PC Game Pass (was Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Soldato
I've got one of the 3 month Game Pass codes. If I use that, will I still be able to get the introductory price of £3.99? Or if I use the code will I lose out on the introductory offer?

Depending on the pass, may simply be able to apply it after you use the introductory price to simply extent the period. There are some pass's though which you can only use with a brand new account for first time which can catch you out so just double check.

Soldato
Also something I found out after HOURS of trying to fix the same issue as above. An agent mentioned that the games in the Xbox App all use encryption for installation and require a drive formatted to NTFS 4096 bytes file allocation size or higher. Whoever formatted mine for me before they gave me it set it to 64k and I never bothered to check, I couldn't get anything to install but after formatting the drive everything started to install properly and hopefully work correctly

Worth reading up yourself before going and formatting anything but it's something else to check :)

Associate
Also something I found out after HOURS of trying to fix the same issue as above. An agent mentioned that the games in the Xbox App all use encryption for installation and require a drive formatted to NTFS 4096 bytes file allocation size or higher. Whoever formatted mine for me before they gave me it set it to 64k and I never bothered to check, I couldn't get anything to install but after formatting the drive everything started to install properly and hopefully work correctly

Worth reading up yourself before going and formatting anything but it's something else to check :)

I have an external game drive I was trying to install games I don't play that often on such as Forza horizon 3 and star citizen. But they would not work, steam games seemed to be fine though. Looking at it now it is set to exFAT so I am wondering if that was the issue. :mad: The problem is I don't have the space to move everything onto another drive and it will take a week to re download everything with my connection.

Soldato
I have an external game drive I was trying to install games I don't play that often on such as Forza horizon 3 and star citizen. But they would not work, steam games seemed to be fine though. Looking at it now it is set to exFAT so I am wondering if that was the issue. :mad: The problem is I don't have the space to move everything onto another drive and it will take a week to re download everything with my connection.

By a cheap 2nd hand drive? Not sure if it's worth the effort, but you can pick up 500gb sata drives for less than a tenner.

Soldato
By a cheap 2nd hand drive? Not sure if it's worth the effort, but you can pick up 500gb sata drives for less than a tenner.
Probably your best bet. I feel your pain though. My drive was my 2tb which has origin, gog, epic....well everything except steam! On it and had to just format it. Thank goodness for 400mb/sec virgin line!

Soldato
Probably your best bet. I feel your pain though. My drive was my 2tb which has origin, gog, epic....well everything except steam! On it and had to just format it. Thank goodness for 400mb/sec virgin line!

Though I've not had to format, I have a 1tb portable external drive that has been great for transferring photos/videos etc from one computer to another at times.

Caporegime
OP
Not something I tried have to admit, thought with mountain of data and allocation size differentiation in my case would have been full of headaches

Not necessarily. :p I've done it before with FAT32, it takes just a few minutes. But haven't tried it with exFAT before. Mind you, this wasn't your problem. The NTFS block size issue can't be fixed with the convert command.

Associate
I have too many small SSDs and not enough sata ports. I'm a bit OCD with my drives, I have separate ones for steam, uplay, origin and a one just for Arma 3. It annoys me when drives are in the red. I have plenty of space for most of the games I play but my internet is pretty crap, so I got the external USB drive I use to back up games and store the ones I don't play very often.

Soldato
A public service announcement: Don't install Football Manager 2020 if you are married, it will end in divorce.

Oh and don't play Alien Isolation alone at night, it might send you to an early grave through shock.

Soldato
I see Metro Exodus has now left gamepass. I've still got it installed and it's still letting me play it. I was under the impression once games left you were buggered?! What gives?

EDIT - just found this on the FAQ page https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/pc-games#faq:

------------

Once a game leaves the Xbox Game Pass library, you will need to purchase a digital copy from the Xbox app or the Microsoft Store, insert a disc, or obtain another form of entitlement to continue playing the game. Remember, Xbox will notify members prior to a game leaving the Xbox Game Pass library. And, as a member, you can purchase any game in the library for up to 20% off (or the best available discounted price) to continue playing a game once it leaves the library. Xbox Game Pass discounts are not combinable with other offers and are not redeemable for cash; discount offers exclude games within 30 days of launch and are not available with selected games; discounts based on Microsoft Store price.

------------

I know gamepass is buggy as ****, but is it so buggy it's still letting me play a game that has left the library?? :D

EDIT 2
- Just tried to launch the game again after quitting and making this post, and now it won't load and I get the message:

Metro Exodus (Windows) is currently not available in your account. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001

Hahahahahaha - The bloody irony!

Ahh well, that is as I would expect, at least now I know. Wasn't that great a game anyway tbh, I got around half way through and lost interest. I found the dialogue and overall feel very wooden. Time to get some SSD space back...

Last edited:
Associate
I see Metro Exodus has now left gamepass. I've still got it installed and it's still letting me play it. I was under the impression once games left you were buggered?! What gives?

:( meant to play that but never got round to it

I just downloaded Observation but I think I better finish the outer worlds before that leaves

Back
Top Bottom