What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
We've just ordered resin bound gravel for our driveway. We're having the drive widened and also having a path down the side of the house covered with the same material.

It's not cheap, 45m² is costing about £7k but it'll look awesome.

Consigliere
Had some quotes for my driveway.

Dimensions are: L = 20ft & W = 22ft so roughly 37m².

Cheapest quotes are:
Gravel with block borders around perimeter £1950
Tarmac with block borders around perimeter £2500
Standard block paving £2400
Tegula trio paving £2800

Leaning towards tarmac for the durability and easy maintenance.

Sounds sensible. Gravel would annoy me personally...i had to google Tegula but that would look cool. Buuuut pricey obvs.

Soldato
I keep seeing lots of cool video's of people laying concrete driveways which are then coloured to whatever colour or patterns you want, and stenciled to all sorts of brick patterns etc. I think for me that would be what I would go for if I ever had my tarmac drive done.

Soldato

Cheapest quotes are:
Tegula trio paving £2800

Ask how they're preparing the sub-layers.

Soldato
Took up a carpet in preparation for glossing skirting boards tomorrow

Oh, and a new carpet at some point :D

IMG-20200627-164309.jpg

IMG-20200627-164322.jpg

Soldato
Well that's one way to do it @{SAS}TB :D I like to make extra work for myself and paint them before putting them on the wall (Then I just have the corners to touch up after). I am currently decorating my downstairs and really hate painting the skirting in situ. So much easier when it is on a bench.

Oh and you should have done what I always end up doing. Leaving the carpet gripper in situ so I constantly wrap my knuckles on it when doing any prep/painting the skirting ;)

Soldato
@fobose lol.

That's the only new skirting (new ensuite off the bedroom) the rest are all old / tired skirting which are in dire need of a gloss! No way I'm taking them off to paint but agree (I do the same with new coving)

I've also left the gripper rod in for exactly that reason - will be bloody ribbons by tomorrow evening I'm sure :D

Soldato
Aahh ok. I thought you might be replacing all of your skirting. I only painted mine on a bench as I had removed it to lay network cables / wood flooring. There was a dang lot of it though so I was very glad not to paint it in situ. I am also planning to do the rest of the house gloss work as it is not up to my standards!

Soldato
Well to be fair, I have only started on my ground floor. I still need to do my downstairs loo. Middle floor has 3 bedrooms (1 with built in wardrobe), a bathroom and a cupboard. The top floor has master bed will loads of built in waldrobes (all glossed) and an ensuite. So a lot for me left too :(

Associate

Cheapest quotes are:
Tegula trio paving £2800

I've also just had a quote for tarmac. Mine is already tarmac but falling to bits. Said he'd remove the loose, fill the holes, seal and tarmac on top. Quoted £4.5k for just over 50m2. Could have fallen over.

Soldato
Fitted some cheap mirror/UV/IR blocker film to some windows that are in the sun all day long. A combination of French window frames of not being square, the edges of the Chinese film being not entirely parallel and my cutting it about as straight as Michael J. Fox could full of meth and on a space hopper meant that none of it really fits very well.

Had a blazing row with Herself as part of the fun too.

Paying professionals to fit it does seem the way to go in future. Or anyone else so I don’t get yelled at.

Soldato
Sorry @Terminal_Boy but I really did have to LOL to that :D I thought about getting that done on my kitchen patio doors and was looking at a local company to fit for me, never got around to it though!

Today I have rehung the downstairs loo door, took all of 2 mins. Done FA else :(

Soldato
I did some angry DIY, our bed keeps sliding around on the floor. It always ends up moving over so far that my bedside table is arm's length and my girlfriend can't open her wardrobe. Reinforced the frame a bit and screwed 4 blocks down against the legs.

**** this bedframe and **** renting. I won't share a picture because it was beyond crude.

Soldato
I did some angry DIY, our bed keeps sliding around on the floor. It always ends up moving over so far that my bedside table is arm's length and my girlfriend can't open her wardrobe. Reinforced the frame a bit and screwed 4 blocks down against the legs.

**** this bedframe and **** renting. I won't share a picture because it was beyond crude.

Are you trying to tell me that there’s a non-angry form of DIY? :eek:

Soldato
Is there a specific ritual to ensure success? I’m not ruling out human sacrifice as I have plenty of land to hide the bodies in...

I have 12 captive bolts to install into a concrete capped limestone wall this week to support fence panels to block a 2 metre drop.

Back
Top Bottom