Endless hardware issues

Caporegime
I don't know where to begin. My desktop works but it has so many hardware issues part of me thinks I need completely new hardware!

Gigabyte z87x-oc mobo
Evga supernovae 1000w p2
1070 gpu
8gb of ballistix ram (dunno specs)
I7 4770k
H100i cooler

1. Take 1-10 times to post.
Never been able to solve this issue. Tried an old Psu and have different problems

2.pushing power button for a few seconds.. Pc turns off, then immediately turns on.. Only way to shut down properly is in Windows

3. Hard drives suddenly vanish from bios. Reboot fixes

4. Cpu cooler Seems to be acting up, once get into windows fans speed up to full, then calm down.

Have tried
Another Psu, but not sure if that Psu is any good
Removing gpu but can't seem to get on board gpu to work.

Most frustrating is once in Windows things seem 'ok'

Something is clearly off. I have a feeling the mobo is the issue. But how can it be fine after boot?

Also, I tried reseating a few bits and I struggled to even get the pc to turn on

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you had the cpu out off the motherboard at all ? if so check for bent pins as this can cause multiple issues.

Are you running that last bios released for your board ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1. Take 1-10 times to post.
Never been able to solve this issue. Tried an old Psu and have different problems

2.pushing power button for a few seconds.. Pc turns off, then immediately turns on.. Only way to shut down properly is in Windows

3. Hard drives suddenly vanish from bios. Reboot fixes

4. Cpu cooler Seems to be acting up, once get into windows fans speed up to full, then calm down.
2. have you disabled all the wake-on stuff in the BIOS?
If your mobo has clear cmos and power on/off buttons on the rear I/O are they completely unobstructed?
Checked your front panel connectors and case switches are alright?

3. Is there an option to delay boot? When I've had a board that offered this option (old Intel and Asus boards definitely did) I always added a few seconds delay to help with detection.

4. Isn't this normal?

Soldato
I'd blame the mobo flash the latest bios and easier said than done Try a different mobo.. Unless you close to bicester then I have a spare

Soldato
slightly off topic had a problem with a z170 and 6600k build, had multiple boot problems and ram not showing up, nothing had changed in a long while, so couldn't understand why it all of a sudden didnt work anymore, it was only when i took out the cpu i saw a pin had partially snapped and wasn't sitting properly against the cpu, upon looking closer to try and fix the pin thats when it fell out and that was that, the board then kicked into life but i had lost 1 ram slot which sucked.

luckly my newphew was due a updrade so i eneded up building a 2nd gen ryzen machine for him :)

Associate
Strip it completely out out the case.
Check and rebuild using minimal hardware to see if it stays stable in cold boot.
I would not use the H100i but cheap air cooler for testing.
How old is the PSU?
When did issues first start?

Man of Honour
Try the easy things first. First thing to do is check that everything is still securely seated. I would go as far as removing components from their slots/sockets and putting them back in, PSU connections included. Next, as drakulton suggests, change the cmos battery. A battery on the way out can cause all sorts of weird problems. If it still plays up flash to the latest motherboard bios which is F9c if you don't already have it. If you are running a overclock write down any settings before flashing as it will wipe the bios. Once flashed clear cmos and then load optimised defaults and see if it works. If it works then either the bios needed to be updated or one or more settings had caused it. If it's still broke I see little option but to remove everything from the case and test externally.

Caporegime
OP
It's very old

Issues have been going on for months, had a 12 month gap if being in storage too. Problems before and after storage.

Everything is old.

I'm gonna get a battery ordered
And trying components one by one.

I just can't get my head round how a pc can be fine in use but have so many boot issues!

Caporegime
OP
Update.

At the moment the suspect is looking like a ram stick.

Took 1 out, same problem.
Took other out.. No reboot.

As this is n intermittent problem it's not confirmed yet.

Didn't work.
Convinced this board is the issue. Probably going to just live with it. As it works fine otherwise

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Further update.

Very strange

Got a new cmos battery :
no difference

Tried 1 stick of ram :
Seems more stable, but it's not a particular stick that causes the problem, it seems to be 2 sticks

Bios switch :
My bios was switched to 'backup' so I flicked the switch to primary and seem to be getting no issues at present.
No idea how long it was on backup. Might even have just knocked it

I believe it was/is something to do with ram.
When the boot failed the last few times the ram leds didn't come on, and the board diagnostic code seemed to stall on ram error codes.

At the moment I'm still on the idea of 'deal with it'.
I have rebooted 10 times now and no issues. But will need to leave it off overnight. As it can go a day or 2 with no issues before trouble shooting

Things I have done
New cmos battery
Every ram combination (different slots, single and dual attempts)
Bios switched from backup to primary.

Caporegime
OP
Bravo, well done for the fix. Frustrating isn't it! Beeping computers!

I'm even impressed with myself.
Was hours away from an expensive and time consuming part swap out.

Not missed a beat since. Its literally 100 percent fixed.

How is it even possible for a bios to be that dodgy but computer still boots?!

Soldato
Glad you have it running properly now, but.

Isn't using the power button forcing a shut down?

Thought the only way to safely shut down Windows was from the start menu.

Back
Top Bottom