The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
@SoliD
Yes please, let us know :)
I love Vedett.
But Duvel Tripel is cream of the crop for me. My mate bought me some of their newest tripel hop (they replace the 3rd hop every few years for a new one). This one had their new cashmere hop and I tell you, that beer will take some beating to my tastebuds. Beautiful.

Soldato
It was beer hunter for the glass in a pack and then master of malt for the plain bottles.

I do like a Duvell. I've got a tripel karmeliet and st augustin that I got last weekend. I missed a trick when we were in Spain earlieri nthe year, the localish supermarket had Kwak for £2.15 or so per bottle randomly. I was planning to buy some on the day before we came home but lockdwon put a stop to it. Luckily we're going back in November and I've got a whole 20kg luggage extra with Easyjet for alcohol to bring home :D

Soldato
One of the only people on the trainer today! Trying to get some leg speed/power.

Race was going fine tonight until a couple of ZP users bridged to the front pack and then rode through us which resulted in people chasing them down and the pace going above what I could handle.

Not too far off my best figures 5% or so for 25 mins, before I dropped off. 10 mins of easier pedalling and let two guys 30 seconds back catch me, then rode with them the last lap and a half.

Man of Honour
As what all you guys (^) seem to be doing is an order of magnitude above anything I can imagine, I am just trying out different training schemes on Zwift...

Am now on my sixth day of Tabata intervals (only one set) due to having limited time available. I am also going to see if this means I can cancel my Zwift subscription (RGT is currently free, as is a trial membership of Training Peaks)! I am only doing one set of 8 (20/10s), because I am soft and squidgy...

And it is savage. It is about as close to weight training as I can get on a bike in both how it makes me dread it but also how my legs feel afterwards (and 24hrs afterwards).

However, first two days needed a rest between the last couple of reps, but can now make it through without stopping... Will have to do an FTP test at some point to see what difference is made!

I also can't seem to get RGT to use the ERG or controllable resistance, either... Everything else is fine, but I don't like having to shift gears if I am being punched in the lungs...

Soldato
I did it particularly nasty over/under session on TrainerRoad at around 10PM last night. I have never been that warm on a bike before. It was genuinely awful. I've nowhere decent near me to do that kind of session outside though and I can't do them too early in the day as my wife complains about the vibrations from the KICKR (even with a 10mm thick washing machine mat under it!)

Man of Honour
I did it particularly nasty over/under session on TrainerRoad at around 10PM last night. I have never been that warm on a bike before. It was genuinely awful. I've nowhere decent near me to do that kind of session outside though and I can't do them too early in the day as my wife complains about the vibrations from the KICKR (even with a 10mm thick washing machine mat under it!)

Depending on what time/intensity you were using, these go from really awful to "full body transplant required..."

And in this weather? You are crazy. :eek::D

Soldato
@Roady our Box times were 5:42 first lap and then a 5:52 second lap. Both at 6.2w/kg and I got dropped on the second one..... My all time best 5min on Zwift is 378w and I done 377w last night..... I've done over 400w on the road for 5 mins a few times and over 385w 6 times on the road. I just can't do it on the trainer.

It's genuinely the case that the standards now on A+ zwift racing is that you need 6.6+ for 5 mins and don't even get me started on 1 min power needed.... I have the 10min+ power like Andy for this game but for 1-5min I truly need to do a heap of work to be competitive at that top level :(

Did that absolutely ridiculous finish line catch you out as well? I wondered wtf they were all going at then looked and it said "0.1km to go".... BLEUGHRHGHGH
Finish didn't catch me out, I'd already given up my chase by then and a massive gap to those behind so just rolled across solo.

Great numbers buddy and savage times. I'm still impressed with my first effort up there (this is always the segment I use but its hidden now for some reason?) as wasn't planned to smash it, just felt good chasing a couple of wheels early in the ramp, taking stock a little as it spread out and determining the riders around me where not team riders or ones I recognised from GC. So eased a little, surfed wheels and found a good tempo, then as they stretched things towards the top I actually went with them as it felt quite easy to maintain the power/cadence rather than easing any... Then I saw my HR at 180bpm and decided to finish it a little easier, letting them go and riding with the GC guys, micro rest before hitting puncheurs quite hard leading that group. Even put an effort into the downhill to close a gap as I was feeling that good! 50mph! But then the second descent I was in aero tuck and several seconds faster (but more of a tow from group I guess!?) :o

@Roady Google it. Best Belgian beer in my opinion and has a great glass.
I thought Kwaremont had the best glass, the one with the cobbles in the bottom? ;)

@SoliD
Yes please, let us know :)
I love Vedett.
But Duvel Tripel is cream of the crop for me. My mate bought me some of their newest tripel hop (they replace the 3rd hop every few years for a new one). This one had their new cashmere hop and I tell you, that beer will take some beating to my tastebuds. Beautiful.
I know none of these beers and really need to. Suggestions? I do like an IPA, also a fan of weissbeer, but not a fan of some stouts.

Some of the best I had was when over in Lille at a bar called '3 Brasseurs'. Looks like a French handful/chain of bars on the border there. Probably as close to genuine Belgian beer I've had. They had a bunch of their own beers and all of them where glorious! Over 3-4 days I'd tried them all... The other half (being pregnant at the time) got quite bored of stopping there for a beer every time we walked past... Which was at least twice a day, sometimes as many as 5/6! But they did great a great selection of vegetarian food too (not often you can say that on the continent) so didn't feel too guilty! ;)

One of the only people on the trainer today!
So, so many did the WTRL TTT in the evening. I can't imagine what it was like. Torture! I went out in the afternoon, it was glorious if you kept moving!

