Windows 10

Caporegime
Anyone getting this at the moment with their USB devices?

My system is periodically turning off and then turning on any attached USB devices, ie unplugging them. My keyboard goes off, then my mouse, then they come back on again. I'm having to use the front USB ports instead now :/

Soldato
You and whoever thought that 32GB would not be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined every 6 months. :eek::o
This laptop has consistently failed when trying to install "feature" updates for a few years - and each time it's always been down to lack space. There are a few installed programs and maybe 100MB in user files, but even removing these won't gain enough space to update.

Why are you using the USB storage? Because the laptop has inadequate storage space? Why can't you just rely on the internal storage as your average buyer might intend on doing when buying a basic Windows computer?

I stand by what I said and 32GB simply isn't adequate for reasonable use.

Soldato
Anyone getting this at the moment with their USB devices?

My system is periodically turning off and then turning on any attached USB devices, ie unplugging them. My keyboard goes off, then my mouse, then they come back on again. I'm having to use the front USB ports instead now :/

Go to device manager and disable those items from being able to go to sleep.

Man of Honour
I'm struggling to remotely update a netbook with a 32GB eMMC drive from 1511 to anything above.

Can't delete some C:\OSRSS folder which is ~3.3GB in size and C:\Recovery which is ~2.3GB - that space could be used to force the machine into upgrading. Whoever thought that 32GB would be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined. :mad:

MS made changes in more recent updates to make them install a bit easier on 32GB devices but you have to get there first - somewhere around early 18xx builds you will encounter a big road block in terms of updating on a 32GB device so it is easier to simply do a clean install on latest media :(

If you have any real software also installed i.e. some come bundled with Office 365 components it becomes a big problem and the installation's way of dealing with space while offering to use additional USB storage, etc. doesn't help as it often sabotages its own efforts by making inefficient use of internal space each time it retries and additionally it seems fussy sometimes what external storage it will and won't use.

I found in the end I had to create update media as well as find a USB stick it was happy with (for temporary space while updating) to update 32GB devices from older builds to more recent ones as trying to do it via the Windows update process would always result in being ~100MB short of space whatever I did.

Whoever is working on Windows 10 developer wise these days are a complete joke and hideously out of touch and refuse to engage with the real end user experience even when given the chance.

EDIT: Fortunately I only have one 32GB Windows 10 device myself - but it has been a pain trying to assist several people with low end 2in1 devices, etc.

Soldato
MS made changes in more recent updates to make them install a bit easier on 32GB devices but you have to get there first - somewhere around early 18xx builds you will encounter a big road block in terms of updating on a 32GB device so it is easier to simply do a clean install on latest media :(

If you have any real software also installed i.e. some come bundled with Office 365 components it becomes a big problem and the installation's way of dealing with space while offering to use additional USB storage, etc. doesn't help as it often sabotages its own efforts by making inefficient use of internal space each time it retries and additionally it seems fussy sometimes what external storage it will and won't use.

I found in the end I had to create update media as well as find a USB stick it was happy with (for temporary space while updating) to update 32GB devices from older builds to more recent ones as trying to do it via the Windows update process would always result in being ~100MB short of space whatever I did.

Whoever is working on Windows 10 developer wise these days are a complete joke and hideously out of touch and refuse to engage with the real end user experience even when given the chance.

EDIT: Fortunately I only have one 32GB Windows 10 device myself - but it has been a pain trying to assist several people with low end 2in1 devices, etc.
That sounds like a nightmare. I honestly don't know how anybody could justify this sort of behaviour from an operating system as even remotely acceptable - it simply isn't. Your bog standard user might not know how to do half what you've described, so why should even have to even research how to circumvent a problem that Microsoft and manufacturers have created?

Soldato
KB4567523 was released yesterday, bringing 2004 users to build 19041.331.

Highlights
  • Updates an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing, generate print errors, or cause apps and print spoolers to close unexpectedly.

Improvements and fixes

This non-security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
  • Addresses an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing. The print spooler might generate an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer. You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from, such as receiving an error, or the app might close unexpectedly. This issue might also affect software-based printers, such as when printing to PDF.

Man of Honour
That sounds like a nightmare. I honestly don't know how anybody could justify this sort of behaviour from an operating system as even remotely acceptable - it simply isn't. Your bog standard user might not know how to do half what you've described, so why should even have to even research how to circumvent a problem that Microsoft and manufacturers have created?

