Best Hot Hatch Tyres

Soldato
Hi chaps,

I'm a bit out of the loop with the best tyres. The size is 225/40/18 for a Focus ST (remapped and so on).

I don't care about how fast they wear just how they perform really. I've liked Eagle F1's in the past but I guess things might have moved on a bit?

Cheers.

Soldato
He wants Pilot Sport 4S.

Are these even available in 225/40R18?

I know there were a couple of 18" sizes available for PS4S but generally they're only in 19" fitments aren't they?

For an 18" tyre, you're looking at a toss up between F1A5, PS4 and PC6 i'd have said

Man of Honour
Any reason the Continentals don't get a look in with these discussions? for a hot hatch they generally mesh well with "sporty" driving even if some aren't so happy with the comfort but who drives a hot hatch for comfort?

Soldato
Any reason the Continentals don't get a look in with these discussions? for a hot hatch they generally mesh well with "sporty" driving even if some aren't so happy with the comfort but who drives a hot hatch for comfort?
They made a big marketing fail I think.

Merging the Premium Contact and Sport Contact ranges was fine but they retained the Premium Contact name rather than the Sport Contact name.

The obvious downside being most enthusiasts associated the long standing Premium Contact name with good touring tyres but not as something competing for top honours in the performance tyre arena.

Historically I think the Sport Contact range had a reputation for wearing very quickly compared to Pilot Sports and Eagle F1s.

Man of Honour
Historically I think the Sport Contact range had a reputation for wearing very quickly compared to Pilot Sports and Eagle F1s.

A lot of my experience is broad but not in depth when it comes to these things so stuff like tyre wear I don't have much experience of.

Associate
The Michelin 4S isn't available in 18s in the UK, so the alternatives are Michelin PS4, Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5, Conti PremiumContact 6 which are all fairly equal performance wise. Alternatively, Goodyear do the Eagle F1 Supersport in 18s, which is closely matched to the Michelin 4S

Soldato
Pilot sport 4, I have them very good tyres, only criticism is very cold weather they don't perform, but, I guess that could be said about a lot of tyres and you should be driving slowly then anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom