• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU intensive games

Soldato
What games actually push the CPU? I only play adventure/RPG games and nothing pulverizes my processor. Thought Odyssey was a little CPU intensive, nope. Is my GPU to weak? Bottleneck perhaps?

Soldato
You wont find a game that hammers all 12 cores/24 threads for a good few years yet. I'm sure it will come in handy for all the productivity and streaming that you do though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
You wont find a game that hammers all 12 cores/24 threads for a good few years yet. I'm sure it will come in handy for all the productivity and streaming that you do though.

I suspect the 12 threads that are software are a hinderance rather than a plus for games. Maybe for a benchmark or video work but for games why use the extra heat and voltage for unused cores. It used to be that sometimes equal clock an i5 had a 1fps lead on a i7 with HT. Or the one where in BF3 HT held back the first six core cpu i remember that one. Someone should do a investigation the best you can do with real cores versus your best with the fake cores on.

As games are mostly still 8 core, I dont see why the heat saving doesnt translate into higher boosts, Or an OC and thus 1-5% perf maybe more i suspect anything from 1-10%.

Associate
I would hit 100% with assassins creed games on ultra 1440p with a 4c/8t 7700K...turned down to very high and would drop by 20% but really you don't want the cpu hitting 100% and you want to have some headroom.

Most games are GPU bottlenecked anyway.

Maybe as we hit the next gen consoles that have proper 8c zen2 cpus that games will make more use of more cores and push cpus more.

Soldato
I suspect the 12 threads that are software are a hinderance rather than a plus for games. Maybe for a benchmark or video work but for games why use the extra heat and voltage for unused cores. It used to be that sometimes equal clock an i5 had a 1fps lead on a i7 with HT. Or the one where in BF3 HT held back the first six core cpu i remember that one. Someone should do a investigation the best you can do with real cores versus your best with the fake cores on.

As games are mostly still 8 core, I dont see why the heat saving doesnt translate into higher boosts, Or an OC and thus 1-5% perf maybe more i suspect anything from 1-10%.

becnhmarks show better performance with SMT enabled even up to the 16 core 3950x, at least with stock clock speeds. Only once you get up to the 24 core 3960x does the performance not make any difference. I'm not sure why this is because as you said games don't need that many cores but having SMT on still improves minimum framerates a little bit.

I know back in the day there were a lot of games that performed worse with HT on but that's not the case anymore

Back
Top Bottom