Tell me about the Nissan Micra K12

Caporegime
My MIL has had her motorbility car taken away from her, so she needs a cheap auto, there is one local to us on a private sale, listed for £2000 with only 37k on the clock, apparently owned by an elderly lady and just used around town.

Anything I should be looking out for or should I get an RAC check done?

Thanks!

Soldato
I have no experience with the auto version but the manual one is utterly bomb proof. We had one which was completely abused by learner drivers and generally driven with no sympathy and it never went wrong. Fantastic run about.
I imagine you’re paying a premium there for the auto.

if the history checks out I wouldn’t hesitate.

Associate
My in-laws had one for over 10 years. Think it was on around 180k miles when they finally ditched it. For most of that time until the end part of their ownership it was a really solid car, started first time every time even in -20 temperatures.

I had a k13 delivering pizza for a couple of years and that never went wrong, even though it used to be delivering pizza for anything up to 12 hours per day. Great little cars.

Associate
Forgot to mention that both cars in my post were manuals, so check the box. Also I remember their boot didn't open at some point so check that opens normally too.

Soldato
Associate
It is currently SORN according to DVLA website so unsure how I can legally test drive it.
Don't bother with it then in that case. These sort of cars are so common that you can just move on to looking for another one if it's not perfect.

Soldato
As I recall, the earlier K12's had serious issues regarding timing chain stretch.

They wouldn't get noisy, but the stretch would de-phase the signals from the cam and crank sensor generating a cam sensor fault and putting the engine into limp mode.

It was an expensive fix requiring engine removal.

(A temp fix could be achieved by elongating the cam sensor bolt holes allowing a small amount of adjustment. but it wouldn't last)

I guess after all this time, all the vulnerable examples will be long gone, but an older low mileage example might still have the potential for problems.

Caporegime
As I recall, the earlier K12's had serious issues regarding timing chain stretch.

They wouldn't get noisy, but the stretch would de-phase the signals from the cam and crank sensor generating a cam sensor fault and putting the engine into limp mode.

It was an expensive fix requiring engine removal.

(A temp fix could be achieved by elongating the cam sensor bolt holes allowing a small amount of adjustment. but it wouldn't last)

I guess after all this time, all the vulnerable examples will be long gone, but an older low mileage example might still have the potential for problems.

Same issue with Nissan Primera from that generation. Requires a new timing chain.

Caporegime
OP
Are you going to go for it then?
Taking MIL to see it tomorrow now that I feel like it's not a lemon, most likely she will go for it.

Slight delay in change of ownership as the lady who owned it passed away so they have to change it to a relatives ownership first, that's also why it wasn't taxed.

Soldato
Slight delay in change of ownership as the lady who owned it passed away so they have to change it to a relatives ownership first, that's also why it wasn't taxed.

Reminds me of a problem a friend of mine had with a car.

Previous owner (Her Mother) name "A" "B" <something>

Her name, also "A" "B" <something>

(IE identical full legal names)

DVLA went nuts on this!

Treated it like somebody was trying to change their official date of birth.

Bit like being legally declared dead. It is funny until it happens to you. Then it is really hard! :(

:/

Back
Top Bottom