Resident Evil 3 (r3make)

Soldato
Does anyone remember silent hill? Now that was a creepy game! Always wondered why there has not been any modern release of that. I'm not aware of one anyway, but I suppose I could have missed it.

One of my favourite series. Unfortunately, it started getting worse with part 4 (which was still good and very atmospheric) and Team Silent is no more. Pains me greatly TBH, same with Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver, have some very fond childhood memories with those two series.

SH was probably the best psychological horror franchise ever with really twisted themes, atmosphere and superb soundwork including OSTs by Akira Yamaoka I still listen to to this day.

There had been a demo called P.T. on PSN which was later revealed to be SH reboot directed by Kojima and Del Toro, it was properly scary and atmospheric. Konami scrapped the project and laid off Kojima who went to make Death Stranding instead which turned out divisive as hell. A real bummer.

Permabanned
I love the REmake.

I also enjoyed 7 and felt the initial game was brutal. But it kind of tailed off after around 2/3 of the way through where the intensity vanished, primarily because I spent time back tracking and arming myself to the teeth. A large part of the suspense is being outnumbered and out gunned. When that dynamic tips in your favour the game loses its grip in my opinion.

RE2 remake was good also, but wow the colour palette was shocking. Tried every which way with settings but it just looked permanently washed out. Really did reduce my enjoyment because I was constantly aware of it.

Does anyone remember silent hill? Now that was a creepy game! Always wondered why there has not been any modern release of that. I'm not aware of one anyway, but I suppose I could have missed it.

I enjoyed both the remakes.
But 7 was great for me loved it.

Man of Honour
Ooo the trailer for Viii was intriguing. Looks like it’ll be sticking to the formula of Vii, perhaps with a wider cast of characters? Exciting!

Man of Honour
Yea, I get the feeling I might enjoy it more the RE7.
Ah really? How so? I wonder whether it’ll be a little more ‘open world-y’ than some of the other games... or at least with more for things for you to do in your chosen order.

Upon a second look... is it supposedly set in England / Scotland?! Look at that farmer guy! If so... that’s an intriguing choice!

Is the lady at the end of the trailer chomping on a hand / severed limb?

Also, the person that Chris kills in the intro:

Was he killing Ethan’s wife, Mia?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ah really? How so? I wonder whether it’ll be a little more ‘open world-y’ than some of the other games... or at least with more for things for you to do in your chosen order.

Upon a second look... is it supposedly set in England / Scotland?! Look at that farmer guy! If so... that’s an intriguing choice!

Is the lady at the end of the trailer chomping on a hand / severed limb?

Also, the person that Chris kills in the intro:

Was he killing Ethan’s wife, Mia?
Well I suppose RE7 is not that high up on my list of resi games. I much prefer the Umbrella stuff to the psycho stuff in RE7. Also I liked seeing that mansion with the huge chandelier. I hope to see lots of keys and backtracking in the village :D

Man of Honour
Well I suppose RE7 is not that high up on my list of resi games. I much prefer the Umbrella stuff to the psycho stuff in RE7. Also I liked seeing that mansion with the huge chandelier. I hope to see lots of keys and backtracking in the village :D
That’s really interesting to me - you seem to be a big fan of traditional horror game mechanics because of the fear / tension (keys / backtracking, all of that) - but at the same you also prefer the Umbrella based plot lines?

To me, the Umbrella stuff is, from all games passed Remake, extremely cliched (‘the big bad villainous company with hilariously evil scientists with unlimited resource’) and is somewhat enjoyable comic relief / pantomime compared to the horror at the core of the game. I thought that RE7 had more atmosphere (at the beginning at least) because of the move away from umbrella and the ‘mega-company super cheese’. Even in the early games... in RE2 a huge lab built under a city.... really?! Of course, Umbrella did make an appearance at the end of RE7.

By comparison I found the ‘psycho’ stuff to have way more atmosphere. Especially those interactions with Jack and Mia at the start of RE7.

So because of your preferences I would have thought you’d prefer less umbrella, but clearly not! Just shows how much scope for preference there is.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That’s really interesting to me - you seem to be a big fan of traditional horror game mechanics because of the fear / tension (keys / backtracking, all of that) - but at the same you also prefer the Umbrella based plot lines?

To me, the Umbrella stuff is, from all games passed Remake, extremely cliched (‘the big bad villainous company with hilariously evil scientists with unlimited resource’) and is somewhat enjoyable comic relief / pantomime compared to the horror at the core of the game. I thought that RE7 had more atmosphere (at the beginning at least) because of the move away from umbrella and the ‘mega-company super cheese’. Even in the early games... in RE2 a huge lab built under a city.... really?! Of course, Umbrella did make an appearance at the end of RE7.

