Samsung 650 soundbar + other sub

Associate
i own the Samsung soundbar (hw 650) and would like to add a different subwoofer ie. bk wired , my ideal is to have the sub connected to my (separate) hifi system and also separately wired to my soundbar for tv , giving me the duel options of using the sub for both purposes . would this connection be possible ? ta

Man of Honour
There are a couple of different versions of the HW 650 sub, but AFAICT, neither the HW-MS650 or the HW-N650 has a physical connection socket to allow a wired sub to be plugged in. (TIP: You'd be looking for an RCA/phono style socket marked Sub or Subwoofer Out)

How were you planning on connecting a wired sub?

Other than the lack of a socket, then in theory your plan could work. There are BK subs that allow dual connections. I don't believe they had your particular application in mind, but as long as you were careful not to have the TV and stereo on at the same time then there's no other obvious reason why this wouldn't work.

Associate
OP
Thanx for reply, my soundbar model is hwms 650 with digital (optical) in and aux in (mini jack) , was hoping a single subwoofer would be possible to separately add bass to both my hifi and tv/soundbar.

Man of Honour
Thanx for reply, my soundbar model is hwms 650 with digital (optical) in and aux in (mini jack) , was hoping a single subwoofer would be possible to separately add bass to both my hifi and tv/soundbar.

Thanks for confirming the model.

Yes, I completely understand what you want. However, you simply writing out what you want again doesn't change the fact that there's no physical socket on your sound bar. Do you see the problem? There's no hole in to which to plug a wire to make what you want possible. No hole = no connection = no subwoofer sound.

All the sockets you have on the sound bar are inputs. These are "sound-goes-IN-TO-my-device" sockets. That's what INput means. On your sound bar you have an AUX input socket and an Optical input socket.What you don't have is any kind of subwoofer OUTput socket.

Sockets that are marked Output are "sound-comes-OUT-OF-my-device" sockets. That's what you need; a socket where the sound comes out. But more than that, it has to be a socket where the sound coming out is a suitable signal for a subwoofer, and that means that the signal power varies with the volume adjustment on the sound bar.

The HW-MS650 (and the N version come to that) are not designed to provide a signal to an external wired subwoofer. All they have is a Bluetooth link for the matching Samsung sub.

If you've ever paired two Bluetooth devices, then you'll know that they use a password system so that the signal isn't shared to other Bluetooth devices that you don't want to pair with. It's sensible then to think that the matching Samsung sub and your sound bar have something similar to prevent accidental or on-purpose pairing with some unrecognised device. I think it's very unlikely that you could use a Bluetooth receiver connected to a wired sub and get it to pair with the MS650 sound bar. Unless you can find someone on the net who has done that, then my guess is that your quest has come to an end. You won't be able to link this sound bar to anyone else's sub except Samsung's own compatible devices.

Caporegime
on the back of the soundbar is there a single output labeled subwoofer out? if not then it's not possible. i assume therefore it uses wireless to connect to the samsung subwoofers available.

you may want to not get a wireless sub. i found using my YSP 2700 sub wirelessly interefered with my PS4 dualshock 4 controller. as in i got lag, sometimes button presses wouldn't be recognised and it would be as if it had been jammes receiving the same signal until it connected again.

wi-fi is too congested these days with all this smart wireless tech. using wires is the way to go.

Associate
OP
understood (thanx for replies) I was hoping there may have been a workaround/solution. I do have a plan b where I would add the Samsung wireless sub and incorporate this into hi fi by connecting my amp (2 channel) to the soundbar ?

