Razer Core X eGPU

Soldato
OP
Yeah its loads faster, even just in menus or launchpad etc, it can lag abit on the built in gpu but on egpu its lightning fast, last when you watch 4k / 8k footage etc, I run 2x 4k 32" monitors 100% A-RGB and it works great.

Yeah, I noticed that, when launching the application grid or lauchpad etc, it stutters a little..

Soldato
OP
Why spend so much on a gaming monitor and do it a disservice with a sub par gaming experience?

I bought it for my gaming setup which I have now replaced with my Mac, and will look to play games secondary..

Its also going to be hooked up to the new Xbox Series X when launched so will make good use of the 4K high refresh rate also.

Soldato
OP
Quick question -

As my setup will be Mac > eGPU > Monitor, when I shut down / start up my computer my guessing I do the same with the eGPU (turn on off)? Or is does it auto stand-by or anything like that?

Soldato
OP
Just leave the gpu alone. It goes into standby, not turned mine off in months

Thanks.

Update : I received the eGPU this morning, and doesn't work :mad:

I tried everything, cables, reseating etc..

The fan on the PSU is spinning but doesn't connect to the monitor, via DP or HDMI!

I have Catalina, but only on version 10.15.2 - does it need the latest update maybe? (reason I haven't updated yet is I hear a lot of issues on 10.15.5 ??).

Soldato
OP
Update :

I bit the bullet guys and updated to 10.15.5 and is now working :)

RX 580 registering in the system info, will keep an eye open but hopefully now sorted :D

Soldato
Update :

I bit the bullet guys and updated to 10.15.5 and is now working :)

RX 580 registering in the system info, will keep an eye open but hopefully now sorted :D

Glad working - yes you'd need the absolute latest Mac OS, every '10.15.xx' release made the egpu noticeably better, I've not had any issues with latest Mac OS and EGPU works great on latest one - enjoy!

Soldato
OP
@Combat squirrel

My Mac is running great now. I had an issue with booting sometimes, having to hard reset then restart to kick start the screen image.

I ordered a "HDMI Dummy" unit and now works pretty damn good. Did you have to do the same to get your Razer Core X fully operational?

Soldato
@Combat squirrel

My Mac is running great now. I had an issue with booting sometimes, having to hard reset then restart to kick start the screen image.

I ordered a "HDMI Dummy" unit and now works pretty damn good. Did you have to do the same to get your Razer Core X fully operational?

Ahh right that's interesting - what do you use the HDMI Dummy for ? Yeah if I reboot on some occasions the EGPU didn't output, but 9/10 its fine, but I don't ever turn off my Mac mini or EGPU so I forgot about that - I have recently started using the onboard HDMI output for a 3rd monitor, but the EGPU is using 2x display port for 2 4k monitors.

Soldato
OP
Ahh right that's interesting - what do you use the HDMI Dummy for ? Yeah if I reboot on some occasions the EGPU didn't output, but 9/10 its fine, but I don't ever turn off my Mac mini or EGPU so I forgot about that - I have recently started using the onboard HDMI output for a 3rd monitor, but the EGPU is using 2x display port for 2 4k monitors.

Im not sure exactly how it works, but so far, when I boot up it manages to get to the login screen, without any black screen output from the eGPU.

Back
Top Bottom