Spec me a new Ryzen board

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've been "slowly" putting together my plans for a new Ryzen gaming build during Lockdown... so far I've amassed 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair LPX 3200MHz and that's literally it :D

I was waiting for the B550's but to be honest, but I'm not overly impressed. I shall be building, probably, around a 3600 or 3700x. I'm not overly keen on the x570, the onboard fan really, more noise to contend with. I know they're probably really quiet these days but I still rather not have one!

Budget is £200, although I've been looking at around £220 for there's a bit of give. I don't upgrade too often, see sig.

I need Bluetooth/wifi, at least 5x USB and a USB-C. I won't be needing PS2/Display Port/HMDI/DVI/VGA. 2x NMVe would be good, but 1x would suffice.

Onboard bios reset would be a bonus :)

Thoughts?

Soldato
Just bought a X570 Tuf Gaming WiFi for 215 which covers all the bases you want. Would have looked at the Tomahawk but availability is a problem. System is very quiet using an AIO and controlled fans.

Associate
Best board at your budget is the MSI X570 Tomahawk. Cannot be beat for the price. The fan will be fine.

+1

Best value for money hands down but availability is a problem. Plenty of other X570 options as others have mentioned above if you are not willing to wait.

I've been running my X570 Tomahawk since Sunday. The fan doesn't always run and when it does there is no perceptible change in overall sound.

Same has been reported by other users, so it really is a non concern.

With the 32gb of ram I'm assuming it won't just be for gaming? so I'd say 3700x?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions people! MSI is the way to go then? When I was doing a bit of system building back in the day, on the sly, ASUS and Gigabyte were the only serious contenders - MSI and ASRock were seen as 'Micky mouse' :D

Will definitely look at the x570's if fan noise really isn't an issue.

@flex979, I bought 16GB myself and then 'inherited' another 16GB from a pal who abandoned his rig, mid-build. So no, still not really sure on the 3600/3700x dilemma. It'll pretty much only be using for gaming/office/web. I haven't done any proper video editing/rendering since Uni, c.2008 :p

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions people! MSI is the way to go then? When I was doing a bit of system building back in the day, on the sly, ASUS and Gigabyte were the only serious contenders - MSI and ASRock were seen as 'Micky mouse' :D

Will definitely look at the x570's if fan noise really isn't an issue.

@flex979, I bought 16GB myself and then 'inherited' another 16GB from a pal who abandoned his rig, mid-build. So no, still not really sure on the 3600/3700x dilemma. It'll pretty much only be using for gaming/office/web. I haven't done any proper video editing/rendering since Uni, c.2008 :p

Ah I see :).

I went for the 3600 as I only use mine for gaming and general use. Unless you're going for a top end GPU it won't be a bottle neck, and even then it's semi debatable. Plus with an X570 you can always get a new 4000 series a couple years down the line if necessary.

At £160 ish depending on where you look for the 3600, unless you're really strapped for cash upgrading that even after just 12 months is still not a bad investment.

And MSI still do make trash boards lol, they just also just happen to do good ones now as well.

Soldato
Maybe go with a b450 pro carbon as it has all the stuff you need and saves 70-£100 which you could then use on a better Gpu or CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe go with a b450 pro carbon as it has all the stuff you need and saves 70-£100 which you could then use on a better Gpu or CPU.

@slipd

cost isn;t worth it not... not at £130 odd... again board was £100 . If using 5 slots have to be careful with any m.2 being used . B550 BOARDS dont have this problem (most)

b550 Aorus Pro AC - I/O usb 3.1 Gen two C Port is direct to CPU.
B550 Strix do have USB 3.1 C port Gen 1 header on the board for cases with front headers
B550 Matx Mortar even (but worth double checking manual )

Soldato
If using 5 slots have to be careful with any m.2 being used . B550 BOARDS dont have this problem (most)
Isn't that for SATA ports and not USB ports?

Pro carbon has never been £100, £115 is probably the cheapest it's gone for before coronatax as its the best B450 board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't ever buy basing on brand image/old reputation.
Like Buildzoid said in one video all makers suck and you have to check design quality on individual product basis.

In B450 Asus was basically selling brand scams with CPU VRMs good only for 65W TDP CPUs.
Same for Gigabyte, while MSI's B450 VRMs were good amount better and good for the price.
MSI has also confirmed Zen3 support for their B450/X470 boards.

In X570 boards MSI again has same copypasta VRM in half the range making them bad for the price. (X570 Tomahawk only exception, if it ever arrives into stock)
And while besides Gigabyte also Asus turned ship around in VRM, chipset cooler of Asus is 15 year old bad design:
Tiny heatsink relying on constant airflow from fan with everything positioned under graphics card to enjoy pre-heated air.
So not great for longevity and you can guess what happens when fan wears down.

Soldato
Isn't that for SATA ports and not USB ports?

Pro carbon has never been £100, £115 is probably the cheapest it's gone for before coronatax as its the best B450 board.

*Face palm* was reading sata... :(

Was £100 with Toma at £85 when launched . Lucky to have trade account via Target etc got a damn good saving . Price increased due to popularity more then Pound dropping in value .
Also, up to MSI to sort out AMD only addressing first 16MB in bios chip . Why others never bothered to increase the size .
Just no idea why in earth MSI released x570 Toma so late ...

Back
Top Bottom