LG 27GL850 - Flickering

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Can I get a little advice?

I've had this monitor paired with a VEGA 64 using the supplied DisplayPort cable and recently I've noticed some pretty distracting flicker that I'm sure wasn't there previously. It's almost like PWM flicker or a poor implementation of backlight strobing. I'm still trying to rule things out and make it reproducible on demand.

If I set the desktop to 60Hz then it's very visible, however not at 144Hz. If I disable VSYNC then it's very visible, if I leave VSYNC on then it's intermittent, possibly tied to framerate and FreeSync adjusting the refresh rate to match the in-game FPS.

I don't currently have another DisplayPort cable but I'm trying to obtain that to rule it out, and I've tried multiple drivers, even removing using DDU but the issue remains.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Yeah, I had that same thing using a Vega 64 on a Dell S3220DGF and now on this much older LG 34UC88 that I'm running when Freesync is enabled. My other 1080p Freesync monitor didn't have this issue, at least not something I noticed. The difference between the Dell and the current LG in regards to the flickering is big with the LG doing a better job but it's there for sure. Tried 4 different cables including a recommended VESA certified Accell DP cable, a ton of different drivers and nothing helps. It's getting aggravating so I understand your pain but sadly it doesn't seem like there is a proper working fix for this as no one really knows what is causing it.

Soldato
OP
Thats a shame as I do like my VEGA, however I am glad it's not the monitor as finding a decent one with a fault free panel is a nightmare so I'd rather it be the GPU. I'll try and get a hold of a cheap nVdia GPU to test with.

Soldato
Vega 56 with MSI Optix MAG27CQ monitor here. I've been suffering with flicker for a while now, and had learnt to just deal with it. But I did some digging and apparently Freesync flicker is quite a common issue, most noticeable in games where the frame rate is fluctuating. Only solution appeared to be disabling Freesync. However, today I finally found a fix that's worked...

Reducing the maximum Freesync range of the monitor to a value just below the max refresh rate appears to solve it. Worked instantly for me, apparently works for most other users as well. Hope it helps :)

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Can I get a little advice?

I've had this monitor paired with a VEGA 64 using the supplied DisplayPort cable and recently I've noticed some pretty distracting flicker that I'm sure wasn't there previously. It's almost like PWM flicker or a poor implementation of backlight strobing. I'm still trying to rule things out and make it reproducible on demand.

If I set the desktop to 60Hz then it's very visible, however not at 144Hz. If I disable VSYNC then it's very visible, if I leave VSYNC on then it's intermittent, possibly tied to framerate and FreeSync adjusting the refresh rate to match the in-game FPS.

I don't currently have another DisplayPort cable but I'm trying to obtain that to rule it out, and I've tried multiple drivers, even removing using DDU but the issue remains.

Any ideas?

From experience and user feedback it seems brightness flickering occurs when Freesync is below the minimums or range of 48Hz and apparently common on VA panels.

I recently gifted my MSi Optix MAG272QR and 5700 to my daughter as a much needed upgrade and decided to purchase a AW2521HF followed with a 2070 Super and all sorted now.

However I tested the AW2521HF with the 5700 and the monitor acted weird and I've put this down to AMD drivers more than the monitors we swapped about.

Back
Top Bottom