Generic (Chinese) Android Boxes for Kodi

Permabanned
Hi

I have a T95Z plus in my garage home cinema setup which I purchases over a year ago for around £50. I went with this model because it had gigabit ethernet. Also it seemed to be well-specced in terms of CPU and USb ports etc.

While it hasn't missed a beat (haven't done much other than stream 1080p media over home network tbh), I am now looking for a similar device for my lounge... Wouldn't hesitate to go with a T95Z plus again, especially as they are even cheaper now, but was wondering of there is any model out there that is better as this box is over 3 years old now.

Thanks

Associate
I bought a Xiaomi Mi Box a while back and although generally good I had a few issues. Getting different audio tracks to pass through was a bit of a fiddle - effectively it just doesn't deal with HD codecs and also getting it to switch framerates to sync to my projector wasn't ever very reliable. The other issue I had was the remote kept disconnecting and I had to re-pair it quite often. I've since moved it into a bedroom and lost the remote so problem solved :D

Soldato
A 3 year old Android box will likely be running a 3 year old version of Android.

Android apps tend to drop support for old OS versions.

I bought an android box 3 or 4 years ago and I can't install some TV apps because the version of Android is unsupported.

Kodi are quite good with support but it's only a matter of time.

Soldato
I use a H96 Pro 3GB 16GB with CoreElec (S912) directly installed onto the internal storage as I have no use for Android. Upgraded from a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (running LibreElec) earlier in the year and its been a great improvement.

Works great for 1080p and 4K playback, really snappy, no lag or anything, its butter smooth.
CEC works great for direct control with the TV remote, or a USB remote is an option.

If all you do is use kodi, I would highly recommend basically any S912 system (or higher) with CoreElec directly installed (can also use an SD card if you wanted)

Last edited:
Soldato
Any benefit of corelac over preloaded is and Kodi on top?

Downloaded image, I'll try from so can revert back. But assume you wiped internal so it's now permenant on rom? How did you do that?

Mine is alfawise h96 Pro plus s912

Soldato
Any benefit of corelac over preloaded is and Kodi on top?
Downloaded image, I'll try from so can revert back. But assume you wiped internal so it's now permenant on rom? How did you do that?
Mine is alfawise h96 Pro plus s912
Its supposed to be snappier as theirs no resources taken by the android system in the background (hard to test) but it makes sense.
Also you cant accidentally close kodi when you meant to go to the "home" kodi screen. I tried with just the kodi app within Android for awhile, but it just got annoying.
Yes internal wiped, but I have a copy of the stock android rom so I can go back to it if I wanted.

I installed to internal via the installtointernal script that uses PuTTY.
You do all the regular steps to install it to a SD card as you would normally, then run PuTTY and input a command to pull all the files from the SD card and put them onto the internal storage wiping android in the process.

You can also just put CoreElec on the SD card and run it through there as a dual boot so you never loose the android part (you just take the SD card out)

Here is good tutorial on the matter (its for LibreElec, but the same steps apply except the putty password will be openelec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQmg49wZUI

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok used a usb stick and got it working, guess SD card is faster than usb stick?

Seems ok but ir no longer working.

Won't install over internal as bit supported and if something goes wrong it's bricked, need full room (using super celeron) I guess once it's installed on SD card coreelac uses bootloader on box so like dual boot

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions but the H96 variants don't appear to have gigabit ethernet.
Doesn't matter which one you get, as long as its S912 or better with 3GB Ram+, theres lots with gigabyte ethernet, like the one you already have. I was just saying which I had. They are all the same hardware, so it doesn't matter what you get.
Ok used a usb stick and got it working, guess SD card is faster than usb stick?
Seems ok but ir no longer working.
Won't install over internal as bit supported and if something goes wrong it's bricked, need full room (using super celeron) I guess once it's installed on SD card coreelac uses bootloader on box so like dual boot
Yeah the included IR remote won't work as its programmed to the android rom.
SD card being better depends on the speed of the SD/USB.
You need to use CEC with your TV remote (works well) or a USB remote.
Also yes if something went wrong with internal install, it has a chance to brick it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would Microsoft media center remote control coreelac? I have one around. Only need up down left right select pause and play

Basically all I need is ir codes that control my box, as the supplied it remote doesn't work with coreelac

Soldato
Microsoft ir remote works! Don't need to use the USB dongle just the ms remote. So learnt codes onto mx850 and good to go.

Doesn't bring it out from off state to on but that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom