Too old for my Panigale. What next?

Soldato
I purchased my 959 Panigale back in 2017 against the advice of some fellow bikers. 'Your back will ache' they said. 'And your wrists and neck will ache too'.

Three years in, and having past the mid-forties mark, everything which was said has indeed come to be. Usually within an hour of riding!

I can't afford to keep it so I am after a decent replacement which will need to fall within the sale price + an additional £2k. Some help with determining the Panigale's worth will also be appreciated. 67 plate. < 3k miles. Immaculate. Underbelly Akra pipes. The stock pipes and fairing are in a box so the buyer gets those too.

Big question is what to get next? Eyes are on the 2020 Street Triple RS. Seems to tick all the boxes. Some thoughts from you guys would be more than welcome.

Man of Honour
It really depends on what you want from a bike. Some people want a pretty bike to drool over and show off at meets covering a few miles per year, some want a practical bike to do 20k in a year, and everything between.

What sort of riding do you do? Is it mostly fair weather weekend runs (<1k per year going by your current bike), or do you want something more versatile for more miles? Prefer form over function or vice versa? You might be able to open up more options with aftermarket comfort modifications such as seats, pegs and bar risers.

Soldato
OP
I'm a weekend fair weather rider. I don't need a bike. See mileage on the Ducati :) The Mrs refers to it as the garage ornament, which to a large extent is factually correct.
Reason for the RS is the upright nature + the performance and ability to take it on track. I love the attached review when he rides around Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Jump to 12 m 45 sec for that bit.

Thing is I don't want to miss out on anything else worthy of a test ride at least hence the post. For example, when I rushed out and bought the Panigale, I didn't realise the V4 would be released 4 months later. I was frustrated by that.

Requirements
Not hunched over but slightly forward seating or even upright
Good balance of performance and comfort for the older gent
Looks nice

Not precious about manufacturer. As well as the RS I have been looking at the new Ducati Streetfigher. That's a hell of a machine but likely exceeds my budget. Not so pretty - and I do like 'pretty' bikes.

Caporegime
The RS is a lovely bike, can't go wrong.

Maybe a KTM if you enjoy that kind of bike.

Complete curveball, maybe a Vitpilen?

Going by your criteria however, this is screaming CB1000R.

uhLuHdp.jpg

Soldato
OP
The RS is a lovely bike, can't go wrong.

Maybe a KTM if you enjoy that kind of bike.

Complete curveball, maybe a Vitpilen?

Going by your criteria however, this is screaming CB1000R.

That's why I created this thread :) See I'd never have thought of that. It's going onto my list of bikes to test. Looks good. Lots of power. Comfy. The dash lets it down a bit. Would like one of those colour TFTs. We rode on CBF600s during DAS and they were a lot of fun. Thanks.

Edit - the Vitpilen looks like a café racer. No good for me slouched over like that. Nice bikes though.

Soldato
OP
Mt09? I have one though thinking of changing soon, or as a complete change Indian FTR1200S? They look like some fun.
Not keen on the MTs. They're too plasticky but you do get a lot for your money. That Indian looks interesting! Needs a bigger back tyre IMO but def worth a look.

I was in the US recently and hired a Bonneville T120 for the day. That thing was plush. Needed something more sporty for the Californian twisties, mind.

Soldato
What about a sports tourer?

All the fun of a sports bike but with comfort.

BMW S1000xr, Ducati Multistrada, KTM superduke GT all have the wow factor.

And a personal favourite if you like something a bit exotic, the MV agusta turismo veloce

Man of Honour
What about a sports tourer?

All the fun of a sports bike but with comfort.

BMW S1000xr, Ducati Multistrada, KTM superduke GT all have the wow factor.

And a personal favourite if you like something a bit exotic, the MV agusta turismo veloce
I was going to suggest the S1000XR. Sportsbike performance in a comfortable (enough) package. It’s not a head turner but it’s a bloody good bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
I purchased my 959 Panigale back in 2017 against the advice of some fellow bikers. 'Your back will ache' they said. 'And your wrists and neck will ache too'.

Three years in, and having past the mid-forties mark, everything which was said has indeed come to be. Usually within an hour of riding!

I can't afford to keep it so I am after a decent replacement which will need to fall within the sale price + an additional £2k. Some help with determining the Panigale's worth will also be appreciated. 67 plate. < 3k miles. Immaculate. Underbelly Akra pipes. The stock pipes and fairing are in a box so the buyer gets those too.

Big question is what to get next? Eyes are on the 2020 Street Triple RS. Seems to tick all the boxes. Some thoughts from you guys would be more than welcome.

I have a 2018 RS and it's been an utterly brilliant bike! Funnily enough, I saw someone reccomend the CB1000R - I have one sat on the drive right now (loan bike) and honestly; it's not a patch on the RS. I wouldn't go as far as to say its drab, but I was expecting more than it delivered - I guess it could just be the dullness of an inline 4 though.

Happy to answer any questions you have on the Trumpet though :)

Soldato
Also if you like lots of power there the new Z H2 (A turbo charged Z1000)
But not sure if anyone could call it a pretty bike :D but at lest you could call it a pretty heavy bike (239kgs) :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom