Doom Eternal

Soldato
Awww, are the liccle hackers angry cos they gonna have to use invasive anti cheat to play online.

Poor things.

:p

I get what you are saying and Anti Cheat is always a good thing when done right but you do understand what Denuvo Anti Cheat is dont you?
It lights my AV up like christmas tree and rightly so because it behaves exactly as most malware and injects itself into the OS kernel.

Not only is that far from needed, intrusive and plain wrong the potential security holes it opens up for other dodgy software is mind blowing and as I also perform financial transactions on my machine this type of solution does belong anywhere near it.

Soldato
I get what you are saying and Anti Cheat is always a good thing when done right but you do understand what Denuvo Anti Cheat is dont you?
It lights my AV up like christmas tree and rightly so because it behaves exactly as most malware and injects itself into the OS kernel.

Not only is that far from needed, intrusive and plain wrong the potential security holes it opens up for other dodgy software is mind blowing and as I also perform financial transactions on my machine this type of solution does belong anywhere near it.

You think that's the only vulnerability on your machine?

Guess people have a choice to make.

Soldato

Despite our best intentions, feedback from players has made it clear that we must re-evaluate our approach to anti-cheat integration. With that, we will be removing the anti-cheat technology from the game in our next PC update. As we examine any future of anti-cheat in DOOM Eternal, at a minimum we must consider giving campaign-only players the ability to play without anti-cheat software installed, as well as ensure the overall timing of any anti-cheat integration better aligns with player expectations around clear initiatives – like ranked or competitive play – where demand for anti-cheat is far greater.

Associate
power to the people, another backpedal
Good. I guess.

I expected more from id Software than denuvo. There are smart people there, can't they think of something better than obfuscated rootkit?

Associate
power to the people, another backpedal
Good. I guess.

I expected more from id Software than denuvo. There are smart people there, can't they think of something better than obfuscated rootkit?
What is the something better though? The reality is every single multiplayer game on PC has cheaters and will have cheaters.

Soldato
Lol. The hackers win again.

Cant say I'm surprised. Cos privacy blah, blah my hooman ritez, innit!

Ah well. Eternal is just another online PC game that's hacked to hell and no fun to play.

I'll stick to console. Less cheating there :)

Man of Honour
What is the something better though? The reality is every single multiplayer game on PC has cheaters and will have cheaters.

The problem is the method of combatting cheating - game developers/studios don't seem to want to budget for the kind of game features that would help to reduce cheating and instead rely on trying to brute force manage it via software - a certain amount of anti-cheat to discourage casual cheaters is a good idea but invasive techniques to try and combat hardcore cheating is mostly a waste of time as there are increasingly diminishing returns in the number of cheaters it prevents while a massive increase in potential problems due to the nature of more invasive anti-cheat.

Soldato

Well talking about Doom specifically, nobody plays multiplayer so it was a dumb decision. There are far less intrusive options, yes far from perfect but they also dont open up your OS for abuse.
More widely significant barriers that aren't an issue to most people like hardware ID bans and 2FA on accounts should be the standard by now but they aren't

Then theres the fact that multiplayer games still release to the wider public without any form of anti cheat in the first place...what do these companies expect?

Soldato
The problem is the method of combatting cheating - game developers/studios don't seem to want to budget for the kind of game features that would help to reduce cheating and instead rely on trying to brute force manage it via software - a certain amount of anti-cheat to discourage casual cheaters is a good idea but invasive techniques to try and combat hardcore cheating is mostly a waste of time as there are increasingly diminishing returns in the number of cheaters it prevents while a massive increase in potential problems due to the nature of more invasive anti-cheat.

Sadly if you want to properly combat cheating you need to pay humans to sit in seats and go hunt these people down and ban them. You just can't cut corners with things like Denuvo, they don't work and never will. But alas, one of these problems requires putting your hand in your pocket and the other does not.

The industry needs to decide if it really wants to get serious about it or not, and if it's willing to pay to make it happen.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sadly if you want to properly combat cheating you need to pay humans to sit in seats and go hunt these people down and ban them. You just can't cut corners with things like Denuvo, they don't work and never will. But alas, one of these problems requires putting your hand in your pocket and the other does not.

The industry needs to decide if it really wants to get serious about it or not, and if it's willing to pay to make it happen.

It'll never happen. Profits come first and only. Even Quake Champions doesn't have their cheat system enabled after all these years.

Soldato
It'll never happen. Profits come first and only. Even Quake Champions doesn't have their cheat system enabled after all these years.

Then it needs to accept that it is a problem and will be a problem going forward and just leave it alone and stop messing honest people around with crap like Denuvo. It's classic "have your cake and eat it" syndrome, similar to how social media refuses to get tough on trolls, fake news, etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
Then it needs to accept that it is a problem and will be a problem going forward and just leave it alone and stop messing honest people around with crap like Denuvo. It's classic "have your cake and eat it" syndrome, similar to how social media refuses to get tough on trolls, fake news, etc.

It's also not the first time todays id Software revoked something that got a backlash.

Soldato
Currently half price on steam for £25, picked it up will play later today. Enjoyed the 2016 one.

Yeah seems like a good deal, trying to decide whether to pay extra for the deluxe but will definitely be grabbing one or the other, loved the 2016 one.

Soldato
Yeah, also thinking about grabbing it now since they got rid of the kernel-level driver and it's on sale.

Not sure about the pass yet, I think you can get 5$ extra discount on the base game and checkout, then grab the pass separately for another 5$. If it works like that, then it's cheaper than the deluxe.

Soldato
dont save your self the sheer frustration, i have the gamne and have got to mission 9 and it's very very very hard, i lost 35 extra lives and spent a good 1hr trying to find the boss you need to kill but had no luck, kept dying so gave up, the games ok, music makes up for the constant death but even then mission 9 is just crazy hard and no matter how much music they've thrown at it still makes it very very hard

Soldato
Yeah, also thinking about grabbing it now since they got rid of the kernel-level driver and it's on sale.

Not sure about the pass yet, I think you can get 5$ extra discount on the base game and checkout, then grab the pass separately for another 5$. If it works like that, then it's cheaper than the deluxe.

Not sure how that would work, unless I'm missing something? You need to spend £30 to get the £5 discount, so can't get that on the main game as its £25, and the pass is £25 on its own, unless you are talking about buying the pass elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom