Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I had a Hitron router working ok with a netgear switch and a netgear nighthawk (to help with the wifi in my garden office) and everything was ok. The hitron was a relic of a VM business account I had but that eventually got switched off when we switched to a domestic HUB3.0. Since then the HUB3.0 is connected to the Netgear switch (and from that the NightHawk). The equipment in the office now works extremely slowly, dropping connection it seems. Does the HUB3.0 not like working with other equipment? I need the HUB3.0 in the house to provide wifi for the stuff in the house but the wifi signal won't reach the garden office. I think its almost as if there is a conflict somewhere. On another FB forum, a chap suggested looking at the subnet...I'll check but it just seems odd. I had similar problems previously with another hunk of plastic pretending to be a domestic VM router..can't remember which one. My wife pays £54 for 200mb download, TV, and a phone. Loking at VM Business like I had before and they list the Hitron as the router.
Thoughts?

Soldato
i use asus AC equipment with the hub 3.0 and no problems here.

Question for the wider posters here, i have been offered a £110pm extension to
my Oomph VVIP package by retention Seems like a good deal to me, any other opinions ?

Soldato
note to others: if your contract is up for renewal or, is expiring and you are on a top tier package, customer care are unable to offer you a new deal. you must go through retention.

the only way i could contact retention is via the official VM SMS text service, the phone app text service has no ability to refer you to retention.

once you are put in touch with retention via SMS text, the whole renewal and negotiation happens via SMS text message.

Some people are reporting up to a 4 hour wait to get through to customer services on 150 and then being told they can't process any deals for these top tier bundles. I was putting the phone down after an hour.

Soldato
Thanks Besty. One question...did you set the Hub3.0 to modem only mode? Thanks.

Yes, modem only mode and then one ethernet cable running from the Hub3.0 into the ASUS Internet Ethernet port. On ASUS this port is marked differently from the others, I would expect similar for other manufacturers.

As the main driving reason that the Hub3.0 has problems is not just because the wireless radios are a little weak, it is because the chip processing speed of the router/ips/firewall running on the hub3.0 is weak, that is why people run modem mode, as it takes the load off this weak cpu, for the most part and that is usually the source of the slow performance (my opinion).

That's why, even if you are not planning on getting a really fast connection from Virgin and all the expensive AC wireless kit to go with it, that you don't skimp on the 3rd party router/wifi device that you plug into the hub3.0 because if nothing else, the higher-speed chips on the latest routers will be able to give you really nice firewall/ips/security protection without getting overwhelmed like the hub3.0 does.

Soldato
What are the chances of getting a 4.0 hub from virgin media? Do they only give them out to people ordering the 1gps fibre? I really want to join virgin for the extra speed but I don't want to suffer with bad latency and speed drops.

Soldato
I give up dealing with these clowns, who do I need to contact if I wish to take this beyond VM? They are still sending me email bills showing how much I owe for a mobile sim which was supposed to be free. They haven't refunded me the money yet which they took for this mobile sim. They've since acknowledged numerous times it was their error and barred the sim yet not sent a new one so I've not yet got the actual deal I signed up for months ago. I've written 2 letters of complaint, first one recieved a generic reply it basically ignored everything. The second one they haven't even replied to. Ringing them is pointless, it's always a different dept I need and always a call back they offer, not once has anyone called me back.

Caporegime
Haven't had a great initial experience either. Install date pushed back a few days (guess that's expected in the current climate) and two of the same contract pending on my account even though I've rang up and asked why. They said the first one is cancelled but it's still pending a week later. The order number on the sim card they sent out reflects the one on the first cancelled contract and they've told me another sim won't be sent out for the newer contract. I'm not 100% confident it will just automatically switch, not when you hear cases like the above anyway...

Back
Top Bottom