Camping out side hairdressers on the 3rd?

Soldato
I just shaved my head at start of lockdown - Think I’m just going to do that again rather than go to barbers.

I'm in two minds about going back just yet. I think it'll be busy at the start and I'm not sure I'm overly keen on going when infections can very easily still spread, then there will be the whole masks and things which will be required.

I've had 2 haircuts since lockdown, which I've been doing at home. It isn't as good as what my hairdresser does, but it's been doing the job well enough.

So I'm thinking I might return, but not quite yet but at the same time, I've had the same hairdresser for a number of years.
TBH I'm not sure I'm ever going to bother going back to a barbers. Cut my own hair in the mirror near the start of lockdown and I don't think it looks too bad actually - I'd go so far as to say I've had worse cuts from some barbers in the past! I'd never have tried doing it myself before, but now I've given it a go it I've realised it's actually not too difficult, and it's not the end of the world if some bits are slightly untidy. Girlfriend can tidy it up if I make a hash of it :).

I reckon I'll just save my £15 every 2 months and do it myself from now on. With the risk of infection as well as the cost there's certainly no way I'm going any time soon.

Soldato
TBH I'm not sure I'm ever going to bother going back to a barbers. Cut my own hair in the mirror near the start of lockdown and I don't think it looks too bad actually - I'd go so far as to say I've had worse cuts from some barbers in the past! I'd never have tried doing it myself before, but now I've given it a go it I've realised it's actually not too difficult, and it's not the end of the world if some bits are slightly untidy. Girlfriend can tidy it up if I make a hash of it :).

I reckon I'll just save my £15 every 2 months and do it myself from now on. With the risk of infection as well as the cost there's certainly no way I'm going any time soon.

Yeah agreed - I hate going to the Barbers anyway, with all the boring small talk that neither parties can really be bothered with :p

Caporegime
Seems fair enough as people were camping out in order to get a spot on the beach at Bournemouth yesterday and other people had travelled all night long to be there early so I think a haircut is much more important and a patch of sand.

Man of Honour
Seems fair enough as people were camping out in order to get a spot on the beach at Bournemouth yesterday and other people had travelled all night long to be there early so I think a haircut is much more important and a patch of sand.

No different to southend, i live 5 mins from the beach and haven't been down there for a walk this last week as it's absolute carnage.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Isn't this just guidance and not mandatory? I messaged him earlier and he stated walk in service no appointments.
all the ones I looked at on facebook for newcastle anyway seemed to be walk in.
I guess the government wants to not have huge queues but when bars open the say day and will have queues whats the point?

Soldato
moreover have the new prices been announced ... that may limit the queues, contactless won't cut it.
and I still think they may be out of practise.

edit: & do you need to take your own mask ...maybe a stupid question

Permabanned
moreover have the new prices been announced ... that may limit the queues, contactless won't cut it.

I don't think "Something for the weekend, Sir" includes a bio hazard mask, so if you are that desperate for a supposed professional to cut your locks it may be best to take your own. Bizarre times, if someone told me 12 months ago threads like this were forthcoming I'd have called the men in white coats. I am surprised cartoonists haven't gone to town on some of this stuff.

Caporegime

yea if they go ridiculous I'll buy some clippers, sick of profiteering during this pandemic, we are all in this together was always nonsense.
looking at more barbers around me one...

says they charge £5
if you didn't wash your hair before going.
and
- All initial haircuts will be charged at restyle price, £19.50.
- We hope you understand that “fixing home cuts” or if you haven’t had your hair since March this will require us to take longer, along with the additional cost of PPE.
lol get out of here!!! what a lousy excuse to up the prices.

normal price in Newcastle is between £8-9.50 almost everywhere

cutting someones hair thats overgrown by maybe half an inch longer than they would usualy get a cut isn't adding extra time..

they don't cut your hair twice they just take more off at a time.

barbers are a dime a dozen around here, literally almost every migrant that comes over opens one, I hope the greedy ones end up losing all their regulars

Permabanned

normal price in Newcastle is between £8-9.50 almost everywhere

cutting someones hair thats overgrown by maybe half an inch longer than they would usualy get a cut isn't adding extra time..

they don't cut your hair twice they just take more off at a time.

barbers are a dime a dozen around here, literally almost every migrant that comes over opens one, I hope the greedy ones end up losing all their regulars

I know a few have struggled in the lock down, but a "lousy excuse"? Have things progressed to people having hair lice for barbers to deal with already? ;) Basic cut in Whitchurch is £6 to £7 (probably lice or not given the, even normal, state of some of the folk round here). You can get yourself a weekend with fairly good looking twins for £19.50, with a thank you and a discount coupon.

Caporegime
Trying to get a haircut on the first day barbers open (unless you've pre-booked, got a guaranteed appointment) seems like a pointless waste of time...

Why not just leave it a week or so for things to calm down? Or just book an appointment for a few days later at a barber taking appointments?

yea if they go ridiculous I'll buy some clippers, sick of profiteering during this pandemic, we are all in this together was always nonsense.
looking at more barbers around me one...

says they charge £5
if you didn't wash your hair before going.

and

- All initial haircuts will be charged at restyle price, £19.50.
- We hope you understand that “fixing home cuts” or if you haven’t had your hair since March this will require us to take longer, along with the additional cost of PPE

Not really a lousy excuse tbh.. they've lost business, they probably will take extra time, they do have extra faff re: changing PPE, they will have to deal with lots of demand.

Of course the obvious reason for raising prices is the excess demand - don't see a huge issue with that, basic economics. They're not hoarding anything, they're not supplying anything essential and they don't have a monopoly.... so fair play - if enough people are keen enough for a haircut that they'll pay those prices then that's a fair price for them to set.

If you're annoyed at them then you're free to exercise your choice to not have a haircut with them and/or tell them why etc..

Caporegime
most people have lost business, but most people can't just double their prices.

I'd understand if you normally charged 10 and now your charging 12-14 because of ppe but charging double and claiming its because everyone has long hair is a joke.

if you went to the barbers with the same length hair in march they wouldn't have charged you extra.

if you want a fade then sure it's probably harder and takes a lot longer but for a regular gentleman's haircut it's not adding time.

EDIT:

one I'm planning to go to in a city centre location that has room to cut multiple people at a time said theyre only upping their prices by 50pence to pay for the ppe/sanitation stuff and anyone doubling their prices is ripping off customers :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
So what is the issue then? You're not even using the barbers that charges higher prices than you'd like to pay now... like I said they're not a monopoly and you've just demonstrated that point by highlighting that you're going to exercise your choice to go elsewhere.

Soldato
Nantwich has a superfluity of barbers and hairdressers, many were already charging womens styling prices for a mens cut. I last paid £7.50 for a simple cut in the market barbers and probably wont pay more.

Back
Top Bottom