• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
If anyone can chime in to how I can improve this, please do. Ratio of 21 is the highest for this chip.
Is it now a case of increasing the BCLK until it fails to be stable?
You can usually use the highest all core turbo multiplier of the chip when running an all core OC so for your chip it would be 23, try this and see if it works.

If that didn't work then you could try overclocking but with turbo enabled but bear in mind it will boost higher so would need more voltage, you would need to set the multiplier to auto for this to work. Eg bclk 191 and multi to auto would give a 4ghz clock but when stressed the turbo would boost this to a 4.4 all core and up to 4.6 on 2 cores.

Associate
I'm so out of date regarding modern CPUs its embarassing. I'm currently running X5675 in an X58 motherboard, clocking @4.37Ghz.

I'm thinking about updating the motherboard/cpu/fan and memory, keeping the case/ssd/PSU/graphics card. I've read that win10 does a pretty good job of figuring everything out after a motherboard/cpu change. I really can't be arsed doing a fresh install and getting things back to the way I like. To see a significant speed increase (gaming) what should I be looking at ?

My X58 motherboard has dodgy implementation of USB3, I also assume my recently acquired gigabyte 2060 graphics card will marry better to a new motherboard than to the X58.

Am I looking at mega-bucks to get a good speed increase over this souped-up 10 year old system, i.e. am I mad ?

Associate
I'm so out of date regarding modern CPUs its embarassing. I'm currently running X5675 in an X58 motherboard, clocking @4.37Ghz.

I'm thinking about updating the motherboard/cpu/fan and memory, keeping the case/ssd/PSU/graphics card. I've read that win10 does a pretty good job of figuring everything out after a motherboard/cpu change. I really can't be arsed doing a fresh install and getting things back to the way I like. To see a significant speed increase (gaming) what should I be looking at ?

My X58 motherboard has dodgy implementation of USB3, I also assume my recently acquired gigabyte 2060 graphics card will marry better to a new motherboard than to the X58.

Am I looking at mega-bucks to get a good speed increase over this souped-up 10 year old system, i.e. am I mad ?
USB support and sata support is what pushed me to upgrade in the end. You should be able to upgrade to some kind of ryzen build cheap enough. I have a a i7 7700k for a few years now and I'm still not sure it was an upgrade.
Games are using more cores these days though so you should be going for 8+ as your Xeon has 6 already.

Associate
That is the only annoying thing, support for usb and disk speeds via usb3.0 and sataIII/m.2. Performance is still very good, although I don't play AAA titles nowadays. Might upgrade to Ryzen in a year or so.

Associate
I have an expansion card, it doesn't seem to offer high speed though.
I bought a card that provides 2 USB 10Gb ports, but i suspect it's working way below that level. I assume thats because this 10 year old motherboard doesn't have support for that kind of speed on its bus ?

Associate

I had the same CPU/X58 platform as you and I made the jump to a 3700x and x570 mobo, with m.2 - the difference is significant

Associate
thanks for the replies, looks like i should be looking at a ryzen 3700 or above upgrade. Good also to get confirmation that its not only me that sees usb3 sub-par performance as being a significant issue.

Associate
thanks for the replies, looks like i should be looking at a ryzen 3700 or above upgrade. Good also to get confirmation that its not only me that sees usb3 sub-par performance as being a significant issue.

Any new ryzen will be a significant jump. I went from x58 to a 2700x and it was a huge leap in gaming, mainly on minimum fps.

Associate
I am glad I did.
My x58 served me very well for over 11 years, and it was still performing very well when I sold it on.
Sadly, got peanuts for it as well.....wish I had kept it now as a spare machine :(

Associate
Hi there.
First post in this community. Please let me know if I'm breaking some etiquette rule.

I got yesterday a X5650 for replacing my old 920. I have a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with 24GB (3x8G).
Thing is, while the system boots and works fine, it only recognizes 16GB. It also shows some trouble at boot time, as it tries several times to boot before success, and restarts itself a few times. This happens before the bootloader takes in, but after the bios/status screen. Seems like it solves some problem by disabling/ignoring a channel.

Searching around online I ended up here, and started to read the whole thread, where I'm sure I'll find some useful debugging data. But having ~190 pages, it takes quite some time.
Perhaps anyone know of common problems like mine? Surely it gets down to memory configuration, but don't know where to start.

Any tip would be appreciated.
Regards.

Associate
I had a similar issue with mine when i was trying to get it working, but was a different Gigabyte motherboard to yours, the fix for me was to remove the CPU and reseat it.

Soldato
You may need to increase the QPI voltage with 8gb sticks. Up to 1.35 is ok.

It maybe worth testing each stick individually just to rule out a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom