Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Been going for day trip walks the past few weekends, and it's just so nice to get out and about again :). Missed going up mountains a lot during lockdown. Now just looking forward to Snowdonia being reopened at some point - got lots of walks planned there too.

Bought various bits of kit during lockdown while dreaming of a chance to use them, think my best purchase was a rab borealis jacket. is a really lightweight softshell, is great at keeping the sun and wind off, while still being quite breathable and not too hot for warmer weather. I already had lots of thicker layers, and some thin fleeces, but no thin softshells like this, and I'm really sold on the idea now tbh. I had been looking at the mountain equipment echo, but the borealis is quite a bit cheaper and basically the same thing (but with an extra pocket).

After 4 years of it being a 'backup' option if things go pear shaped, ive mentally decided im going to thru-hike the PCT next year - covid19, B2 visa , USA politics, PCT hike permit permitting.
Fantastic - all the best if you can / do go through with it, it looks amazing. I've read a couple of blogs and watched various people's vlogs as they complete the PCT and wondered on and off about it myself. Love the idea of just getting stuck into an epic journey and all the challenges it will bring, all while travelling through some stunning landscapes.

Soldato
Oh man.. Me too.

This could get grim... when I can I start doing the south west coast path again using airbnbs and restaurants? I guess from the 4th? Or next year?

Soldato
That's not good news. I always used their price match which would match any price and beat it by 10% too. Actually, maybe that's partly why they went under?

I suspect they went under due to out of town sites and the fact most people have just given up on going away/doing anything outdoors.

There'll be much more of this.

Soldato
I think Go Outdoors is pretty much nationwide now.

To be honest I think they've been going downhill since being taken over - had an ever increasing amount of own-brand stuff, staff don't seem particularly knowledgeable, odd product range at certain times of the year, and an online reservation system which is obviously broken and they don't seem to care (whenever I've checked to see if something was in stock, it's been unavailable when I go to the actual shop).

I am quite surprised they have gone so soon - imagined a chain like Cotswold camping would be more vulnerable... But then maybe their business hasn't been as successful as I assumed jn recent years and maybe JD has taken too much money out or loaded them up with debt... Idk.

To be honest it might be a good thing for outdoor shops in the long run - give another chain the chance to grow, and maybe a reprive to other shops that were losing business to Go Outdoors price matches. Still, will be annoying if my local one closes and nothing replaces it (and sad for staff losing their jobs too obviously).

Associate
I think Go Outdoors is pretty much nationwide now.

To be honest I think they've been going downhill since being taken over - had an ever increasing amount of own-brand stuff, staff don't seem particularly knowledgeable, odd product range at certain times of the year, and an online reservation system which is obviously broken and they don't seem to care (whenever I've checked to see if something was in stock, it's been unavailable when I go to the actual shop).

I am quite surprised they have gone so soon - imagined a chain like Cotswold camping would be more vulnerable... But then maybe their business hasn't been as successful as I assumed jn recent years and maybe JD has taken too much money out or loaded them up with debt... Idk.

To be honest it might be a good thing for outdoor shops in the long run - give another chain the chance to grow, and maybe a reprive to other shops that were losing business to Go Outdoors price matches. Still, will be annoying if my local one closes and nothing replaces it (and sad for staff losing their jobs too obviously).

Definitely agree with you about the change in Go Outdoors since being taken over.

I used to like the fact that you had more quality stuff and a good range of items.

However, JD Sports has got rid of the good stuff in many departments and you ended up with a glorified JD Sports shop.

Soldato
an online reservation system which is obviously broken and they don't seem to care (whenever I've checked to see if something was in stock, it's been unavailable when I go to the actual shop).

Funny you mention that, I had to complain a while back, after reserving a product for click and collect online and driving 30 mins there and 30 mins back, the product was not there, they continually carried on showing the product in stock even after I'd raised the issue several times. They didn't seem to care or fix the issue. Completely wasting my time. Eventually got £20 compensation after using their useless customer service. No wonder they're in administration. I smiled when I read the news muwhaha.

Soldato
have a pair of Meindl walking shoes
stitching has started to come away from the toe box
they are barely a year old and i have the receipt, light use also
bought from go outdoors.
should i just take them back to the store. just want a replacement or repair
are they within rights to refuse or..?
anyone else taken shoes back that old?
only other option is Meindl themselves

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
have a pair of Meindl walking shoes
stitching has started to come away from the toe box
they are barely a year old and i have the receipt, light use also
bought from go outdoors.
should i just take them back to the store. just want a replacement or repair
are they within rights to refuse or..?
anyone else taken shoes back that old?
only other option is Meindl themselves

What's the warranty? I've had 2 pairs of Salomon ultra's refunded within the 2 year guarantee due to sole peeling on one and material splitting from light use

Soldato
What's the warranty? I've had 2 pairs of Salomon ultra's refunded within the 2 year guarantee due to sole peeling on one and material splitting from light use
not sure, i don't have the box anymore just the receipt
meindl have replied and asked where i'm from...
hopefully they want to help me, hard to tell at this point :p

did you go back to the shop or to Salomon?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
not sure, i don't have the box anymore just the receipt
meindl have replied and asked where i'm from...
hopefully they want to help me, hard to tell at this point :p

did you go back to the shop or to Salomon?

I didn't realise there was a 2 year warranty on the first pair until a friends split in the same place and Cotswolds exchanged them for him, I ordered through Amazon so didn't think they'd honour the warranty, after speaking with Salomon Amazon refunded me after double checking the warranty.

Soldato
Picked up a pair of Merrell Moab 2 Mid boots for £56 which isn't bad for Gore-Tex and Vibram, should have me happily hiking around Lake District this year. My Columbias were getting on a bit, not to mention they aren't suitable for summer anyway.

Speaking of, did Scafell Pike > Broad Craig > Great End with a walk back to Wasdale via Styhead Tarn this Wednesday gone, boy was that a hot one! Not a cloud in the sky, almost no wind and I went through my 2.5 litres of water very quick with a decent sunburn on arms and neck to boot.

Generally don't do well in the heat and was very dehydrated by the time I got back to the car. I've actually decided to invest into one of those water purification straws, as there was plenty of water around just didn't want to risk drinking it.

Soldato
Speaking of, did Scafell Pike > Broad Craig > Great End with a walk back to Wasdale via Styhead Tarn this Wednesday gone, boy was that a hot one! Not a cloud in the sky, almost no wind and I went through my 2.5 litres of water very quick with a decent sunburn on arms and neck to boot.

I really enjoy that stretch and the little scramble up and down at the foot Scafell Pike from Broad Crag. Every time I've done Scafell Pike I've started in Langdale and it's a great walk up the front Bowfell and across Esk Haus.

Back
Top Bottom