Civilization VI

Soldato
Anyone else getting issues with Barbs within the first 20-30 turns all of a sudden? I generally do not find Barbs a threat but I have had to restart many games in a row now as I am swarmed by turn 20 by them. Just started one and on turn 5 they had a horse, warrior and scout in my lands attacking my city...how can I defend that?

Soldato
I do too generally, but how can I defend that on turn 5. Happened multiple games in a row. One game I got into a little and I was literally about to kill a camp (no one in it, but had to wait for next turn to take) and it spawned a new barb. Ok, just one thats fine. The next turn, another, the next, another...for 5 turns! It was like the game just took acid or something. :D

Ah well, settled into a good game now.

Associate
Lol, leave the warrior in your capital, then it's more resistant and as they damage themselves attacking you can pick them off whilst another warrior is building.

I have nearly 1000 hours on this version, probably my favourite civ to date!

Soldato
Was having fun with flooding last night, the same river flooded every other turn for 6 turns, then the one next to that flooded too, and then soon as I rebuilt and repaired...it happened again. My dam was taking 20turns to build but had about 5-6 floods during that time...this game hated me yesterday!

Soldato
Anyone else getting issues with Barbs within the first 20-30 turns all of a sudden? I generally do not find Barbs a threat but I have had to restart many games in a row now as I am swarmed by turn 20 by them. Just started one and on turn 5 they had a horse, warrior and scout in my lands attacking my city...how can I defend that?
Yesterday I had an odd swarm I have never seen before. Was around turn 250 (Epic speed) and a Barb hoard came in with multiple cannons, crossbowman, Swordmans, ships and whatever those support units are called that boost attacking city's. I lost my walled city and a lot of units before I managed to get enough of an army across the map to deal with them. The barbs had a more advanced army and bigger then what most of the AI had.

Two other games had to be abandoned in around I would guess 20-30 due to a silly amount of barbs. In one game a camp next to my capital was spawning a barb unit every turn and it swamped me. I was pressing turn and watching unit after unit spawn and being on Epic is was impossible for me to respond. In the time I build 1 unit they had built 10+. In another game the other human player got wiped out so we restarted.

Barbs have been ok in the bulk of the games but every so often camps seems to over spawn new units.

Soldato
Yesterday I had an odd swarm I have never seen before. Was around turn 250 (Epic speed) and a Barb hoard came in with multiple cannons, crossbowman, Swordmans, ships and whatever those support units are called that boost attacking city's. I lost my walled city and a lot of units before I managed to get enough of an army across the map to deal with them. The barbs had a more advanced army and bigger then what most of the AI had.

Two other games had to be abandoned in around I would guess 20-30 due to a silly amount of barbs. In one game a camp next to my capital was spawning a barb unit every turn and it swamped me. I was pressing turn and watching unit after unit spawn and being on Epic is was impossible for me to respond. In the time I build 1 unit they had built 10+. In another game the other human player got wiped out so we restarted.

Barbs have been ok in the bulk of the games but every so often camps seems to over spawn new units.

Yea I think we have just got a little unlucky with barbs. Normally I do not even worry about them and have enough military or tactics to cover with ease, but as above, last few restarts have been out of character for the game.

Soldato

Did you see a barb Scout at any point? If they spot your city they'll head back to their camp, and if they get there you'll be besieged.

Soldato
Did you see a barb Scout at any point? If they spot your city they'll head back to their camp, and if they get there you'll be besieged.

On my game no scouts got back to camps. One camp was actually ready to be taken and suddenly it spawned barbs constantly. Took out my two archers within 3 turns and then continued to spawn attacking my cities. Never seen a barb camp do that before as mad as it did in almost 650hrs.