By comparison I found the ‘psycho’ stuff to have way more atmosphere. Especially those interactions with Jack and Mia at the start of RE7.

So because of your preferences I would have thought you’d prefer less umbrella, but clearly not! Just shows how much scope for preference there is.
Yea. Well to be clear I stopped liking any umbrella stuff after Code Veronica. It all depends on execution I suppose. But I prefer zombies from viruses than psycho stuff.

Zombies, Umbrella, a Mansion and puzzles - that's all i want in a RE game :)
Man with good taste :D

Just kidding nightfly ;)

I just feel like that is what a RE game is, give me more of that. Leave the other stuff for another IP. Or just split the franchise into two, like they did with revelations. One to satisfy the original fan base and the other to try new things.

Man of Honour
Yea. Well to be clear I stopped liking any umbrella stuff after Code Veronica. It all depends on execution I suppose. But I prefer zombies from viruses than psycho stuff.

Man with good taste :D

Just kidding nightfly ;)

I just feel like that is what a RE game is, give me more of that. Leave the other stuff for another IP. Or just split the franchise into two, like they did with revelations. One to satisfy the original fan base and the other to try new things.
It’s a good idea really - there is enough scope to have two (now three?) game styles all being worked on and released, then everyone can take what they like and leave what they don’t.

I do quite like the idea of a REmake style game (locked doors and all) but in a much larger, less linear area - such as a village, with you being able to explore several locations from the off each with their own secrets. That would be different.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It’s a good idea really - there is enough scope to have two (now three?) game styles all being worked on and released, then everyone can take what they like and leave what they don’t.

I do quite like the idea of a REmake style game (locked doors and all) but in a much larger, less linear area - such as a village, with you being able to explore several locations from the off each with their own secrets. That would be different.
Let’s see where they go with it. I wonder what they will remake after RE4? I hope they don’t skip to RE5 as I will have no interest in that. They should do CV, then RE0 and then Remake the Remake. That way by the time we get to the remake of the GameCube remake there will have been a huge gap. I mean at the rate of releases that would be in like close to 2030 or something.

Caporegime
One of my favourite series. Unfortunately, it started getting worse with part 4 (which was still good and very atmospheric) and Team Silent is no more. Pains me greatly TBH, same with Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver, have some very fond childhood memories with those two series.

SH was probably the best psychological horror franchise ever with really twisted themes, atmosphere and superb soundwork including OSTs by Akira Yamaoka I still listen to to this day.

There had been a demo called P.T. on PSN which was later revealed to be SH reboot directed by Kojima and Del Toro, it was properly scary and atmospheric. Konami scrapped the project and laid off Kojima who went to make Death Stranding instead which turned out divisive as hell. A real bummer.
you have probably seen it but there is a new silent hill coming at some point

Man of Honour
I completed RE5 today with my partner, who is not someone used to 'real time' games - it was occasionally a little painful as a seasoned gamer ( :o ) but overall she did very well and enjoyed herself!! Although I did keep on getting annoyed when she was sniping with the shotgun, leading me to exclaim "***** WTF!!" or similar several times like the angry man child I am. But to be fair, you can all appreciate how annoying that is... like, mate do yo even shotgun?? Fffff. Of course, to someone with zero video game knowledge, and no interest in guns, why wouldn't it shoot as far?

Leaving aside my poor mistreated partner, the co-op aspects of RE5 were very fun and often amusing. Aside from the co-op, damn, it's such a poo game relative to RE4 isn't it? In almost every way, it's worse.

1) Game is far less spooky in its setting to the point of being devoid of almost any horror at all.
2) Uninspired, linear 'whistle stop tour' feel, rather than feeling like you are exploring three rich location in depth (as per RE4).
3) D-pad shortcuts are welcome but otherwise horrible limited inventory system.
4) Shopping and weapon upgrade system is all via menus, which makes less sense than using the merchant and feels more arcady - disruptive to atmosphere.
5) Absolutely CRAP boss fights. They are so bad. Fighting with the machine guns on the jeep. Oh lord... no.
6) There is no 'tongue in cheek joy' / funny dialogue in RE5. No wisecracks or really any character building. It's played really straight - even the ultimate goof of Wesker is played a little too straight.
7) Excella and whatever that guy was called are such poor villains. No build-up or anything.
8) Hunting for treasure / gold is far less exciting and simplified compared to RE4.
9) Even the menus are weird in the way that you enter into the game and can replay anything at any point. Borderline confusing.
10) The biggest beef though is just how much imagination is lacking....