I also can't seem to get RGT to use the ERG or controllable resistance, either... Everything else is fine, but I don't like having to shift gears if I am being punched in the lungs...
That sounds like a bug, latest firmware & version? It's worth reaching out to their support to troubleshoot as you'll get so much more enjoyment with ERG. Not having ERG would kill off most of my enjoyment of riding 'landscapes'. May as well be riding TR and just staring at a graph.

Soldato
We were 3rd on the premier league TTT again.
It was 33 degree's in my garage, it was utterly horrendous.
My QR skewer came undone and I was sideways on the bike with 4.5KM to go. Jumped off to tighten it and 9W/KG could not get back on and with 4KM to go no way they were going to wait on me :p

@Roady Tesco do a few Belgian beers these days.
Duvel Tripel Hop
Vedett (made by Duvel)
Leffe
Delerium

All of those are amazing. I dare say they even knock the socks off some of the decent Scottish ales I can get....
They're all blond type ales. None of them are heavy dark stouts or anything like that so I reckon you'll like all of those.
Tripel and Delerium are over 8% but don't let that put you off. They taste amazing. 2 of those little stubby tripels and I am half ******.

Soldato
Loving all the beer chat in a training thread.

I'm not massively into all this brewdog stuff and usually drink tennents, moretti, corona, asahi, tiger, tsingtao or anything that's going.

Nicest I've had was a microbrewery in morzine called bec jaune, what was on tap changed pretty regularly but one was called liver cunter if I remember correctly :D

Soldato
We were 3rd on the premier league TTT again.
It was 33 degree's in my garage, it was utterly horrendous.
My QR skewer came undone and I was sideways on the bike with 4.5KM to go. Jumped off to tighten it and 9W/KG could not get back on and with 4KM to go no way they were going to wait on me :p
Hardly surprising you didn't make it back on! Doh!

I did watch some of the 3R guys stream, I'm not one for watching streams, I barely have enough time to ride myself - nevermind watching others do it! Seeing them riding at 3.5/4 and recovering, then 60s pulls at 6w/kg really put into perspective the level some of the Zwifters are at. Seeing a rider I've ridden with a few times (Alan Hugill) just sat on the front tapping out 5w/kg for what seemed like several minutes while the other riders all struggled to hold his wheel haha. Although I did look at some of the guys who where mostly drafting and not pulling, at 3-3.5/230-250W thinking 'I could do that...'

@Roady Tesco do a few Belgian beers these days.
Duvel Tripel Hop
Vedett (made by Duvel)
Leffe
Delerium

All of those are amazing. I dare say they even knock the socks off some of the decent Scottish ales I can get....
They're all blond type ales. None of them are heavy dark stouts or anything like that so I reckon you'll like all of those.
Tripel and Delerium are over 8% but don't let that put you off. They taste amazing. 2 of those little stubby tripels and I am half ******.
Decent list thanks, Tesco is a great shout as my local shop (about the old place I go to get alcohol) is a 'One Stop' and actually owned/run/supplied by Tesco, so highly likely they'll have some of them...

Loving all the beer chat in a training thread.

I'm not massively into all this brewdog stuff and usually drink tennents, moretti, corona, asahi, tiger, tsingtao or anything that's going.
Haha. Well half of training, is recovery, right? Nothing quite like a recovery beer... Or two.

I actually dislike most Brewdog stuff I've tried. Flavours too strong/sour for me. An IPA should be more smooth, their dead pony or whatever it's called is not smooth.

Your list of beers is pretty much what I tend to pick up. Just maybe drop the tennents and corona, then put a san miguel in there and that's pretty much it!

Soldato
Back on topic ;)

Did a 3R race tonight, had a good 25 minute warm up as one of those where all the grades come together at the start so it ends up being an A/B smashfest. Almost perfectly flat on the Tic Tok course (desert and underwater loop). Only really one “hill”.

Full gas the whole race for me, 5w plus up the hill out of the desert to stay in the front. Almost off the back coming out of the underwater and gave up for a second before digging in and just pedalling hardly seeing the screen, got back on and slingshotted round the corner/up the wooden bridge back to the desert with the draft carrying me through the group. Held on until 1km to go where I just popped. Rolled over with two others 20 seconds down.

7th in B, lots of riders filtered, 9th on the Zwift results. Netted a 20 minute power PB on the turbo of 4wkg (320w).

I’m losing longer ride fitness (thanks weather) but if I can keep my 5-20 minute efforts alright then I can do my turn on the front of the bunch & get over the hills is my thinking! I have seen blokes doing 150-200km days in the week while I’ve been working!

Soldato
The intensity does help, met a few guys who are putting out 19-20mph average 80-100 mile rides but can't handle it when you start pushing mad watts for a few miles.

I hate those races were its one big bunch, hard to tell when you can decide to sit up and find a group where you belong but there are Bs that should be riding A.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Everyone got them. Nobody is a VIP. It is simply zwift being the turd company that zwift truly is.

Boost mode ffs!!

I am a convert to RGT, so much nicer than zwift and not run by *********. Big update incoming next week as well.

Soldato
I am a convert to RGT, so much nicer than zwift and not run by *********. Big update incoming next week as well.

I'm yet to try it but seen enough videos of guys racing on it and spoke to enough people to assure myself it can't offer what I want from it yet.
I 100% want it to though. I want it to be a genuine competitor to Zwift as we need that with these platforms.

Rumour has it (from a zwift employee) that draft mechanics changes are incoming. Would certainly be most welcome by me if they are reducing the blob speeds and reducing the draft pull power overall. Apparently the changes are to encourage and so we actually see breakaways being possible in this virtual TDF. So we live in hope!

Back
Top Bottom