Associate
Is it possible for an early game war win on an xl map? Always play with friends and games take forever as it takes so long to explore the map.. Despite having a gentlemen agreement not to attack each other.. Just the AI for X turns

Soldato
OP

They look "OK"; their UU isn't anything to write home about as it just gets a minor bonus to damage, +1 sight range, and normal movement on hills, which just adds to how defensive they can be and matches well with the fact you'll be settling around hills a lot. I think the tourism boost from the Rock-Hewn Church comes too late in the game from Flight to take advantage of (given their science output will be quite low so it'll take longer than usual to reach Flight) and you're likely to have either won a culture victory at that point, or be close to it. They are super-heavy in Faith output though so with the amount of faith you'll wrack up you'll be able to spend it on lots of bonuses/units (depending on religion).

Man of Honour
Being able to buy museums and archaeologists and rockbands with that huge faith could be very useful though. I could see a cultural victory being the way to go with them. I've come very close to cultural victories using archaeology and rock bands before and thats when I've had to actually produce them rather than instabuy them with faith.

Caporegime
So no one played Ethiopia yet? :p Im finding them ok, certainly a decent religious civ, especially combined with the secret society i found the owls of minerva one.... Lots of cash!

ALTHOUGH... There is certainly something wrong with this build. Ive crashed from having near 100% CPU usage. It was causing my Youtube video to lock up and something just wasnt right.
I did turn on an option in windows to boost GPU, i cant rember what its called, came out with build .2004 but ill be turning that off to eliminate that as being the culprit....
a few steam users are reporting stuttering and crashing. So its not just me.
My pc is pretty damn powerful tbh so its nothing to do with that....

I looked up the option "hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.... " its now disabled.

Caporegime
Discovering I could get Gathering Storm for a bit under a tenner, I decided to pick it up and give Civ VI another try. Three hours later and *sigh*.

I don't know what it is about Civ VI. It's not that I hate it - I've racked up 80-odd hours - but it just doesn't keep me engaged in the way that previous Civ iterations did. I racked up well over 300 hours on Civ V, some vast numbers on Civ IV, II and I as well. But I find myself just not caring very much about the choices in Civ VI and while I can't point at any particular design decision and go "I hate it!", the game doesn't seem to hang together as a whole in the way I want it to. With earlier Civ iterations I'd look at the clock and realise it was 2 in the morning. With Civ VI I can sink hours into it, sure, but I never quite get that totally involved feeling that I did in other versions.

Man of Honour
Discovering I could get Gathering Storm for a bit under a tenner, I decided to pick it up and give Civ VI another try. Three hours later and *sigh*.

I don't know what it is about Civ VI. It's not that I hate it - I've racked up 80-odd hours - but it just doesn't keep me engaged in the way that previous Civ iterations did. I racked up well over 300 hours on Civ V, some vast numbers on Civ IV, II and I as well. But I find myself just not caring very much about the choices in Civ VI and while I can't point at any particular design decision and go "I hate it!", the game doesn't seem to hang together as a whole in the way I want it to. With earlier Civ iterations I'd look at the clock and realise it was 2 in the morning. With Civ VI I can sink hours into it, sure, but I never quite get that totally involved feeling that I did in other versions.

I suppose the question would be, have you had decreasing hours played in each title? Did you play Civ 4 for longer than Civ 5? If you played Civ 4 for 500 hours for example, Civ 5 for 300 hours and Civ 6 for 80, could that continual reduction in each title simply mean that the Civ style of game has been steadily holding your attention less with each edition, as opposed to specifically this edition of it. I've had that happen with some series of titles, most notably the Total War series, I've played each one of them for less than the one prior.

Caporegime
I suppose the question would be, have you had decreasing hours played in each title? Did you play Civ 4 for longer than Civ 5? If you played Civ 4 for 500 hours for example, Civ 5 for 300 hours and Civ 6 for 80, could that continual reduction in each title simply mean that the Civ style of game has been steadily holding your attention less with each edition, as opposed to specifically this edition of it. I've had that happen with some series of titles, most notably the Total War series, I've played each one of them for less than the one prior.

No, Civ V was my favourite. I'm not really sure on the hours for Civ I because, well, it was a long time ago and at a time that I had more time to waste on stuff, but I think I probably sunk more into V than I and I definitely sunk more into V than IV.

I agree that what you describe is a thing that happens but I don't think it's the case here. Shogun Total War is still my favourite iteration of that series.

Back
Top Bottom