The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Didn't do the long steady ride as I was out on Sunday for 3 hours on the mtb so decided to just race today and make it a sort of FTP test.

First race got a puncture as it started to settle down, changed that and jumped into what I thought was a 16 mile race but was actually 26. It works out well as it went to an hour for FTP test.

I need to look out for races that are seperate groups, first time up the climb I was surrounded by a lot of A riders and it was very hard. Eventually settled down on the flat to a group of guys shelled from the front group. Second time up the climb was easier but still hard. I decided to sprint from 300m but got caught on the line by quite a few riders. Max power on this turbo must be 720ish going by the power curve on the two races I've done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3619569238/overview

Soldato
OP
I think I might try and do one of the 3.7km sprints tomorrow. No idea what to expect, but why not?

How do you pace those things? Fast out the gate, then keep it going? lol it's not like 1km where you just go balls out the whole way... I don't think I could do that but think I could give a good bash at maxing out for most the time! We will see if I have the balls.

Soldato
I think I might try and do one of the 3.7km sprints tomorrow. No idea what to expect, but why not?

How do you pace those things? Fast out the gate, then keep it going? lol it's not like 1km where you just go balls out the whole way... I don't think I could do that but think I could give a good bash at maxing out for most the time! We will see if I have the balls.

If you have a decent recent effort to go out, I'd guess 5mins30secs to 6mins on your power chart.

Been a while since I tried one of these super sprint events, potentially very open to category abuse.

Soldato
Hi all,
Likely the most common question of all time but looking to get into indoor cycling. I am wanting to start on a budget. Is my best/most cost effective route into this with something like the Tac-X Blue Matic and a TacX Speed + Cadence Sensor?

I have seen a few second hand models on the bay etc, something like Tacx Satori T2400 near me is under £100. Would that be a good starting point as long as its in good nick? its a few years old but for my basic/starter needs it could be worth a shot?

The T2400 I would seemingly bluetooth to my iPad and just run zwift on that?

Cheers all

Soldato
OP
So I have 2 vortexes... One broke about 4yrs ago and they sent me a new whole brake and stuff, which I still use today. I found the old bricked brake (it's the whole part that fits to the frame) when doing my garage. I got on to tacx/garmin and after a chat with some dude, I managed to unbrick it with some hacky stuff to make it work. Worked! Now I have that part but not the frame. I have been trying to find a spare frame only but it's seemingly impossible!?

I've dropped them an email to see if I can buy one but not heard anything back. Anyone with crazy google FU able to source me one?

Associate
Hi all,
Likely the most common question of all time but looking to get into indoor cycling. I am wanting to start on a budget. Is my best/most cost effective route into this with something like the Tac-X Blue Matic and a TacX Speed + Cadence Sensor?

I have seen a few second hand models on the bay etc, something like Tacx Satori T2400 near me is under £100. Would that be a good starting point as long as its in good nick? its a few years old but for my basic/starter needs it could be worth a shot?

The T2400 I would seemingly bluetooth to my iPad and just run zwift on that?

Cheers all
Others will probably be better to advise, but I understand you can do Zwift with that Tac-X. From what I understand, Zwift needs a means to track speed and cadence, but I'd sit tight and wait for someone more experienced to advise you on this.

Soldato
Others will probably be better to advise, but I understand you can do Zwift with that Tac-X. From what I understand, Zwift needs a means to track speed and cadence, but I'd sit tight and wait for someone more experienced to advise you on this.
Cheers mate, yeah the Tac-X with the sensors can transmit data to Zwift. I might go for the Tacx T2400 if the price is reasonable however as the sensors require attaching things to bike and a bit more of a faff.

Soldato
So I have 2 vortexes... One broke about 4yrs ago and they sent me a new whole brake and stuff, which I still use today. I found the old bricked brake (it's the whole part that fits to the frame) when doing my garage. I got on to tacx/garmin and after a chat with some dude, I managed to unbrick it with some hacky stuff to make it work. Worked! Now I have that part but not the frame. I have been trying to find a spare frame only but it's seemingly impossible!?

I've dropped them an email to see if I can buy one but not heard anything back. Anyone with crazy google FU able to source me one?
Often seen Vortexs on the wiggle eBay store. Some look in "interesting" condition so seem to go for low price. Though this was before lockdown and the turbo trainer demand surge.

