Road Cycling

Soldato
Tried a 100 yesterday, back to saddle sores. I'm now at the point of thinking my Aliante R1 might be worn out after roughly 12k miles. It's either that or dropping 10-12lbs over the last few months has resulted in my normal size of bibs becoming a fraction too loose. I doubt it's this though as where they possible could be considered a fraction too loose (mid sides) I don't get any sores.

Associate
Since I’m now working from home, I’m in the fortunate situation of no longer being able to waste all my disposable cash on posh sandwiches. Thankfully the cycling industry has plenty of things to fill the void so today I splurged a bit on this: https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-road-bike-integrated-handlebars.html

If Covid-19 doesn’t get me then who knows, maybe these bars will. At least my bike will look cool as hell though.
@FishFluff Did you receive these bars? any feedback?

Soldato
Is there any decent apps for tracking cycling with the Apple watch? I was just using the basic one but it didn't have an auto-pause function so decided to use the Strava app instead but wondering if there any better alternatives out there?

Think I'm going to try and do my first 40 mile ride this weekend, working up to the 50 mile stone which is rookie numbers for a lot of you but will be a big ride for me. Done a few 30 miles now so i feel comfortable doing that distance

Soldato
Chasing down gear tune still. Wasn’t quite perfect after shifting but sometimes if you went down a gear and then back up it would be perfect.

Possibly one hanger bolt slightly loose, I got a fraction of a turn on it perhaps but the head will round off if try and put much more on it. Sure they are easy to get off the shelf Edit: M3x8mm ordered 10 for £2 posted!

I may order a Wheels Manufacturing replacement hanger as the Cervelo ones have some mixed reviews on WW (soft metal that bends back under load).

I cleaned up the chain, cassette and RD pulleys and will put it back together tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was one of the rear drive side spokes so I might need to remove the cassette to replace it, hopefully not. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Edit-
It broke right at the hub

Last edited:
Associate
Well done on the weight loss and for taking up cycling buddy :)

30-50 miles rides will certainly be marginally easier once you try one if you have a good bout of 1 hour-ish rides behind you.... but you will still struggle until you have worked up to and done those distances. Marathon runners don't run 10K's for a while and then just go and try a marathon. You need to work up to it. Whilst you most likely will be able to complete 30-50 miles of course, you can make things much easier on yourself if you build up to it progressively.

Just enjoy riding the bike at this point. Do 1 hour, do 90mins. Fair enough looking on the data after you finish the ride but most importantly just enjoy riding and the heaps of natural fitness gains (and weight loss!) you will see as you go. It really is a joy when you first get going :)

Set yourself a target. Lets say 2 hours riding. Once you achieve that then progress that target to a 30 mile ride with your friends. As you inevitably achieve these things you keep moving that target a little more and then looking back in a few months to come you will truly see laid out in front of you just how much you ave progressed over time.

But truly try to appreciate the joy of being outdoors on a bike and what it brings. So easy to get caught up in negatives with riding bikes from all angles but at the root of it, being out in the fresh air, mooching about on a bike is deep rooted awesome.

Awesome! Thank you!

Soldato
Anyone got any tips for indexing? With next to no torque going through the system everything sounds fine and works fine. When I'm putting some power down, it sounds like it's not quite aligned right. Is it simply a matter of small adjust, ride a bit, adjust, ride a bit, until it sounds smoother?

Went out with the recycling 30 minutes ago and it's pretty damn warm already... but will take a 40 mile trip back to spokes shortly I think. Get me some more of that brownie :)

Soldato
@FishFluff Did you receive these bars? any feedback?

Yep! They arrived a couple of weeks ago now. They look fantastic but I haven't actually fitted them to the bike properly yet as I've been having some niggling bike fit issues at the moment and don't want to add another variable into the mix. I've put them on with no levers or anything to test the stiffness and they feel pretty good. There's a bit of flex if you hold the head tube between your knees and really wrench on the bars, but that was also true with my aluminium bar/stem combo. Certainly better than some of the noodley carbon I've seen in youtube videos.

Soldato
Anyone got any tips for indexing? With next to no torque going through the system everything sounds fine and works fine. When I'm putting some power down, it sounds like it's not quite aligned right. Is it simply a matter of small adjust, ride a bit, adjust, ride a bit, until it sounds smoother?

Went out with the recycling 30 minutes ago and it's pretty damn warm already... but will take a 40 mile trip back to spokes shortly I think. Get me some more of that brownie :)

As TheBrooder said, just give it a minor adjustment while you're out riding. No more than a quarter turn at a time.

Soldato
have a poke around triathlon suppliers, triathletes like that kind of wrongness

haha! thanks, I'll have a look.

I literally just ordered a second one (one came yesterday) from Wiggle. Search Sportful Sleeveless (Strike?). White is £47, other colours are £52.

Had an interesting ride with two colleagues yesterday, into London in rush hour! We then went out along the Thames to Richmond Park. Back home and 50 miles later and I'm rather tired this morning! Richmond Park is lovely though. I'd like to go back to do a few laps another time.

that looks pretty good! how are you finding the fit? I am usually l-xl on non cycling tops.

Lol. this is a cycling forum grudas, get real :p

pshh! rules are here to be broken :D but seriously why would you not want sleeveless in the summer? it's great? I guess you dont get the sharp tan lines so it's hard to flex?

Back
Top Bottom