... in RE4 you have sooooo many memorable moments. Dozens, really. In RE5 the only really memorable good bits are:

The furnace boss, the train yard and mine section, the crocodile and swamp section, some of the licker sections, the reaper (bug) sections.... ummm... the boulder punching.

That's from playing it this week. I think I could name 50 moments from RE4 if I tried.

Worth a play through with a mate but not even half as good as RE4 and I'd say comparatively it's very poor. It's like Empire Strikes Back vs. The Phantom Menace.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I completed RE5 today with my partner, who is not someone used to 'real time' games - it was occasionally a little painful as a seasoned gamer ( :o ) but overall she did very well and enjoyed herself!! Although I did keep on getting annoyed when she was sniping with the shotgun, leading me to exclaim "***** WTF!!" or similar several times like the angry man child I am. But to be fair, you can all appreciate how annoying that is... like, mate do yo even shotgun?? Fffff. Of course, to someone with zero video game knowledge, and no interest in guns, why wouldn't it shoot as far?

Leaving aside my poor mistreated partner, the co-op aspects of RE5 were very fun and often amusing. Aside from the co-op, damn, it's such a poo game relative to RE4 isn't it? In almost every way, it's worse.

1) Game is far less spooky in its setting to the point of being devoid of almost any horror at all.
2) Uninspired, linear 'whistle stop tour' feel, rather than feeling like you are exploring three rich location in depth (as per RE4).
3) D-pad shortcuts are welcome but otherwise horrible limited inventory system.
4) Shopping and weapon upgrade system is all via menus, which makes less sense than using the merchant and feels more arcady - disruptive to atmosphere.
5) Absolutely CRAP boss fights. They are so bad. Fighting with the machine guns on the jeep. Oh lord... no.
6) There is no 'tongue in cheek joy' / funny dialogue in RE5. No wisecracks or really any character building. It's played really straight - even the ultimate goof of Wesker is played a little too straight.
7) Excella and whatever that guy was called are such poor villains. No build-up or anything.
8) Hunting for treasure / gold is far less exciting and simplified compared to RE4.
9) Even the menus are weird in the way that you enter into the game and can replay anything at any point. Borderline confusing.
10) The biggest beef though is just how much imagination is lacking....

... in RE4 you have sooooo many memorable moments. Dozens, really. In RE5 the only really memorable good bits are:

The furnace boss, the train yard and mine section, the crocodile and swamp section, some of the licker sections, the reaper (bug) sections.... ummm... the boulder punching.

That's from playing it this week. I think I could name 50 moments from RE4 if I tried.

Worth a play through with a mate but not even half as good as RE4 and I'd say comparatively it's very poor. It's like Empire Strikes Back vs. The Phantom Menace.
Yeah. That is why it is 11th on my list out of 14. The coop was not fun imo and did not fit. I always imagined coop as you can both be in different areas of the map doing things and joining each other would be optional. Things one player did having some impact on the other. Certain areas/puzzles requiring both parties to be solved/get through. This would be like a shared single player type experience.

Man of Honour
Completed Code Veronica yesterday, having previously got bored at the Antarctic base. I picked up where I left off.

It’s hit and miss. The first half is definitely the better half and the second half feels like they just added it on to be different. The Chris section in the training facility is labyrinth like because of the changes and blocked routes in the building and I did find it more tedious than fun. Things like having to place the shotgun to raise the ramp etc... it’s just sort of creates a ‘treacle’ to wade through. I really like the sense of exploration and that was very limited here. It does pick up again later in the Antarctic base.

I was pretty bored at the very end and started looking at ‘next steps’ etc online because I didn’t want to exert mental energy. I think I would have become stuck at the final tiger statue puzzle if I hadn’t - deffo remember that causing me difficulties before! At that time, I just assumed I was missing an item. It’s probably the puzzle that requires the most outside the box thinking in the whole series and it really isn’t very obvious at all. I’m not sure whether it’s clever or obtuse.

You have to go back and turn off power to stop the statue from spinning round. You turn the power on some time before this puzzle arises and it’s not even obvious that it would ever be necessary to turn it off (or that you CAN turn it off). Maybe it would be more in realms of clever if it said “you can turn the electricity on and off here” from the outset but I think it says something that gives you less of a hint. It does say at the statue that it operates via electricity though. Not sure what I think of it!

