Razer Core X eGPU

Soldato
Hey guys,

Moving back over to the Mac eco-system and so far loving it. Cannot wait for Big Sur!

Has anyone had any experience with a Razer eGPU? Its going on a Mac mini. I already have the GPU received today from, as always great service, OCUK!

Just waiting on ordering the eGPU along with a nice bump up from, not the best amount at base level 8GB RAM!

Cheers guys!

Soldato
Everyone I've spoken to said the EGPU is more hassle than it's worth and for the cost you'd be as well building a Windows gaming pc instead unless you really need a GPU you can use with MacOS!

Those enclosures really need to come down in price before they're a viable option IMO. If it was £100-200 I could see the appeal but when it's nearer £400 you could build a PC for that and just add your GPU

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Everyone I've spoken to said the EGPU is more hassle than it's worth and for the cost you'd be as well building a Windows gaming pc instead unless you really need a GPU you can use with MacOS!

Those enclosures really need to come down in price before they're a viable option IMO. If it was £100-200 I could see the appeal but when it's nearer £400 you could build a PC for that and just add your GPU

There is a website, that comes with 2 year warranty and is £220 so will be going down that route I think. As apposed to brand new.

Soldato
I use this the Razer with my Mac mini and works great, of course way faster with the Vega 56 I have in it......also works fine in windows when I boot camp to play games, you just have to use a specific version number of windows So it works ok.

Soldato
OP
I use this the Razer with my Mac mini and works great, of course way faster with the Vega 56 I have in it......also works fine in windows when I boot camp to play games, you just have to use a specific version number of windows So it works ok.

Great to hear! :)

I just ordered one there, so cannot wait to get it! Its only a RX 580 as I'm still testing the water but should hopefully be a little bit quicker than the integrated GPU :D

Soldato
Yes it was certainly felt in games. Depending on resolution I wouldn’t bother. Cheaper to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X for gaming (assuming a price point of around £400).

That's where I am. Unless you want to specifically play something which is only out on PC I just don't see the point in buying kit for PC gaming when you can grab a PS5 for what'll likely be around £400.

Soldato
Great to hear! :)

I just ordered one there, so cannot wait to get it! Its only a RX 580 as I'm still testing the water but should hopefully be a little bit quicker than the integrated GPU :D

Yeah its loads faster, even just in menus or launchpad etc, it can lag abit on the built in gpu but on egpu its lightning fast, last when you watch 4k / 8k footage etc, I run 2x 4k 32" monitors 100% A-RGB and it works great.

Soldato
Yes it was certainly felt in games. Depending on resolution I wouldn’t bother. Cheaper to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X for gaming (assuming a price point of around £400).

Sounds strange the performance hit isn't THAT bad so not sure what your talking about, unless your splitting hairs on fps - I don't look at benches, I just play the game and everything iv tried is smooth - what GPU were you using? - don't bother with gaming in Mac OS of Course - well saying that with latest Mac OS its pretty good - I can even game in parallels in DX11 games on emulation and works fine, although im not a FPS person, more strategy etc for me.

Boot camping into windows when the EGPU is setup works fine - although as I previously mentioned you need to get a specific version of windows so it works ok - follow the guide on egpu io website.

But windows gaming is great, just as it would be on a normal pc with an i7 and a Vega 56 - granted there is a perf hit via TB3 - but all the games I run on there work great and smoothly - sure im not benching but the games I run are great, again mostly strategy, if your a FPS player, maybe its a different story, although I ran the new doom and it was just fine.

The GPU I'm using is Vega 56

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It was a 5700XT and playing Destiny 2 on a 4K UltraFine via bootcamp. It was struggling to maintain 60fps. For comparison I’ve played Destiny 2 4K on a Windows machine with a 5700 XT and that maintained 60fps fine.

Soldato
I’ve been using it for months (spec in signature).

I could get a separate dedicated gaming machine, but for a little better performance is it worth the £3k investment ? In my opinion, no..

Work pays for my laptop and the Razor Core, so all I had to do was spend £300 for the GPU.

Between this rig and PS4 Pro (then soon PS5), it covers all my gaming needs.

Soldato
It was a 5700XT and playing Destiny 2 on a 4K UltraFine via bootcamp. It was struggling to maintain 60fps. For comparison I’ve played Destiny 2 4K on a Windows machine with a 5700 XT and that maintained 60fps fine.

Fair enough, that is one of the hardest games to run so makes sense, I'm more of a Xcom 2, SCFA, and C&C Player! lol

I’ve been using it for months (spec in signature).

I could get a separate dedicated gaming machine, but for a little better performance is it worth the £3k investment ? In my opinion, no..

Work pays for my laptop and the Razor Core, so all I had to do was spend £300 for the GPU.

Between this rig and PS4 Pro (then soon PS5), it covers all my gaming needs.

Exactly this, I game to wind down after a day of work, I'm not a hardcore gamer, so its not worth me spending thousands on something when it runs just fine, I know we live in a 'it must be the best' society - but if you think about it - it plays games perfectly well, so, enjoy, don't stress it :)

Back
Top Bottom