Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
:)

I normally order from Master of malt and they don’t stock War Eagle, I might get some makers mark at the supermarket instead, I’m trying to cut down on what I spend on whisky, so lately prefer to buy more easily available stuff that’s a little cheaper. I recently got a bottle of Slipknot No9 whisky which was nice but a bit pricey.

Honestly from those I've tried the rarer ones and more expensive ones - to a point I wouldn't ever spend more than maybe £35 on a bottle.

Anyway, point I'm trying to make with bourbon, your Makers Mark/Woodford Reserve are very good, easy to get and often on good offers and are some of the best I've tried to date.

The only one that springs to mind is John B. Stetson Kentucky Straight, which is normally £29 a bottle now that one is good.

Soldato
Honestly from those I've tried the rarer ones and more expensive ones - to a point I wouldn't ever spend more than maybe £35 on a bottle.

Anyway, point I'm trying to make with bourbon, your Makers Mark/Woodford Reserve are very good, easy to get and often on good offers and are some of the best I've tried to date.

The only one that springs to mind is John B. Stetson Kentucky Straight, which is normally £29 a bottle now that one is good.

Indeed, I need to set myself a limit, I hate to look at what I spent on whisky the last few years. And as you say there are some lovely whiskies at a reasonable price like Woodford reserve, buillet rye is really nice as well, currently got a bottle of Jim beam double oak, which is decent.

Soldato
Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye which I think is my new favourite rye for cocktails but also nice straight. It's cheaper than Bulleit but much better imo. Not quite as good as Rittenhouse but it is £20 cheaper...

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a nice rye whiskey for up to around £30 from Amazon? I've just been gifted a voucher, and thought that trying something new would be a good way to spend it.

I normally like a single malt Scotch or Irish, but I'll try anything once. ;)

Soldato
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodford-Reserve-Bourbon-Whiskey-70/dp/B001P4YYH0

A bit cheaper but I got this on offer the other week and was shocked at how nice it was for a rye (I am a rum man myself)
Except it's a bourbon, right? :confused:

I picked up a bottle at £20 because my current one was almost empty. I much prefer scotch but like having a cheap bourbon in for cocktails, so I have a Camelx3 notification set for when WR goes under £24 ;)

Might have to try making a Boulevardier tonight :)

Soldato

I picked up a bottle at £20 because my current one was almost empty. I much prefer scotch but like having a cheap bourbon in for cocktails, so I have a Camelx3 notification set for when WR goes under £24 ;)

I did not even notice that, it was the Rye version I got morrisons, not sure I have had the actual bourbon one

Soldato

I noticed that it was a bourbon rather than a rye when I bought it, but I'm quite impressed with how nice it is, although my only previous experiences with American Whiskey have been cheap stuff with coke, so I haven't got much to compare it to!

Soldato
OP
Some are made with Rye, most Wheat, some are a mix of both. I'd consider them all still to be bourbon.

I need to try more Rye versions, the only one I tried was Bulleit Rye, and I preferred the regular version so it put me off a bit.

Soldato
Some are made with Rye, most Wheat, some are a mix of both. I'd consider them all still to be bourbon.

I need to try more Rye versions, the only one I tried was Bulleit Rye, and I preferred the regular version so it put me off a bit.
Bourbon = 51%+ corn.
Rye = 51%+ rye

In layman's terms when you get something like the Bulleit Rye it just means they've adjusted the amount of mash to include 51%+ rye rather than corn.

I'm no bourbon nerd (like I say I much prefer scotch, and treat rye and bourbon like mixers rather than sippers) but that's all you need to remember. I'd like to try an aged bourbon or rye, but meh.

Associate

Not sure what you mean here but bourbon is a corn whiskey, at least 51%. But, it's generally more, as much as 80% is some cases. There are other ingredients such as rye, barley or wheat. But wheat is not very common in bourbons, albeit Makers does use some wheat.

Back
Top Bottom