What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
@DrToffnar I watched Wind River when my wife was away a few years back. She loves Sicario and Hell or High Water and really want her to watch Wind River, it's just 'that scene' which has me hesitating on a rewatch with her.

Irreversible has a pretty harrowing scene. So much so that one ex of mine took the DVD out and flung it down the stairs of her communal hallway

Soldato
I watched No Country for Old Men twice. Once when it came out, and then again about a year later. I felt underwhelmed by it both times. I think I do need to watch it again. But it felt so lacking and not well rounded in how it is presented.

I want to read the book. I would place money on that I would enjoy it more than the film.

Associate
Did you really just quote someone from 2099! Wow! :) I was going to comment, I disagree. Tarentino does not do it well. That movie was directed in two halves, right? As the original commentor said 11 years ago, it was a good movie, then Tarantino took over...

Haha! Not sure how I managed that! Could have sworn it was a new post!!! May have had something to do with how many beers I drank last night

Soldato
Seven Psychopaths

Load of rubbish and turned it off after 30 minutes.

Such a waste of great actors I thought.

It had a very immature/gratuitous level of profanity and violence like it was just put in to be "cool". I'm wondering what the point of 15 certificate films are if they can get away with so much these days.

Associate
@DrToffnar I watched Wind River when my wife was away a few years back. She loves Sicario and Hell or High Water and really want her to watch Wind River, it's just 'that scene' which has me hesitating on a rewatch with her.

Wind River is now a must see!! Is 'that scene' that bad?

How is No country for old men, Sicario, Wind river an Hell or high water linked? Is there a best order to watch them?

Last edited:
Soldato

How is No country for old men, Sicario, Wind river an Hell or high water linked? Is there a best order to watch them?

Hard to discuss the Wind River scene without posting spoilers. All i'll say that is in isolation it's not a graphic scene, not particularly bad when compared to others of it's type even. However as part of the overall film narrative and the total suspension ratcheted up in the scene, it's hard going and as @DrToffnar said, you almost immediately know the outcome minutes earlier.

No Country isn't really related to 'The Frontier Trilogy' of Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River and also, they aren't really a trilogy. It's a phrase used by Sheridan himself to tell 3 stories about real america, from his perspective, the side that isn't celebrated.

https://collider.com/wind-river-taylor-sheridan-interview/#sicario-hell-or-high-water

Do you feel like this is a trilogy that should be watched in the order that they were released, or is it just something where these three films are a piece?

SHERIDAN: Well, I mean, I think that, you know, if one were to watch them in order then they’re going to see similarities beyond just the frontier. They’re going to see similarities in how, you know, these three … If you think about it, it’s three fathers, each facing a failure of whether that failure was innocence or naiveté about I believe for the rule of law with Alejandro, whether it’s, you know, with Toby in Hell or High Water, that failure is an inability to provide and so he makes a decision to, you know, operate outside the rule of law in this sort of selfish martyrdom. And with Cory, his failure is trusting his child where he lives in a place where the rule of law doesn’t exist. So there are absolutely themes that I think, you know, watched in conjunction, questions raised in Sicario that are answered in Wind River. I think that it hopefully is an interesting experience in the aggregate but they also all stand alone.

Soldato
Seven Psychopaths
Load of rubbish and turned it off after 30 minutes.
Such a waste of great actors I thought.
It had a very immature/gratuitous level of profanity and violence like it was just put in to be "cool". I'm wondering what the point of 15 certificate films are if they can get away with so much these days.

the piece of that film i enjoyed the most was Walken telling the tale of the Monk who burned himself peacefully to death without uttering a word. Such a superb little wavy lines moment, and a nice little tale.

Man of Honour
the piece of that film i enjoyed the most was Walken telling the tale of the Monk who burned himself peacefully to death without uttering a word. Such a superb little wavy lines moment, and a nice little tale.

This is my favourite part, Walken is hilarious in this bit...just the way he says No

Soldato
No Country isn't really related to 'The Frontier Trilogy' of Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River and also, they aren't really a trilogy. It's a phrase used by Sheridan himself to tell 3 stories about real america, from his perspective, the side that isn't celebrated.
Uhh, No Country for Old Men was written by Cormac McCarthy and directed by the Coen brothers. It's got nothing to do with Taylor Sheridan and his 'trilogy' at all...

Caporegime

I thoroughly enjoyed Wind River and No Country for Old Men. Recommended! :)

I haven't seen Hell or High Water and as for Sicario, although very popular, wasn't anything special as far as I'm concerned anyway. I did enjoy it but I just found it to be a decent enough but forgettable experience.

Soldato
Uhh, No Country for Old Men was written by Cormac McCarthy and directed by the Coen brothers. It's got nothing to do with Taylor Sheridan and his 'trilogy' at all...

That's basically what I said, not sure why I typed "really" though. :)

They often get mentioned in the same conversations though due to similar feel.

Associate
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

New Netflix/Will Ferrell film, so you know what to expect. Entertaining enough, with a few lols, and the finale song is actually really good imo, like, better than actual stuff being released in the charts good.

6/10

Watched this last night too. I thought the accents would start to grate but actually were fine.
I enjoyed the hate for the poor yanks also that everyone hates the English.

Some really good songs, preferring the original ones a lot more than the others that they played throughout. Really like the 3 Fire Saga songs, esp the first one which reminded me of Kung Fury for some reason :confused: :D

Mark Kermode quite liked it and Will Gompertz really didn't but I'd side with Mr Kermode this time I recon. 6.75/10.

Soldato
That's basically what I said, not sure why I typed "really" though. :)

They often get mentioned in the same conversations though due to similar feel.
Fair enough. Yeah there's a whole neo-western label they put on them now. If you like that sort of thing you could try The Old Man and the Gun, and The Mule. I liked them both a lot.

Caporegime
Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga

5.5/10

Not Ferrel's best but mildly entertaining and fairly light hearted fun.

Both the songs and the singer they choice for Rachel McAdams voice were great.

Soldato
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 6/10 it was fun made me laugh in a lot of places but lacked the punch of the first Jay and Silent Bob movie. Not as good as Dogma either I think these characters work as a lead when the story is a bit whackiest and this under whacked.

Back
Top Bottom