Caporegime
I have an MS 750 and SWA7000 sub. Never had any problems and the sub is a cut above most soundbar subs which are crap.

that sub is £500 on it's own. which costs more than my BK sub which would make it sound like a tramps speaker.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400DF.htm

so it's okay but it's a massive rip off.

i have a yamaha ysp 2700 too as well as the xxls400 and i don't have any complaints. yes it's not as good but tbh most people wouldn't really be able to tell the difference or appreciate the difference either.

it's budget soundbars with budget subs which don't sound that great. once you get into the £400-£1500 territory they get a lot better. my dad just got the N950 samsung atmos soundbar. his sub didn't look anything special. on the brief test it didn't sound that good either but the test involved very little bass it was more atmos based for directional sound.

the n950 is the best soundbar you can buy period. it has 4 atmos speakers as well as 2 rear speakers. i think this is now the end of seperates for me. albeit seperates will last longer. i see soundbars taking over some of their business because they offer everything now that seperates do in a much neater package with no wires apart from power.

Associate
Holy post resurrection Batman! Hopefully I get lucky here... :)

I have an MS 750 and SWA7000 sub. Never had any problems and the sub is a cut above most soundbar subs which are crap.

I have the MS650 instead... I find it has pretty decent bass but when I decided to upgrade it (and instead of replacing the MS650 with a 2nd Denon Atmos system + Kef speakers - which would have been much less aesthetic and more complicated for my wife and kids), I figured I'd get more of a noticeable improvement with the surround speakers and I do enjoy them since.

Now I'm wondering if I should get the subwoofer too since they've gone down in price and will likely continue to do so until they're no longer available. My main concern is that my wife already asks me to turn down the volume after she goes to bed two floors up WITHOUT the dedicated sub lol!

Just wondering if adding the sub could be overkill and increase my ''wife wanting to go to sleep two floors up while I watch more TV/movies'' problem or if I can still bring down the sub volume adequately when not required and if adding one will in fact result in a considerable improvement in sound quality when it comes to movie, TV and even music. I find the MS650 actually does a nice job with music, especially when it comes to watching live performances. If the sub makes it even better for music, I may even move the whole unit to my upstairs living room and bring down my existing Denon X1600H to the basement instead (which is just powering a pair of Kef floorstanders for the moment).

I also wish that I could simply plug in my existing and excellent 10'' Samson R10S subwoofer into my MS650 but that seems to only be possible with certain brands like Yamaha (which then don't necessarily offer wireless remote speakers for true surround sound). I wish Samsung would offer a wireless kit that would allow one to use ANY sub with the necessary input in a wireless fashion, connected to their excellent soundbars... Then again, they want quality control and higher profits...

TIA!

Soldato
Holy post resurrection Batman! Hopefully I get lucky here... :)

I have the MS650 instead... I find it has pretty decent bass but when I decided to upgrade it (and instead of replacing the MS650 with a 2nd Denon Atmos system + Kef speakers - which would have been much less aesthetic and more complicated for my wife and kids), I figured I'd get more of a noticeable improvement with the surround speakers and I do enjoy them since.

Now I'm wondering if I should get the subwoofer too since they've gone down in price and will likely continue to do so until they're no longer available. My main concern is that my wife already asks me to turn down the volume after she goes to bed two floors up WITHOUT the dedicated sub lol!

Just wondering if adding the sub could be overkill and increase my ''wife wanting to go to sleep two floors up while I watch more TV/movies'' problem or if I can still bring down the sub volume adequately when not required and if adding one will in fact result in a considerable improvement in sound quality when it comes to movie, TV and even music. I find the MS650 actually does a nice job with music, especially when it comes to watching live performances. If the sub makes it even better for music, I may even move the whole unit to my upstairs living room and bring down my existing Denon X1600H to the basement instead (which is just powering a pair of Kef floorstanders for the moment).

I also wish that I could simply plug in my existing and excellent 10'' Samson R10S subwoofer into my MS650 but that seems to only be possible with certain brands like Yamaha (which then don't necessarily offer wireless remote speakers for true surround sound). I wish Samsung would offer a wireless kit that would allow one to use ANY sub with the necessary input in a wireless fashion, connected to their excellent soundbars... Then again, they want quality control and higher profits...

TIA!

Imagine if you bought a proper sub is the dual 21" opal powersound sub, 4000w and easily 120db+ at low frequencies

Back
Top Bottom