Bloody Foxes!

Soldato
It's nature,it's all good.
Buy living in the centre of Sheffield I saw far more foxs than towards the country side.

Now cats on the other hand destroy wildlife,crap in your garden ,dig up your flower beds and make all the local cat lovers attempt to trap/kill foxs and birds of prey to save the little buggers.

Anyway...hamsters are cool.

Soldato
It's nature,it's all good.

Now cats on the other hand destroy wildlife,crap in your garden ,dig up your flower beds and make all the local cat lovers attempt to trap/kill foxs and birds of prey.

Anyway...hamsters are cool.
I agree that cats are a disaster for local bird populations. My jet sprayer/shed roof spikes keep cats and foxes out and the birds are safe now :)

Soldato
We was very shocked to see a hunt going last Christmas in a field. Hounds and all. I didn't know if it was still legal or not but there were loads of them.

They're supposed to drag hunt these days aren't they?

Basically just set a scent trail so they can all charge off and pretend there's a fox at the end.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I grew up rurally and when I was younger it was very very quiet on a still summers night. When a fox was letting a scream rip it was quite harrowing, sounded like a woman screaming. Living in a rural town now it's fairly quiet but nothing like where I grew up, I miss the quiet and the wildlife. Could happily just lay on my bed in silence listening to the calm nothing, it's a great feeling even when some of the wild pests start giving it large.

Should hear the dairy farm noises down the road instead, ooh arr.

Man of Honour

Basically just set a scent trail so they can all charge off and pretend there's a fox at the end.

Not according to the saboteurs they aren't drag hunting but I suspect there is two sides to the stories.

Soldato
Not according to the saboteurs they aren't drag hunting but I suspect there is two sides to the stories.

I can imagine more than a few hunts get "confused" and end up chasing a fox.

The village I grew up in was a point in the Quorn Hunt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn_Hunt

There were all sorts there, from the ones that would have chased a peasant, to those who just loved horses and the chase but were uncomfortable with the end, obviously not to the point they didn't hunt in the first place.

Soldato
Get plenty calling out here too - it's not a nice sound to sleep too!!

There are cubs about on our cul-de-sac now lately too so even more noise to come; kinda wish they'd go elsewhere though really as they aren't bothered by humans unless you actively go after them - they try opening the little lock-handle green food waste bins on collection day too grrrr!

We do have a group of watchful crows that follow them about making lots of noise to warn everyone of their presence ... Had 5 crows sat crowing away on the wall outside our front garden the other day :/ noisy!!

Permabanned
The crows are just scavenging on what the foxes root out, like gulls follow trawlers.

There's probably nothing to stop you using a humane fox trap (I have one here if you have never seen one) in the cities, but what are you going to do with a live adult fox in a cage that is too long for most estate car load areas? If you take it away you best take it a LONG way they will just make their way back to home territory otherwise. Killing it humanely is not for the feint hearted with no gun. Plus the trap needs examining VERY regularly as they can get highly agitated and distressed once caught. If you DO get the trap and fox in the car, be sure to have all the windows down, they stink and are usually riddled with fleas.... And yes, they are not very big, but they can give you a painful bite, and you need to be sure you have had your tetanus jab before battle commences.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get loads of them in our street, they seem to live by the side of the Tube track, saw eight of them playing together by South Ealing Station. I like them around but the screaming thing has given me nightmares several times, I hear them when I'm asleep and interpret it into something dying/killing me in my dreams.

Soldato

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
Humans are vermin not foxes.

I’ll second that, they’ve never harmed me nor mine, Rotherhithe supports a gazillion foxes, in the evening and through the night if you drive around Brunel Road/Salter Road, you’ll see them loping around, with that expression on their faces, “Don’t interrupt me, places to go and people to see.”
We live in a three storey town house, our kitchen is on the first floor, at the back, and a sliding door opens on to the extended balcony, which has a metal staircase to the back garden.
Most mornings, when I slide back the kitchen door, our resident fox, Arthur, is sound asleep under the table where we have coffee and bagels in good weather.
His tail will flicker, in recognition that hey, it’s Jean, he’s cool, and it’s a good bet that he’ll have some bacon rinds for me, but if my wife opens the door, he hightails it out of there, even though she loves him to bits, and wouldn’t dream of harming him.
Maybe Arthur thinks, “man good, woman not so much”, or maybe wherever he hung out before, the lady of the house shouted at him.

Back
Top Bottom