It is some updates around 18xx somewhere that are the real problem (and/or moving from 18xx to the first 19xx build) - they've made changes more recently to facilitate it better but that means doing a clean install to a newer version which is a pain at the best of times never mind if supporting another user. The minimum specs are 16GB storage!

If they split out security and feature updates again and especially made it possible to streamline security updates better it would improve the update experience so much.

Associate
Good thing they focused on fixing the print issues

My whole system has felt very slow since the 2004 patch and it seems to be breaking comparability with all sorts. My onboard audio has been acting up as well.

really doesn’t feel like they are focused on what matters. And for such a big company I’m really surprised how buggy some of the releases are.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
My PC says - "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time." - is there any way to find out whats holding it up?

Caporegime
Still no hint of 2004 heading my way, I'm not even getting the same message as @V_R :cool:

Im still:-

20h1here.jpg

:D

Soldato
This laptop has consistently failed when trying to install "feature" updates for a few years - and each time it's always been down to lack space. There are a few installed programs and maybe 100MB in user files, but even removing these won't gain enough space to update.

Why are you using the USB storage? Because the laptop has inadequate storage space? Why can't you just rely on the internal storage as your average buyer might intend on doing when buying a basic Windows computer?

I stand by what I said and 32GB simply isn't adequate for reasonable use.

Unfortunately no you did not stand what you said was so wrong. I dare you to install 175GB Quantum Break on 64GB or 128GB eMMC/SSD.

Nope! You will realised internal storage is not enough for some games due this year and 2021 probably will have games that need 300GB NVMe SSD space each at very high speed 3GB/s, not SATA 500GB/s.

Every low end laptops and tablets up to £250 over the last 6 years all had eMMC soldered on motherboards. There was no way to upgrade to 64GB eMMC if people want to expand internal storage so the only way is to install apps and games on external USB stick/HDD/SSD storage. Same thing happened to many high end laptops and tablets over the last few years, I bought Surface Pro 6 on Black Friday sales, the tablet got 128GB storage ran Quantum Break fine from my 4TB USB external storage so I just found out 128GB SSD is soldered on motherboard then there is no way I can upgrade SSD on very expensive Surface Pro 6 tablet.

https://www.techpowerup.com/267338/sd-express-delivers-new-gigabyte-speeds-for-sd-memory-cards

Next few years will be interesting with next generation tablets and laptops will support very high speed NVMe Express enable people to use very high speed SD cards with 4GB/s transfer rate that will be 8 time faster than today SATA SSD speed to catch up with PS5 and Xbox XSX.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately no you did not stand what you said was so wrong. I dare you to install 175GB Quantum Break on 64GB or 128GB eMMC/SSD.

Nope! You will realised internal storage is not enough for some games due this year and 2021 probably will have games that need 300GB NVMe SSD space each at very high speed 3GB/s, not SATA 500GB/s.

Every low end laptops and tablets up to £250 over the last 6 years all had eMMC soldered on motherboards. There was no way to upgrade to 64GB eMMC if people want to expand internal storage so the only way is to install apps and games on external USB stick/HDD/SSD storage. Same thing happened to many high end laptops and tablets over the last few years, I bought Surface Pro 6 on Black Friday sales, the tablet got 128GB storage ran Quantum Break fine from my 4TB USB external storage so I just found out 128GB SSD is soldered on motherboard then there is no way I can upgrade SSD on very expensive Surface Pro 6 tablet.

https://www.techpowerup.com/267338/sd-express-delivers-new-gigabyte-speeds-for-sd-memory-cards

Next few years will be interesting with next generation tablets and laptops will support very high speed NVMe Express enable people to use very high speed SD cards with 4TB/s transfer rate that will be 8 time faster than today SATA SSD speed to catch up with PS5 and Xbox XSX.
I'm not sure if I am reading what you said wrong, or I'm just not getting the point you make. But you said:
You and whoever thought that 32GB would not be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined every 6 months. :eek::o
That post says to me you think 32GB is enough. I've already said it isn't and why.

I don't expect whoever buys a basic laptop with built-in eMMC storage to install massive games. Sure, some might try and get their money's worth from the machine, but gamers tend to know the minimum specifications required for a game. As @mrbell1984 says:
I wouldn't be installing something that big to start with. It's pretty obvious you would need a bigger drive to support that capacity install.

If I seem to have missed your point, let me know and perhaps elaborate further to help me understand better.

Back
Top Bottom