• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My i7 2600K build is still good 10 years on - What current CPU has best VFM over the next 10 years?

Associate
I managed to get a cheap 3770k (compared to the price of upgrading everything) so swapped out my 2500k and can definitely see the improvements on minimum frame rates. Definitely runs hotter than the 2500k (most likely due to the differences under the IHS) but it's ok under normal workloads. Tried repasting which improved it a bit. I may well try and delid it and improve that at some point to see what it does. I can always stick in the 2500k again if I break it or leave it as is and flog it on ebay for about as much as I paid for it.

C64

C64

Soldato
I was going to say the 3700x in answer to the posed question but something tells me it will be a much faster clock speed 8/16 5ghz +

C64

C64

Soldato
I am in a similar situation. My i7 5930K at 4.5Ghz is doing everything I need just fine but the upgrade itch is killing me. I always look around reviews, benchmarks and forum discussion to see if it is worth upgrading but again I feel like it won't be a big jump in performance. My mobo died about a year ago and people here recommended me to stick to x99 and buy a second hand board. I took that advice and think it was the right decision. When I first built this system I did not even know about the pcie lanes but was happy mine was 40 as I am runnning dual GPU setup. I think I will keep my CPU a little longer and maybe upgrade my GPU instead when the next 3xxx series or big Navi from AMD comes out but nevertheless concerned that the new consoles will make my 6c/12t obsolete.
I doubt it and the new consoles are just gimmicks i bet most of the games that come out only get 60 fps at 1080p let alone 4k i'll believe it when I see it
I just cant see how they can have the required power and cooling in these little boxes for 4k

Last edited:
Associate
Similar position here, i7-4790 holding its own like Bernard Hopkins in his 40's, My issue is now i want to go balls deep into vr racing sims, itching to upgrade but feel now isn't the best time with the next gen cp and gp u's not too far away.

Associate
Similar position here, i7-4790 holding its own like Bernard Hopkins in his 40's, My issue is now i want to go balls deep into vr racing sims, itching to upgrade but feel now isn't the best time with the next gen cp and gp u's not too far away.

I'm in a similar situation with my 4770k @4.5ghz and a 1080ti. I need a bit more performance to run ACC comfortably on my rift S but just don't know what route to go. Is intel still the way to go for racing Sims and vr? Is a newer gen 9700k at 5.2ghz going to be better for SIM rigs than a next gen amd Ryzen chip running lower clock speeds?? Ive got the itch to buy at the moment but really wanna see if the next gen amd can bring higher gaming performance on our Sims . Really hard decision

Soldato
I managed to get a cheap 3770k (compared to the price of upgrading everything) so swapped out my 2500k and can definitely see the improvements on minimum frame rates. Definitely runs hotter than the 2500k (most likely due to the differences under the IHS) but it's ok under normal workloads. Tried repasting which improved it a bit. I may well try and delid it and improve that at some point to see what it does. I can always stick in the 2500k again if I break it or leave it as is and flog it on ebay for about as much as I paid for it.

Out of interest, what did you pay for your 3770k?

Caporegime
many cpus will last ten years but will they be anywhere near what you want i doubt it right now x6 is what you want and soon with new consoles for the next 5 years is will be 8 cores. what many people dont tell you is many modern games dont cater for more than 8 cores and actually the performance can be a lot worse on anything over 6. so aim for 5 years if buying now or soon and get 8. i personally wouldnt buy now on a adequate pc. wait for the newer AMD cpus this year. probably the first time they will get in front of intel. for gaming.

Associate
4700x will be the one to get I reckon. 6 cores will just get out dated like i5's a few years ago. Best to go for 8 core, 4000 series should bring some nice fps gains.

Man of Honour
If you want 10 years then I think you've got to go 8+ cores. But maybe ask yourself if that's really what you want, you might be better off buying something for 5 years and then upgrading it (i.e. spend a bit less today on something that is perfectly adequate now, but leaving some budget aside for an upgrade to something more suited for the latter half of the decade. Shame I can't sketch a chart on here but basically if you imagine having a graph with time on the x-axis and performance on the y-axis, you'd put CPU performance supplied as a flat line going across and then cpu performance required as a diagonal line rising over time. Basically what I'm saying is maybe start with a weaker cpu i.e. the perf supplied line is lower on the chart and hence intersects with the perf required line earlier. But at that point you then buy a new cpu which puts the performance supplied line higher than if you'd just bought a better cpu to begin with. This then delays the performance required line from overtaking the performance supplied line until much later.