Soldato
Didn't make the race I meant to so got a 4 minute warm up and jumped into a C race. 285W for 30 mins felt hard enough
#sandbagger!

That's NOT a good thing.
Be very, very suspicious and add a big dose of worried also.
Agreed. Stockpile some serious browny points before you cancel anything she's arranged to go Zwifting...

I acutally leant my Neo 2 out to one of the kids from the club yesterday, perfect timing with all this grim weather we're having....
Haha, doh! Very short term loan? ;)

My left foot unclipped at 830w in the sprint of a zwift race yesterday.
I nearly ate some garage wall. Not fun. Do not recommend.
Ooooft! Worn cleats are a usual one for this. I used to have my tension wound right up to stop it but tweaked cleat position a bit better so I was floating less... As a few times at the end of a hard session I'd not be able to unclip for many... MANY minutes haha

Once you are more than 5m off the back unless the group just totally sits up (which never happens) or there’s a small downhill/uphill it’s almost impossible to get back on.
So much DoubleDraft around these days, it's on for nearly every race.

I decided to sprint from 300m but got caught on the line by quite a few riders. Max power on this turbo must be 720ish going by the power curve on the two races I've done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3619569238/overview
Over 40 seconds faster than my best time up Titans... Le sigh.

They just drafted you and kicked later/harder. I always get swarmed if I go that late, I have to go 400m or further and rely on a second or third kick if someone has drafted me well rather than just hanging on... Like on Tuesday.

ha checked ZP...

C6lsw1x.png

I'll take that bad boy!
Good stuff! Beating lightweight female riders in a sprint race. #dontcarestillwinning ;)

As Chris says, Wiggle ebay I've seen them every now and again. I'm sure I've seen one of those european sites which stock lots of Tacx stuff. Part of me thinks Rose but then part of me thinks not. Not really sure where else I'd be looking really.

Associate
I did the tour around Central Park last night and I've concluded that I desperately need fans, 22km with some 16% inclines absolutely destroyed me. I one segment in particular the KOM was 3:42, my effort was more 8 minutes :D

Soldato
#sandbagger!

So much DoubleDraft around these days, it's on for nearly every race.

Over 40 seconds faster than my best time up Titans... Le sigh.

They just drafted you and kicked later/harder. I always get swarmed if I go that late, I have to go 400m or further and rely on a second or third kick if someone has drafted me well rather than just hanging on... Like on Tuesday.

Haha mate even C category is hard. So many should be B and so many Bs should be A.

I think I meant 0.3 miles out to be fair! I misread numbers being thay goosed. I did wait until 2-300m for the volcano sprint and smashed the group I was in. 830w for 15s due to the turbo limiting it.

Apparently my FTP is 301W now.

What's this double draft?

Soldato
What's this double draft?

It lets people sit on groups that really have no capability of actually doing so when they should be getting spat.
It stops breaks/attacks from being possible at all.

Someone riding 2w/kg can sit on the wheel of someone doing 4.5.... it's utterly ridiculous. It takes the already way too strong drafting physics and makes them even stronger.

Soldato
Sit on. Contribute nothing. Act like a hitter on Strava afterwards.
Standard for 90% of club blokes of the UK :p No wonder it is rife on Zwift as well! haha.

Pretty much!
We have one person who's really bad at that in our club. Things got worse after he got a new bike with a PWM. So when he manages to get the KOM (probably by starting it last, but then finishing it first at the end), it's pretty obvious how little he did, when his power is over 100W less than me for example, and you can see he's freewheeling loads due to the cadence data too.

Soldato
It lets people sit on groups that really have no capability of actually doing so when they should be getting spat.
It stops breaks/attacks from being possible at all.

Someone riding 2w/kg can sit on the wheel of someone doing 4.5.... it's utterly ridiculous. It takes the already way too strong drafting physics and makes them even stronger.

I see so breaks pretty much never happen?

Last ride the group did about 350-360w up the drag and I went to 420w over the top into 500w for about 15 seconds and couldn't keep a gap. I'd say going on level of effort that would be making people hurt.

Back
Top Bottom