Took me almost 10 hours so it’s a fairly chunky entry to the series, albeit with some of the least memorable locations. Well, they’re different I’ll give them that.

I also found myself grumpy rather than scared when a forced perspective deliberately made enemies invisible, forcing a hit. This is more a thing here than it is in Remake and Zero.

I also ended up with an absolutely insane amount of ammo, despite playing in ‘normal’. Like, a bajillion bullets and shotgun shells. Definitely just use all of your strongest weapons all the time - very little need for ammo conservation.

Overall, it’s a hard one for me to rank. I’d say the second half of the game is ultimately skippable - there is a increased focus of treacle-like ‘puzzles’ but without any decent atmosphere. The first half is a good play through for fans of that style with a good balance of all elements.

Oh and that poison moth corridor can **** off!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Completed Code Veronica yesterday, having previously got bored at the Antarctic base. I picked up where I left off.

It’s hit and miss. The first half is definitely the better half and the second half feels like they just added it on to be different. The Chris section in the training facility is labyrinth like because of the changes and blocked routes in the building and I did find it more tedious than fun. Things like having to place the shotgun to raise the ramp etc... it’s just sort of creates a ‘treacle’ to wade through. I really like the sense of exploration and that was very limited here. It does pick up again later in the Antarctic base.

I was pretty bored at the very end and started looking at ‘next steps’ etc online because I didn’t want to exert mental energy. I think I would have become stuck at the final tiger statue puzzle if I hadn’t - deffo remember that causing me difficulties before! At that time, I just assumed I was missing an item. It’s probably the puzzle that requires the most outside the box thinking in the whole series and it really isn’t very obvious at all. I’m not sure whether it’s clever or obtuse.

You have to go back and turn off power to stop the statue from spinning round. You turn the power on some time before this puzzle arises and it’s not even obvious that it would ever be necessary to turn it off (or that you CAN turn it off). Maybe it would be more in realms of clever if it said “you can turn the electricity on and off here” from the outset but I think it says something that gives you less of a hint.

Took me almost 10 hours so it’s a fairly chunky entry to the series, albeit with some of the least memorable locations. Well, they’re different I’ll give them that.

I also found myself grumpy rather than scared when a forced perspective deliberately made enemies invisible, forcing a hit. This is more a thing here than it is in Remake and Zero.

I also ended up with an absolutely insane amount of ammo, despite playing in ‘normal’. Like, a bajillion bullets and shotgun shells. Definitely just use all of your strongest weapons all the time - very little need for ammo conservation.

Overall, it’s a hard one for me to rank. I’d say the second half of the game is ultimately skippable - there is a increased focus of treacle-like ‘puzzles’ but without any decent atmosphere. The first half is a good play through for fans of that style with a good balance of all elements.

Oh and that poison moth corridor can **** off!
I still enjoyed it more than say RE4 or 7. Why? It feels like what a Resident Evil game should, where as the others do not. They belong to a different IP or at least a separate naming scheme like Revelations has.

All the things you had issues with never bothered me, though I do agree the first half of the game is stronger :D

Whatcha playing next? :)

Man of Honour
I still enjoyed it more than say RE4 or 7. Why? It feels like what a Resident Evil game should, where as the others do not. They belong to a different IP or at least a separate naming scheme like Revelations has.

All the things you had issues with never bothered me, though I do agree the first half of the game is stronger :D

Whatcha playing next? :)
Not sure! I think I'm pretty much done with the series for now unless I'm going to get out my dreamcast and make my eyes bleed for the original RE2. I had RE6 ready to go but I think I traumatised my partner by being a total ass-hat whilst playing RE5 :o

Her preferences are ‘giving things a bop’ and, importantly, ‘collecting / scavenging treats’, so having had a quick google I've purchased Diablo 3, which should be a less relationship-breaking game.

I also have The Evil Within 2 ready for a spin.

Any recommendations?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not sure! I think I'm pretty much done with the series for now unless I'm going to get out my dreamcast and make my eyes bleed for the original RE2. I had RE6 ready to go but I think I traumatised my partner by being a total ass-hat whilst playing RE5 :o

Her preferences are ‘giving things a bop’ and, importantly, ‘collecting / scavenging treats’, so having had a quick google I've purchased Diablo 3, which should be a less relationship-breaking game.

I also have The Evil Within 2 ready for a spin.

Any recommendations?
In the horror category, not really.

I am just left waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 at this point. Oh and of course Resident Evil 8, but that is like next year :D

Back
Top Bottom