Sony A6600, Fuji XT 3 or?

Man of Honour
Got totally fed up lumbering my dslr around with the lenses and fancied a change. I want something much smaller. I don’t mind changing the lenses I just don’t want the bulk. That said I’m not totally against a point and click zoom either.

I like portrait and landscape.

my short list is the Sony A6600, the Fuji XT 3 or maybe even the Sony RX100 VII.

what do you guys think?

Associate
RX100 if you want something truly pocketable with a zoom range.

If you’re happy to use F2 primes, then the X-T3 is a decent shout. Micro Four Thirds also worth a look.

How often do you shoot in low light?

Associate
I had an X-T2 and a mate has the 3 , awesome pieces of kit , but then the sony A6600 some people say its the crop version of the a9 so i imagine the af and tracking will be insane

Man of Honour
OP
Occasionally but not often in low light. I like beach landscapes which I’ve been taking recently after 10pm up here in Scotland and it’s still light. Different story during the winter :)

the camera I have recently sold is the Nikon d7500 just to give you a comparison.

Associate
OK so you've had APS-C so if you're used to that sort of quality then you might as well skip the RX100 (though it does punch above it's weight).

I'd look at picking up a used X-T2 or X-E3 and a few F2 primes.

Soldato
I have a a6000, A7R2, and a XT3 - the 6000 is the smallest, the 6600 is a bit bigger. The XT3 and the a7r2 are pretty much the same size, there isn't much in it.
If you want APSC and compact, then either an a6xxx and a few primes or an X-E3 and a few primes. Once you start to look at semi decent zooms then the compact bit tends to disappear.
A6600 still has better AF than Fuji and IBIS, but Fuji give you the film simulations, good ergonomics and nice things like in camera focus stacking..

Man of Honour
OP
I’m thinking second hand Fuji XE 3 with a 18 55 maybe? Keeps the spend under £1k and should be sufficient. I’d like a wider lens too for the beautiful scenery round here but I may wait and see how it pans out. I’m not sure about Fuji lenses at all tbh.

the Sony looks like an excellent choice but after owning a d7500 I’m not sure a compact would keep my interest for long and I definitely can’t afford both.

Pet Northerner
Don
I’m thinking second hand Fuji XE 3 with a 18 55 maybe? Keeps the spend under £1k and should be sufficient. I’d like a wider lens too for the beautiful scenery round here but I may wait and see how it pans out. I’m not sure about Fuji lenses at all tbh.

the Sony looks like an excellent choice but after owning a d7500 I’m not sure a compact would keep my interest for long and I definitely can’t afford both.

argos have the T-x30 with lens kit for 699 at the moment

Associate
I am in the same boat as look to replace my DSLR with something else. I was looking at the G9 and surprised to find it not that much smaller than my Nikon DSLR but obviously the lenses are smaller and lighter.

Also contemplating the X-T3 and X-T4. I already got a RX100 which I usually throw in the bag or give to family to capture bits but always find it a fiddle or small sometimes when capturing family events.

Looking for a hybrid setup as shoot photo and video equally. Not sure how good the photo extraction is the Lumix range go on about.

Man of Honour
OP
So guys, for me, I think it's going to be Fuji. Hearing lots of praise about them. Fits the bill perfectly really, and nice and compact. But which one, and which lens? There are so many. It's daunting. I still like the look of the XT-3. I also still like the look of the XE-3, even though that is 3-4 years old now. If I go second hand, I can get more for my money. The AF concerns me a bit, as does lack of IS, or should it? Do the lenses handle IS?

Associate
@philstanbridge the 18-55 zoom is heralded as a great kit lens and has IS so offsets that concern. The 23/35 f2 primes are nice and light and the new 35mm f2 xc is cheap and could pick up a wide prime for landscape.

I might just save up a little more for the X-T4 and then grab a cheap X-T30 further down the line to give to the family to use over the RX100.

Back
Top Bottom