65” OLED thoughts required please

Soldato
C9 is sounding more and more promising.

Just out of interest, has anyone any experience of the Phillips OLED’s? I know they all use the same panels but being a Hue user, I’m curious about their Ambilight tech. I do wonder if the TV performs as well as the LG models though.

I have not owned one, but have used one. Its a nice features, infact having hue in the house everywhere, I have the strips around the perimiter of my C9 to do similar.

Mej67NV.jpg

however I would not give up the HDMI 2.1 and other gaming features and what seems like LG being slightly ahead in terms of capability. Personally I find I normally set a set the Hue strip to a certain level of Bias lighting works. When Hhe syncs to what's on screen, I find its distracting, a nice novelty initially, but little use eventually.

If you do have a PC connected to the TV, you can download the Hue Sync App which will sync any hue devices up based on location in terms of screen and show the relevant colour, so do the same thing the Philips Hue TV would do. Other external devices though would need that separate Hue sync box to do the same thing as what a Philips TV with Hue build in natively would do.

As a side note, C9's have stopped being produced as the CX is out, so just a heads up there. When I brought mine few weeks back, was told it was last batch Richer Sounds was getting as it was CX going forward.

Caporegime
That sounds promising. :D The inactivity settings automatic generally then?

Just as an example if a game was paused for two hours in the menu screen would it detect inactivity? Or is that when it’s likely to become damaged? It’s not an unlikely scenario in my house no matter how often I tell the kids to turn things off.

Yup all happens automatic, the TV will tell you when it is about to turn off too.

By inactivity, I mean, zero input at all so if you just move the magic remote i.e. the cursor, that will count as activity and so the countdown timer starts again.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
OP
Sounds like I should hurry up and track down a C9 then if the other manufacturers using the same panels don’t support HDMI 2.1.

Best I can see online is £1989.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is annoying and bizarre given Sony's own console looks to have HDMI 2.1. LG managed native HDMI 2.1 support this year SOC while last year they had a seperate daughterboard for HDMI, would have thought Sony could have done it. A shame as I think for other then gaming, the Sony OLEDs are superior.

On pricing, not sure you will see a massive reduction given most places sold out and that the CX is still much more expensive and that the C9 is actually superior in some ways. I think John Lewis even at £1989 seem to be selling out quick if that sold counter is to be believed. But yerrr.keep an eye out I suppose.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
OP
Might just bite the bullet with John Lewis and pay the £140 insurance that covers screen burn.

It’d certainly give me a bit more peace of mind.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
OP
It was being discussed on AV Forums.

BE7041-CD-BB0-E-46-D5-B4-CE-4-C8-EE9-FBDA52.jpg

HRL

HRL

Soldato
OP
Well I’ve now ordered one from JL and taken out the 5 year cover for £140.

Don’t think I could have justified the purchase otherwise TBH.

Thanks for all the pointers. :D

Back
Top Bottom