What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Yeah seen them a few days ago and actually really like the 38mm with the seconds sub dial, it just has 2 issues for me, 38mm which would like tiny on my wrist and the even more annoying fact they chopped part of the number off, I REALLY hate it when companies do that.

@Josh From a personal perspective I wouldn't pick a dive watch if I was after that 'one watch' for everything, I don't feel they're really suited to being warn with suits for example (they're a 'tool' watch after all). As much as I'm not a fan of Rolex, something along the lines of an explorer oyster would be the 'vibe' I would be looking at personally. If I was being completely honest, if I had 3K to spend on a watch and it was to be the only time I ever buy one (yeah that's unlikely on my part now lol) I'd likely split the money (divide how you want) so that I have the casual watch and the 'smart watch' for when you want to dress up etc.

At the end of the day watches are a personal thing so if you want that watch (I'd pick the white numerals) don't let us stop you :p

Last edited:
Soldato
You might want to give us a little more info on what you'd use the watch for etc because there are a LOT of £1-1500 watches out there.

As an everyday watch my current watch I only ever really take off twice a year for when the clocks change, or if I'm doing something in the garden/outdoors where I might scratch it, so maybe best going for the budget option ?

Re: Skeleton watches, not a fan of full skeleton but I don't mind partially revealed

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk...al-diver-blue-dial-blue-strap-241843-p-52706/ I like the look of this but it's not automatic and has a date, there's a few where I like the look but the date ruins it

Maybe it's just better to ask what are the best watch retailer websites out there so I can go through their catalogues ?

Soldato
or if I'm doing something in the garden/outdoors where I might scratch it, so maybe best going for the budget option
You need a g-shock for that :p

Got to be honest, I normally just look on instagram for 'new' watch inspiration these days, ignore the 'fashion brands' obviously, then if you see something you like go and look at it in a little more detail.

Underboss
Yeah seen them a few days ago and actually really like the 38mm with the seconds sub dial, it just has 2 issues for me, 38mm which would like tiny on my wrist and the even more annoying fact they chopped part of the number off, I REALLY hate it when companies do that.

@Josh From a personal perspective I wouldn't pick a dive watch if I was after that 'one watch' for everything, I don't feel they're really suited to being warn with suits for example (they're a 'tool' watch after all). As much as I'm not a fan of Rolex, something along the lines of an explorer oyster would be the 'vibe' I would be looking at personally. If I was being completely honest, if I had 3K to spend on a watch and it was to be the only time I ever buy one (yeah that's unlikely on my part now lol) I'd likely split the money (divide how you want) so that I have the casual watch and the 'smart watch' for when you want to dress up etc.

At the end of the day watches are a personal thing so if you want that watch (I'd pick the white numerals) don't let us stop you :p

Yeah all very true thanks, I'm just worried I'll spend a good amount of money on a dud, trying to find something that I like is half the battle at the moment and then factoring in brand/movement and the myriad of other things which more expensive items - it all gets a bit overwhelming! You've made some good points thought I'll just have to do some more research.

Soldato
@Josh I wouldn't say you couldn't get away with a diver as an every day, any situation watch. I'd wear my Black Bay for any occasion!

@Minusorange for the 1-1500 budget I'd really consider second hand! I have got some great deals, I think I paid about 11/200 for my Speedmaster which is way better than you'll pick up anything new.

Soldato
@Minusorange for the 1-1500 budget I'd really consider second hand! I have got some great deals, I think I paid about 11/200 for my Speedmaster which is way better than you'll pick up anything new.

I had a look at one of the 2nd hand sites, they were either in budget but ugly, had the dreaded date, or were very nice but twice or more my budget like the Rolex Submariner

Also what kind of number is 11/200 ? :p

Caporegime
Not really a watch person but I'd like to get a nice one that could be worn regardless of the occasion - my idea of that would be something like this I think:

ThDMum2.jpg

Thoughts if anyone has them? I prefer more understated and a more simple face design, those chronographs with lots of dials don't appeal.

I wouldn't call a PO understated, they wear quite big and stand out. Look at the ceramic Seamaster Pro for something a little more under the radar.

Soldato
A proper Speedy Professional for that little? These days you'll need to double it and you're on the bottom end of the private, secondary market.
Mine is the 39mm Auto ref: 3520.50.00 which is day/date/month which is not as valuable as a lot of "real" speedies, but you know! I really like it and would take that over any new watch at that price point. Value of it now is roughly 1600-2200.

Associate
Not really a watch person but I'd like to get a nice one that could be worn regardless of the occasion - my idea of that would be something like this I think:

ThDMum2.jpg

Thoughts if anyone has them? I prefer more understated and a more simple face design, those chronographs with lots of dials don't appeal.

I wear my PO all the time, formal or casual occasions.

I used to wear my DeVille for evenings but to perfectly frank I forget that I am wearing the PO most of the time and just keep that on.

I like the fact that I don't even have to think about the pool, sea, or anything else when wearing it.

Underboss
Thanks gailjon, it sounds like a perfect daily driver, I wasn't aware of the size of it so will have to try it on to make sure I'm not going to end up looking like a rapper with a grandfather clock on my wrist!

Back
Top Bottom