Anyone sued anyone on ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Seems a bit petty if you ask me. I could Not personally be bothered.
But I do understand the sense of frustration due to a lot of very selfish inward people using eBay.

Like everywhere you do get clowns, and they are annoying.

On this occasion I can’t see any solution other than let this one go and move on to the next one.

Caporegime
Now given that I already have a letter before action template ready for exactly this kind of thing and the cost and effort of going to court is so small at a mere £25 it seems like a small price to pay to destroy this guy's credit rating even if I never get compensated for the loss he caused me.

Is everything okay at home?

when I could have the money in investment accounts accruing interest?

TzH721R.png

I'm sure you'd have your Lamborghini by now if it wasn't for those pesky ebay cancellations.

*please don't sue me mr big scary wolf of wall street

Pet Northerner
Don
Yeah i know, wasn't have a dig yourself. Ebay is a really strange place for buying and selling.

If i'm selling something i always watch a bunch of the same item before to see how much they go for and what condition then base my price around that. But i've seen prices differentiate massively like over £200 sometimes, just depends what time of day it is and who wants it.

I really wanna know what the item was now.

my guess is a Camera, or a lens

Caporegime
OP
Individual experiences of small claims aren't going to help you. The same case before two different judges could end up with two different results.

If I told you I had a similar case, and lost, I doubt it wouldn't make a ha'p'orth of difference to what you're going to do.

He was honest with you, does that make him truly contemptible?

For 99.99% of us this wouldn't be worth the candle but, as I said, you're a man on a mission. A mission to destroy this guy for his honesty.

There was more to it than that, he tried to make a derisory offer for less than the item ended up selling for, which completely contradicted his own story, if he had changed his mind then why start trying to negotiate below the market value? "Chancer" comes to mind.

No. A contemptible individual would have broken the item and then opened an Item Not As Described case against you, claiming it arrived that way - resulting in you being out of pocket for shipping both ways, plus stuck with an item worth significantly less than before.

Which is exactly what you'll be encouraging them to do if you decide to try and punish them for their honesty.

Also if you are selling as a business (which it sounds like, since you mention it affecting your cashflow), then they are absolutely within their rights to "on a whim to change their mind". If not, then perhaps you need to look at budgeting better so that you aren't reliant on ad-hoc Ebay sales to manage your personal finances - after all, what would you have done if the item hadn't sold?

No I'm not a business.

Caporegime
There was more to it than that, he tried to make a derisory offer for less than the item ended up selling for, which completely contradicted his own story, if he had changed his mind then why start trying to negotiate below the market value? "Chancer" comes to mind.

People will try it on to save some money. Doesn't mean they deserve to have their credit rating nerfed. You have to accept that you'll come across messers and chancers on eBay.

Caporegime
His story makes zero difference to his decision, he cancelled anyway. You just need to set a reserve that you want to sell for minimum. What he offered first isn’t a water line for which the market is willing to pay, it merely is/was what he was willing to pay which he backed out and he got the appropriate punishment for it within the rules of eBay, Terms and Conditions which both parties signed up for when they signed up for an account. You would have to prove to the court of your loss, your loss isn’t what he won the auction by, if it is the same auction that he pulled out of. This is clear in black and white that your loss is some form of emotional trauma to your pride, good luck proving that as a material loss to the court.

The entire thing is petty and has nothing to do with recovering your losses, you just want to hurt him…which by the way, will get the case thrown out because the doctrine of promissory estoppe is that it a Shield; Not a Sword.

Caporegime
OP
People will try it on to save some money. Doesn't mean they deserve to have their credit rating nerfed. You have to accept that you'll come across messers and chancers on eBay.

Nor does he have to, there is plenty of room for negotiation before initiating court proceedings.

People seem to be under the wrong impression here. If a judgement is made and the defendant pays there is no impact on credit rating. The persons credit rating is only damaged if they fail to comply with the courts directions.

Soldato
I bet you don't win. Seriously I really don't think you have legitimate grounds here. I would save the £25 and not throw good money after bad.

Associate
Please. This is a contemptible individual who decided ex post facto to change their mind. This is not some poor person who has fallen on hardship who I would be fully sympathetic with, they decided on a whim to change their mind in their own words. They are basically everything wrong with he eBay platform distilled.

Jesus wept :rolleyes: I think the contemptible individual here is the one trying to "destroy" someone's credit rating over an eBay sale.

At least this isn't your typical "is this a scam" ebay thread, so points for originality I guess.

/Salsa

Caporegime
Nor does he have to, there is plenty of room for negotiation before initiating court proceedings.

People seem to be under the wrong impression here. If a judgement is made and the defendant pays there is no impact on credit rating. The persons credit rating is only damaged if they fail to comply with the courts directions.

How is this the wrong impression?

at a mere £25 it seems like a small price to pay to destroy this guy's credit rating even if I never get compensated for the loss he caused me.

Come on, you've clearly had your toes stood on by someone, jump around a bit, shake it off, and get on with your life. This petty nastiness is going to turn you in to one hell of a nasty person eventually.

Caporegime
People seem to be under the wrong impression here.

I don't think we are.

Now given that I already have a letter before action template ready for exactly this kind of thing and the cost and effort of going to court is so small at a mere £25 it seems like a small price to pay to destroy this guy's credit rating even if I never get compensated for the loss he caused me.

Caporegime
OP
I don't think we are.

That's because you don't understand how the county court system operates, financial disputes get settled and only if the person acts like a total ass does a CCJ get issued and only then if they fail to comply with it does it affect their credit rating.

I have used ebay for over 10 years and people have cancelled for various reasons such as financial issues which I'm fine with, people have cancelled for less legitimate reasons but we have come to reasonable agreements. But never before has someone cancelled because they decided to buy a different product, caused a significant financial loss and then tried to profit from the situation before. All reasonable attempts at settling this have been ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom