Anyone got wood?

Soldato
long story short baught 28mm by 145mm decking boards. didn't order enough to finish so had to wait till the timber yard got more in. was told it be into the end of July before the 28mm would be back in stock but i could get 32mm much earlier. the thickness isn't a problem because im putting a fascia to cover the cut ends.

the 32mm turns up today and it is totally green. i emailed the yard to be told that it is the pressure treatment and it will fade to the nice pine colour and also the tread pattern is thicker.

pe911ZE.jpg

sent the same picture to a mate who worked in a sawmill. instantly he said the yard has got the wood from a different supplier and that wont fade to the honey colour of pine it will go silver.

so i will tell the yard to uplift this 32mm. but my fear is i wait for the 28mm and that comes from a different saw mill again. so im stuck with decking that is missing a section because i didn't order enough in the first place.

The wife is loving it btw :(

Soldato
OP
Thats a whole other argument. originally the wife wanted to stain/paint it. but when i started to lay it she was in love with the natural color and wants to keep it that way.

Soldato
If you did want to stain...

I used some of this on two fences, and they came out the same colour. One was an older fence and had gone silvery, the other was fairly new and already a golden colour. Went for the Golden Brown and they're pretty much identical now. https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/25/266/nourish-and-protect-wood-protective-treatment

Based on my experiences with the brand, if I had decking, I'd be very tempted to go for something from their decking range - https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/25/products?cat=42

Soldato
its pressure treated, you're friend is wrong, i can go outside and take a photo of my stuff that was pressure treated, it arrived wet and green and I had delivered early last month. It will 100% turn to the same/very similar colour once its dried (do not stain it for the first season to make sure the pressure treat fluid dries out correctly and the wood can absorb more stain)

Soldato
OP
its pressure treated, you're friend is wrong, i can go outside and take a photo of my stuff that was pressure treated, it arrived wet and green and I had delivered early last month. It will 100% turn to the same/very similar colour once its dried (do not stain it for the first season to make sure the pressure treat fluid dries out correctly and the wood can absorb more stain)

if you could send me a picture that would be great. i can at least prove to the wife

Soldato
if you could send me a picture that would be great. i can at least prove to the wife

Here is a decent comparison to keep the missus happy;

Tcv2rH5.jpg

from the bottom up it goes; old silver/ages crap, new unstained was previously green, followed by 4 stained new ones that were once green, then at the very back is a stained old silver one.

Basically I was being lazy and though I could replace the handful of rotten boards and just stain them all, turns out I was wrong and I am now replacing all of them. But thats irrelevant you can see what was once green wet wood has become a nice light/golden piney colour then with a stain looks even better.

TEtqhE3.jpg

A better side by side of silver old wood vs new dried pressure treated wood.

I dont have a photo of it when it was first delivered but it was probably about as green as yours if not greener.

Back
Top Bottom