Carpet Cleaners

Caporegime
Looking at maybe getting a Bissell or Rug Doctor spot cleaner for pet messes.

Should I think about getting a regular size unit with a pipe attachment instead?

The carpets in my house need replacing and they're stretched so it's unlikely I'll bother to do a full clean of them, so should I just stick to my original idea?

Soldato
I'd go for a full sized and make a point of using it a couple of times a year.

When you do replace your carpets it'll help keep your new ones in good condition.

How much were you wanting to spend?

Caporegime
OP
I'd go for a full sized and make a point of using it a couple of times a year.

When you do replace your carpets it'll help keep your new ones in good condition.

How much were you wanting to spend?
Well for a good spot cleaner, they're about £150, so maybe 150 to 200? But I understand that might be more lower end in the full size models.

Associate
I've just replaced an older Bissell with the one in the link above (actually the Pet specific version which has a couple of more attachments). It's pretty good, but probably overkill for just spot cleaning if that's what you're after.

Soldato
I have a Vax upright carpet cleaner, and very pleased with it.

But I very rarely use the spot cleaning attachments, because sorting out all the piping is a bit of a faff. Usually easier to just use the entire thing even if you're only cleaning a patch.

Soldato
I've just replaced an older Bissell with the one in the link above (actually the Pet specific version which has a couple of more attachments). It's pretty good, but probably overkill for just spot cleaning if that's what you're after.

It's definitely the sort of thing you'd want to make a point of using at least a couple of times a year.

Tbh it'd probably do wonders for his current carpets even if he does intend to replace them.

I'm of a mind that good carpets aren't cheap, and I like to keep them for a good few years, so something like this is worth the investment considering the cost of renting a good unit or paying someone to do the work for you adds up over the years. I'd be especially inclined if I had pets like cats or dogs running around.

Caporegime
OP
So Bissell make comparing their models really difficult, the Revolution 2x (non pet) pro Vs the stainpro 4, there is £40 difference between the 2 with the stainpro being the cheaper, I know the Revolution 2x heats the water but is that the only difference?

Soldato
So Bissell make comparing their models really difficult, the Revolution 2x (non pet) pro Vs the stainpro 4, there is £40 difference between the 2 with the stainpro being the cheaper, I know the Revolution 2x heats the water but is that the only difference?

Wish I could tell you buddy, I'd assume it's marketing tbh.

The one I linked seems identical to the "pet" version, beyond the pet version having some extras.

Soldato
Recently bought the Vax Platinum Power Max after watching a few reviews. It did a great job on our carpets despite them not looking particularly dirty. :)

Associate
We have the Vax Platinum Power Max. Its very good at cleaning but... We lent it to someone who some how managed to jam and mess up the main drive belt and its tensioner (not the one the connects to the brushes)

You cannot it seems get this part as a spare, which now renders it useless. I'm hoping to find another broken one I can get the parts from.

Soldato
We have the Vax Platinum Power Max. Its very good at cleaning but... We lent it to someone who some how managed to jam and mess up the main drive belt and its tensioner (not the one the connects to the brushes)

You cannot it seems get this part as a spare, which now renders it useless. I'm hoping to find another broken one I can get the parts from.
Have you spoken to Vax? Their support is very good. My sister managed to break a carpet cleaner of ours years ago and for that reason I don't lend it out anymore, I'd rather do the carpets for them.

Associate
Have you spoken to Vax? Their support is very good. My sister managed to break a carpet cleaner of ours years ago and for that reason I don't lend it out anymore, I'd rather do the carpets for them.

Thanks, yes I have, they said part I need isn't available from them. They gave me a list of other suppliers to try, espares and so on, but you can't get it at any of them either.

Associate
We just picked up the Vax Platinum machine as well. First impressions seem really good, however, we've used up all the solution that came with it doing just the lounge (21ftx12ft). Which carpet solution would people recommend? We have a few oily stains that I think when dry will still be there, albeit faint.

Soldato
We’ve got a rug doctor spot cleaner. It’s decent, but I do wonder whether the extra £100 would have been well spent on one of the full size vax machines.

The rug doctor spot cleaner is good though... especially with a 2 year old running around the house!

Back
Top Bottom