It will cost slightly more money but you get more from it if better cpus come out in future at a reaosnable cost.

C64

C64

Soldato
my 2500k is being laid to rest soon didn't have the heart to build the new 3600 yet even though all the parts are here

Soldato
I am in the same boat as the OP and many other posters here.

Still running my trusty Sandybridge i7-2600k clocked @4.2ghz, 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz, upgraded the GPU to an EVGA 1070 8GB a couple of years ago.

Looking at how little CPU tech has improved, I am kind of wondering what returns on investing in a new CPU/motherboard/RAM will provide but......

I thought my 4770k/Asus SabertoothZ87vwith 16gb was OK but upgrading to a R5 3600 has made considerable difference to my minimal FPS numbers and overall smoothness in games.

...this is a thing.

I don't play competative games really, and most of my games run pretty smooth at 60fps, 1440p and it suits me fine, BUT, I play PUBG now and then, and the low FPS spikes I get, always seem to happen at the worst moments, and basically get you killed. After playing it at my brothers place on his new Ryzen build, the whole game just feels MUCH smoother, even though the reported frame rate isnt that different. The other thing about the low FPS spikes it that it hits everything, input lag, netcode lag etc, so its not great.

But part of me wonders, am I really THAT bothered?

However there is the other side......

I wonder if, people on 2nd gen i5s/i7s have ridden the "look at me my CPU has lasted a decade" wave for so long, we don't want to admit that finally, actually, CPU technologoy is now a fair chunk better. Or maybe we have become so attached to a peice of hardware, sad as it sounds, we just dont want to let it go?

I think I am heading towards getting a new system, part of me thinks if my motherboard bricked itself now, id actually be a little bit pleased?

But.... the sensible side of me thinkgs two things. 1. Due to the pandemic etc, people working from home, the demand and supply, hardware prices are up at the monent. 2. The new gen of AMD CPU's is getting some hype. 2. Personal note but, given everythign I'd like to make sure my job is stable(ish) before forking about probably heading towards a grand for a decent upgrade.

One thing is sure, when I do eventually replace this CPU I am framing it.

EDIT: seems I cant count, meh whatever :)

Soldato
Just noticed this thread and thought I’d add to it.

My PC:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo
i7 2600k @ 5.1ghz
12gb Ram
1070 GTX

PC was built in 2011 and I have all the receipts from OCUK still. The CPU ran at 5.1ghz our of the box with a mild voltage push (obviously can’t remember what it is). The rig is housed in a monstrous Corsair 880d.

It was built as my first water cooled project and initially had a ATI 6970 that was also cooled with an EK waterblock. The GPU was eventually replaced by an Amd R290 that lasted a good amount of years running on air and again that was replaced by a 1070. Both latter cards bought off the OCUK MM. I have gamed at 1080p for years and this machine handles it incredibly well.

I do have plans for a PC rebuild using Ryzen as a base but given I’m moving into an apartment at long last soon the PC may have to wait until the year end maybe. I absolutely love that this PC has remained as strong as it has over the years.

My Flickr album build pics back then.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kainz/albums/72157627036001658

GPU Block
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kainz/albums/72157627135736869

Caporegime
Bought a new (refillable this time) AIO cooler for my 2700K.

Temps dropped 20 to 30 degrees vs my old one which hadn't got enough fluid left to function properly...

Might bump the PC back to 5.

Associate
I'd get a 3900X if I wanted a CPU to last 10 years. It's got the IPC and cores to last a decade and with the new consoles many games will need 8 cores. For productivity regardless whether you edit video etc now it will still be good if you got
into editing/streaming games in the future. I wouldn't get an 8 core now (I've had one for 5+ years) although I'm sure they'll be mostly fine in 10 years time. E6600 Was 2007 and it didn't take long after that before games/software started to utilise 4 cores.

Back
Top Bottom