Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Got tired of poor wifi so finally ordered a Nest Wifi router. Coming tomorrow, can’t wait to retire the Virgin Hub from its router duties.

Soldato
Well yeah, but Virgin don't exactly cover a vast amount of the UK either. If most of VMs areas end up with FTTP competition then it will be interesting to see what happens.

Been with VM for broadband since I moved into this house nearly 19 years ago.

I'm on 350/35 but their 1gb service is available to me but would mean committing to a new 18-month contract whereas my current one ends in a few months.
I'm procrastinating as I'm on the FTTP site an "in progress" and this looks like it could be a better option with better upload and reduced latency. It's also "true FTTP" as I'm on VM's hybrid network with co-ax to the property rather than fibre which could offer more headroom in the future.

Just wish I knew how long it's likely to be before FTTP is available. If I knew it wasn't going to be until the end of next year then I'd likely go for VM 1gb in the interim.

Associate
I called and they said 500mbps is not avabile to me yet, despite it being on the site this morning. If I run through their site as a "new customer" I can even place an order for 500Mb broadband only. Maybe I will try again later in the week.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can get 350mb & a 15gb sim card for £39. Very tempted by this as i have 2 sim only contracts with virgin at the moment so i could cancel one of them which would save me £10.

Caporegime
Hhhmm I am due to move to 350 from 200 in just over a week, wonder if I will get 500 (though noticed the upload speed for 500 is the same as 350).

Edit - we are still going ahead with our 350 apparently but could get the 500 for £42 but I think 350 will be fast enough (heck 200 is decent), especially as they aren't increasing the upload speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just called.. Currently on 350 for £40 a month. They offered a new 18 month contract for £41 a month lol... Or go down to 200 for £39 a month..

30 days notice given and see what they do..

Caporegime
To add a bit of perspective to all of this - ADSL in 2001 was 512Kbps and cost £25 per month on top of your line rental, which is the equivalent today of £42.

It's not really that unreasonable to be asked to pay a total cost in the mid-£40s for a 350Mbps service, imo.

Caporegime
To add a bit of perspective to all of this - ADSL in 2001 was 512Kbps and cost £25 per month on top of your line rental, which is the equivalent today of £42.

It's not really that unreasonable to be asked to pay a total cost in the mid-£40s for a 350Mbps service, imo.

I personally agree.
What is unreasonable is the "For 12 months" and a stagnated service where you're paying more money 12 months down the line for the same service lol.

As well as the minor price difference, you're saving a couple of pounds a month to lose like 33% of your bandwidth etc.

I think right now it's actually a 150% bandwidth improvement for about 6 pound a month for an 18 month contract.

Back
Top Bottom