync Compatible scheme could still offer great performance but it can be more hit and miss sometimes

Associate
The 38WN95C also has thunderbolt 3, speakers and picture in picture support (though not with thunderbolt and displayport at the same time).

Thunderbolt 3 is a big win for me as I can drive my work laptop with one cable at 144hz, and plug my gaming PC into displayport.

Another key win for me, but is subjective of course, is the aesthetic of the 38WN95C. It's got a matte white back with a black front, pretty clean. For some reason the gaming versions have a rim that's glossy black. Looks cheap and is a dust / fingerprint magnet in my experience.

Associate
As badass mentioned, they do not share the same panel. The GL is over a year old at this point and supports HDR400. The imminent WN and GN share an edge lit HDR600 panel.

Soldato
Do you think it will be a better quality panel ?

This is what I was thinking.
I was about to take another chance on the GL... but thought.... nah, cant be arsed with returns etc.
Will take a chance on the GN. Hopefully they will have learned the mistakes of the GL.
Only concern is this whole Gsync module vs Gsync compatible....
Does it really make a difference...

Also I am curious about the "edge lit" technology. Since one of things I didnt like about the GL was the shadow across the top and bottom.

Associate
This is what I was thinking.
I was about to take another chance on the GL... but thought.... nah, cant be arsed with returns etc.
Will take a chance on the GN. Hopefully they will have learned the mistakes of the GL.
Only concern is this whole Gsync module vs Gsync compatible....
Does it really make a difference...

Also I am curious about the "edge lit" technology. Since one of things I didnt like about the GL was the shadow across the top and bottom.

Another thing to think about is if the AMD new GPUS when they come out will be better then nvidia or offer better price performance. If you use AMD you wont care as much about the gsynch module.

Soldato
Another thing to think about is if the AMD new GPUS when they come out will be better then nvidia or offer better price performance. If you use AMD you wont care as much about the gsynch module.
Good point that man, but does it seem likely that there is anything on the horizon to usurp the 3080 series coming out in autumn?

Soldato
Theres the new GPUS from AMD coming out which power the nex Xbox and PS5. All eyes are on them at the moment. You can bet Nvidia is also keeping a close watch,

Im all for competition.

Such has been the dominance of NVIDIA for the past many years that I havent bothered to take a look at what AMD have been conjuring up....

Associate
@badass

So despite the WN and GN sharing the same panel and general performance specs (outside of the OC), Nvidia's G-Sync page list shows the 38WN95C as not being HDR compatible, and same with AMD's Freesync monitor list. Despite it saying "Premium Pro" on the same page (which is HDR), its says "HDR:No"...

Is this an error or could it be another difference between the GN and WN? The GN being the only one to support HDR + adaptive sync at the same time.

Have you heard anything about this? Lots of discussion on REDDIT about this with no answers yet....

Associate
Trust me I really wouldn’t worry about hdr on monitors. One of only true monitor capable of good hdr is the cx48 oled. With the Ps5 and new Xbox coming out. That’s an ideal monitor for most people burn in withstanding

Associate
do gsync "compatible" screens operate VRR in fullscreen windowed mode? i only had one such screen and it did not seem to work outside of pure fullscreen. i need to tab out of games a lot and it's a major concern for me. has anyone done any testing in this regard please?

Back
Top Bottom