Games that had it, but lost it!

ne0

ne0

Associate
Broken Sword 1 - Amazing. So many memories.
Broken Sword 2 - Amazing. Although Not as good as 1.
Broken Sword 3 - Whats happened?! Its lost it.
Broken Sword 4 - A little better but still lost somewhere.

I'm playing BS1 again on my tablet atm. Such amazing and fond memories and it's still as immersive as ever. The music is just spectacular too.

Soldato
WoW. It was great until Panda's appeared...

End of Wraith IMO when Dungeon Finder was introduced, the start of the big social and overall decline of WoW.
Cata made things worse with terrible raids (TotFW final boss was overtuned. BWD, BoT, DS were awful), the Tol Barad mess, LFR yet it's PvP was amazing and the start of some big PvP streamers getting big on Twitch and Firelands had a good heroic Rag fight along with Reforging being introduced. Too much focus was put on Kalimdor and EK being redone which only really benefited levelers, besides allowing us to fly in these zones (which reduced social interaction even more and hindered world pvp).
MoP had a lot of good things inc Challenge Modes, huge step up in visual graphics, Garrosh storyline, PvP continued to be good, ToT was an awesome raid, so was SoO before it got stale due to raiding it for over a year. The legendary cloak chain and first tier raids weren't great though. Pet battle's were hit/miss depending if it was your thing.

Soldato
Total War series. I know they've a lot more fans now, so I guess I'm in the minority. But I just find them to be very arcadey these days. OPed heroes, over-too-quickly battles won by buffs and abilities rather than tactics, really awful siege battles, and monetised to ****. If it were just the Warhammer games, you could forgive it maybe. But the historical titles are following some of the same trends now. Disappointing.

Associate
Second the Ghost Recon series.
And maybe Rainbow Six series diversion from tactical to more casual multiplayer focused.

The problem with a lot of games is they follow the apparent trend for open world fuzzy objective based game play. a lot of the time it is an excuse to not bother about a proper mission based game nowadays.
Seems every game needs a "hub" world nowadays :(

Soldato
Dragon Age Origins - one of the best RPGs ever made.
Dragon Age 2 - pathetic in comparison
Dragon Age 3 - a bit better but still poor.

Mass Effect is a similar story but 2 is excellent.

In fact, thinking about it, Bioware haven't made a really good game since Mass Effect 2 imo. How sad. Since then it goes DA2, ME3, DA Inquisition, ME Andromeda, Anthem.

Wow! Best I can say about that rollcall of mediocrity is DA Inquisition at least had some good ideas and was slightly above average at points, even if the combat is atrocious.

Don
The Settlers 1 - brilliance and sheer class.
The Settlers 2 - improved on the original, not a masive step up, but still excellent.
The Settlers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and so on - total pap.

What I would give for a faithful remake of Settlers :( It was one of my favourites in the 90s.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Dragon Age Origins - one of the best RPGs ever made.
Dragon Age 2 - pathetic in comparison
Dragon Age 3 - a bit better but still poor.

Mass Effect is a similar story but 2 is excellent.

In fact, thinking about it, Bioware haven't made a really good game since Mass Effect 2 imo. How sad. Since then it goes DA2, ME3, DA Inquisition, ME Andromeda, Anthem.

Wow! Best I can say about that rollcall of mediocrity is DA Inquisition at least had some good ideas and was slightly above average at points, even if the combat is atrocious.
Agreed, except for me I did not enjoy ME2 that much, found it disappointing relative to the original. They took a wrong turn and dumped it down by removing rpg and adding more action. Also story was no way near as strong. The original had an awesome story. Would love to see a remake but with more rpg and more exploration. Imagine if exploring yielded extra cool armour, guns etc. Like Witcher 3 for example.

The Last of Us Part II

Too soon?

;)

Not for me. I did not buy and likely never will. What a letdown.

Associate
Total war hasn’t been the same for me since the botched launch of Rome 2. I’ve enjoyed the warhammer games since but they just aren’t the same.

I’d echo anyone who said C&C also they were great but turned stale.

alas.. nothing’s forever

Soldato
Wow
Diablo
Borderlands 3 is good shoot-em-up wise but the story and characters are awful compared to 2.
Mass Effect
Command and Conquer
Half the games that have been sold to EA
Game of Thrones :p

Back
Top Bottom