Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I recommend trying to run in the heat just to climatise to it I mean if you end up in a race in this heat imo you need to know what it feels like.

Aslong as you carry fluids got suncream on there no problem, I did a 4 miler in it today slowly coming back from a string of problems.

Soldato
Agreed, i think it's always worth getting out in some heat, although the last few days even at 6-7am it was low 20's. I've been carrying a soft flask with me just for an hour long run and usually i don't bother with a drink for that kind of duration.

Day 5 of the 10k challenge, luckily i got home just before the heavens opened. I felt better today, but then got to one hill and just seemed to throw my stride completely and the rest of the run was a bit disappointing. Think it just accumulated running so as soon as theres an extended hill the tired legs really kick in. I said at the start of the week i was going to be really strict with stretching/foam rolling..... I've done none.

Soldato
I did Scafell Pike on Wednesday and burned pretty badly up there on my arms and neck, not to mention still feeling generally battered doing that walk in the heat. Picked one day that there wasn't a cloud in the sky and almost no wind which is definitely a rarity in the Lake District :D

Really not looking forward to the run tomorrow as I already struggled doing one this Monday after doing High Street last weekend, really need to figure out how to balance hikes and running.

Also where do people get their training plans from?

Soldato
There a lots of options, Strava and Garmin have them, but then you can find generic ones online too. My issue with them is they're usually quite rigid, and i prefer to just go out and do what i want. Probably why i don't see the gains other people do!

It is difficult finding a balance with multiple hobbies i agree. I wouldn't mind cycling or sailing but that's one more thing to try and fit in!

Associate
I have a family that arent really interested in cycling, running or hiking so it has been hard to get someone else to do stuff. Older daughter has started showing interest in all three now so maybe I can get out a bit more :)

Associate
I do agree to an extent about acclimatising to it, but there's not denying it's a much harder slog the hotter it gets. I use to do the Wycombe 1/2 which is typically in mid July and it's pretty brutal especially as it's very hilly.

Not long got back from a 7 miler and it was about 25-27c heat....and blerghghghghgh is all I can say.

Soldato
There a lots of options, Strava and Garmin have them, but then you can find generic ones online too. My issue with them is they're usually quite rigid, and i prefer to just go out and do what i want. Probably why i don't see the gains other people do!

It is difficult finding a balance with multiple hobbies i agree. I wouldn't mind cycling or sailing but that's one more thing to try and fit in!

Well my issue is that I'm a lazy sod and need a little structure and kick up the behind or I just plateua :D

Supposed to run tomorrow but calves are still feeling murdered from Wednesday's climb, one good thing is that we're meant to have rain and thunder in a few hours so may clear the air at least and drop the temperature.

If we do have this kinda of heat this summer then I'm not likely to progress much and suppose with my running event cancelled in September, right now the goal is just general fitness maintenance and weight loss. Hopefully times naturally improve as I lose weight and have less mass to propel!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
First week of this challenge and my first ever week or running every day. As such I’ve hit a new record for weekly miles at 46.2.

Feel quite good. Today was tough due to a hangover but the cooler weather was a godsend.

Well done mate, that's a nice tally for a week. How long left for the challenge?

Soldato
Officially it’s 15 days so another 8.

It’s now at the stage of adding 0.5k per day too. So today was 11 and tomorrow will be 11.5k I think worked out towards the end it’ll be around 9 miles so going to be quite tough.

People are being eliminated each day but the organiser has encouraged people to still keep running for the whole duration. They just won’t be the “winner”

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That's some good goals, I'd say keep at it for the self motivation regardless of whether you're eliminated. I guess it's a case of making time for those.miles rather than doing them fast, that'll keep it sensible. Nothing stopping you stopping half way to take in the scenery no?

I'm worried I might struggle with the 100 miles in 6 days. Although with less restrictions now I can maybe throw in a change of scenery and bang out a marathon somewhere as I've been wanting to do that for a while now. Not bothered how long it takes me I could walk those miles in all honesty but that's not the point. If the heat behaves itself and I'm still furloughed it'll be a doddle, but those things are likely what will test me.

Soldato
Can't say I was looking for any new supplements but stumbled upon Cissus Quadrangularis which seems to have decent amount of evidence for joint health, anyone using it?

In fact, out of curiosity do people use any particular supplements to help them with running?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've not done supplements, in fact while I don't have a terrible diet indont really control that to my running. I've been running for about 3 years now and turned 35 yesterday Nd haven't had an injury yet, rarely feel discomfort outside of heat and cold hands in winter.

I think it's my next step. I'd look at supplements and what they're supposed to be supplying and work that into my diet more naturally rather than buy into expensive products but I can see why others do. The reason I dont do that now is I just have little willpower because the whole subject is just not interesting and it's difficult to make big enough changes to feel the difference. For all the running I do though, aside from being slim I don't really show the muscular benefits and I am usually always slow so the first must be the limiting factor for me at this point. I'm happy for now though.

Soldato
That's some good goals, I'd say keep at it for the self motivation regardless of whether you're eliminated. I guess it's a case of making time for those.miles rather than doing them fast, that'll keep it sensible. Nothing stopping you stopping half way to take in the scenery no?

I'm worried I might struggle with the 100 miles in 6 days. Although with less restrictions now I can maybe throw in a change of scenery and bang out a marathon somewhere as I've been wanting to do that for a while now. Not bothered how long it takes me I could walk those miles in all honesty but that's not the point. If the heat behaves itself and I'm still furloughed it'll be a doddle, but those things are likely what will test me.

Yeah, at my pace it's now well over an hour so finding the time gets a bit trickier. Body wise i feel good though and it shows as long as you don't overdo your running then it's very achievable to run every day.

I made it through last nights elimination too so it's from 50 down to 22 now. The organiser released the trophy last night too. It looks ace!

CvMrhWA.png

100 miles in 6 days is tough, that's what about 17 miles a day. Even a marathon would leave you a distance away and then there's the recovery aspect. I think the best way would almost be for something like

Day 1 - 15
Day 2 - 2x10
Day 3 - 10
Day 4 - 2x10
Day 5 - 15
Day 6 -2x10

Or something like that. Ultimately though it's very difficult to find the time for that amount of running. There was a Youtube video of a guy blogging doing 100 miles in a week, it could be worth a watch?

Edit, there's a few but this was the one i watched, he's less annoying than some youtuber runners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgUjlaYMOro

Soldato
As for supplements, i spoke to a physio about them a while back as i have joint paint from injuries in wrist and ankles, and also am likely to develop arthritis from those injuries and also my mum has it quite badly.

My diet is generally pretty decent, everything cooked from scratch and a decent amount of fruit and veg. Especially since working from home as i've been eating a lot of fruit in porridge for breakfast, but i've been taking Turmeric supplements. I'm not sure how useful they are and i can't honestly say i've noticed much improvement, but they're cheap enough, Turmeric seems to reduce inflamation and i believe the black pepper helps it be absorbed.

It's not these that i have but similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turmeric-Capsules-Association-Certified-Vegetarian/dp/B079SCJSSZ

Soldato
There is generally a lot of research into reduced inflammation and turmeric which would help joints.

I normally eat some as part of my diet a few times a week, love making lentils with them.

Back
Top Bottom