Most Impressive 4K Movie

Man of Honour
Joker was filmed exclusively with Arri Alexa cameras. They should be industry standard as they are absolutely sublime, particularly when combined with Hasselblad lenses.

I think it's probably true that the equipment used to make the film helps more than the final resolution on the disk.

There are some great 4k Blu-ray's with 2k DI's and equally some 4k DI's that really don't impress at all.

Soldato
General rule if a film is cgi heavy it won't be true 4k, it may have been shot on 4k/5k even but gets passed to a render farm and processed to 2k due to the already insane times it takes to render cgi in films.

That said Dunkirk is probably the best 4k film iv watched from a clarity perspective.
HDR is also an important consideration, John Wick 2 is very pretty with it.

Soldato
Top Gun
Batman (89)
Batman Returns
Transformers The Last Knight
Mad Max Fury Road
Alien
Ready player one
The Goonies
Hacksaw Ridge
All the marvel movies
All the DC movies
All the fast and the furious movies

Man of Honour
Anything filmed in native 4K or filmed on 35mm film generally makes for good conversions. You can check this on IMDB under technical specs.

Even though it’s decades old, 35mm film actually has a resolution around 5.6K!

Braveheart is a stunning conversion.

Unless they were shot on top tier equipment originally especially when it comes to lenses and scanned/processed by someone who knows what they are doing 35mm scanned to 4K I find the noise detracts too much from the resolution and spoils the impression of high definition.

Permabanned
If you look the fine detail, The newest big releases seem to go for 1080p upscaled. Look at Harry Pottrr and Star Wars and a few of the war films all upscaled.

They plan to cheap out so thats the bluray transfer, Then in a few years they do an 8k scan and sell it again!! To hell with it unless the film is true native 4k and reviewed as such NO BUY! Thankfully for me being a post 2012 Hollywood shunner that means most of my old movies get a true 4k first time around. :)

Back
Top Bottom