LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Nice setup!

How low can you set the monitor from the desk surface with that stand? Is the TV stable, or any wobble?

It's 12.3cm from desk to bottom of monitor. This is as high as I can mount it, and that's fine as it positions the monitor at the right height for my head. Gives enough clearance from desk to put a few bits underneath it. No noticeable wobble, both the mount itself and the TV as mounted feel solid. Wish I'd gone for one with a matt base though rather than glass (bloody dust, maybe I should hoover more). I'll admit the tempered glass does look good though, and matches the border of the monitor.

Associate
OP
Anyone with a CX, is the colors washed out it in PC Input / Game Picture mode like on the C9? It's easy to tell; just switch between all of the picture modes on an colorful image and see if the other picture modes look much more color vibrant.

Soldato
Anyone with a CX, is the colors washed out it in PC Input / Game Picture mode like on the C9? It's easy to tell; just switch between all of the picture modes on an colorful image and see if the other picture modes look much more color vibrant.

No, if anything the colours and sharpness of text look far better on Game Picture Mode, than on Standard/Eco/Sports/Movies etc mode. It works excellently in this mode for both gaming and desktop usage.

I've set Game Picture Mode to my PC input HDMI port, and Standard Picture Mode for my Freeview box HDMI port. Both look stunning in their own way.

In gaming use, I played Detroit: Become Human at 4K. Graphics are staggeringly good and blew me away - the performance of the game is excellent, despite it being a Playstation port, even running at high FPS on Ultra on my 1080 graphics card. Lifelike visuals, popping colours, stunning clarity and foveation effects on foreground/background, rich and deeply textured blacks. The more I use it, the more reluctant I am to even call this a TV, as in my view it's a monitor - it's a stunning piece of kit.

It's not without faults
- the no "auto standby", though this might be a symptom of the other parts in my setup as I've heard others with Apple 4K etc. are ok
- I occasionally notice some text has a halo effect around some of the pixels, e.g. a black text on white page document, you might see a slight blue tinge around the text. But it's very minor and not distracting enough to detract from the text quality. This might need some customisation of settings as I've only left on default for now.

Last edited:
Associate
Well this is total crap. I had my C9 almost a month, and the more I use it the more things I have seen - terrbible things :/

First it was the flashing in movies, where dark meets white. As in the movie - The Fog (1980 - John Carpenter) where the glowing fog trails. In the fog it flashes on/off!
After that I seen it in more movies. And now when I finaly start playing games - couldent release myself from watching 4K HDR movies every night, was in total awe :D

With g-sync it's the same as in movies. In Blair Witch, it flashes all the time. And I who love horror games/movies. Of course it's easy to see there.

Well long story not so short. I tried it all, and read everywhere and it's nothing more to do the send it back. So damn glad I see this POS before the 30 days back to store time limit was up!

Now I dont know what to do. Shall I try a new C9, or just wait for the price drop on the 55 CX?
As I dont really want the 48. Will use it as my main display, for living room movies and gaming :)

What do you think guys. As I have seen many have this problem with g-sync - flicker / flashing on C9. Nothing you have noticed on the CX I pressume, as I havent seen it mentioned here!

Soldato
so let me get this right.
it has
Dolby vision
Gsync
120hz
has everything i want. however as GPU do not have HDMI 2.1 we locked at 4K@6h0hz over HDMI? as my GPU is 1080TI & that have 2.0b until 3080TI

I want one, just want to be clear current state as i already have a 27" 4K Monitor but at 60hz

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I don't think G-sync will work over hdmi on a 1080ti though. Only 20 series work over hdmi.

so let me get this right.
it has
Dolby vision
Gsync
120hz
has everything i want. however as GPU do not have HDMI 2.1 we locked at 4K@6h0hz over HDMI? as my GPU is 1080TI & that have 2.0b until 3080TI

I want one, just want to be clear current state as i already have a 27" 4K Monitor but at 60hz

Soldato
Associate
Really want the 48, will john lewis have them? I work for waitrose so i could use staff discount thinking in buying the console bundle for the 12 month credit would that be a bad thing to do? And then sell the console. Thanks

Soldato
Picture quality won't be as good.
And Phillips don't have good rep for good support firmware. Least of do

Maybe not as good picture quality, Support firmware? you still gotta wait for a firmware update from LG at the end of the year, to allow the LG's to do 4k 120hz haven't you? THEN buy a new GFx card.

Was just replying to poster that they can have big panel, 4k 120hz now that will run on his 1080ti.

Soldato
Really want the 48, will john lewis have them? I work for waitrose so i could use staff discount thinking in buying the console bundle for the 12 month credit would that be a bad thing to do? And then sell the console. Thanks

Hard to know, but knowing my experience as a consumer (i.e. non-employee), emails and request for stockage seem to go further in John Lewis vs. other companies. Contact their TV / Home Cinema team and ask them to stock it. I would certainly have bought from JL rather than any other supplier, if that were that a choice.

Back
Top Bottom