What the hell, my monitor is 5k???

Soldato
Weirdly I was messing around with my monitors and just seeing what refresh rates I could have on them... and seen 5120x2880 as an option at 60hz... thought what the heck is this? Set it... and it's blow me, it's running and I've just been gaming at 5120x2880 in BF4...

Now, these are budget ElectriQ EIQ-284KMB-V2 4k panels, I have three of them, but I never ever realised there was even a higher res... has anyone else come across this? Have to admit, I'm astounded, but I go from 90fps 4k maxed to around 60fps 5k maxed in BF4, so at 33% more pixels I think, you can tell! However it does look better obviously...

I'm just shocked is all so, I've not set my desktop to this...

So, question is, am I the only idiot who's done this or is this some well known fact on 4k panels, I'm really shocked with this for some reason...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry yeah would help, Electriq 28" 4k budget jobbies I've had for a couple of years now... model number EIQ-284KMB-V2. I bought three of them for £181 quid each about 2 years ago, thinking wow for 4k, ok they can't be the the greatest but you know what theyv'e been fantastic... then I have only just noticed this 5k thing...

Man of Honour
Sounds like you've enabled Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) IIRC the 5000 series cards support 5K resolution. I can't see anything in the datasheet for that monitor that supports it being able to render 5K natively or through internal scaling.

Man of Honour
It might support that as an input, and quite a lot of 1440p screens will do the same with a 4K input, but it’s still going to scale it back down to the number of pixels on the panel. You can’t change that :) so all you are probably doing is adding to the load for the GPU and letting the panel scale it back down to its native res. Prob much better to stick with the native res

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you've enabled Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) IIRC the 5000 series cards support 5K resolution. I can't see anything in the datasheet for that monitor that supports it being able to render 5K natively or through internal scaling.
Just found the setting tucked away, that's mad, that must've installed with it on by default as never even notuiced that setting before, that explains it. I disabled it and low and behold my max is the native 4k now... I thought I was going mad... nice one cheers. However the picture is deffo clearer so whatever that setting does, it does work but it doesn't half take gaming performance away. Will read up on that one...

Soldato
OP
yeah once the new gen come out for GPU's, it might be worth using this as there was 100% convinced better picture quality, but you lose around 30-40% perfromance though in the resolutions I was using, but with the new GPU's... might be able to get away with things like that... suppose it's like upscaling the resolutions within things like BF1/BF5 etc past 100%

Last edited:
Permabanned
yeah once the new gen come out for GPU's, it might be worth using this as there was 100% convinced better picture quality, but you lose around 30-40% in the resolutions I was using, but with the new GPU's... might be able to get away with things like that... suppose it's like upscaling the resolutions within things like BF1/BF5 etc past 100%

Well technically it is superior as AA only removed Aliasing. VSR and the Nvidia DSR downscale the higher res so the game is sending you 5k textures and it is also rendering pretty much all on screen elements at a higher res. Not many use it, Its totally underated some games i would flat out refuse to play without it ans many dont offer MSAA anymore.

And it keeps the hz on Nvidia at least, I technically now can do 8k at 280hz it i wanted and i can actually see the textures change in clarity from 4k to 8k on a 1080p monitor. Its great tech wizardy.

Back
Top Bottom