Power line plugs

Soldato
Finally moved into our new house :) One of the first issues is Internet. In my old house, it was so small I just ran cables around, but now it's just too big to do that. So, I have the router in a bedroom one side of the house, my media server pc in a bedroom other side and my smart TV downstairs in the living room. I'd like a power line Internet setup to accommodate this along with the Mrs pc in a spare room. Any recommendations what to buy?

Soldato
I tried four or five makes, including Devolo Magic things which are supposedly the best

I got max 120mbps (from a 300mbps fttp connection), others gave 50-80ish

OCUK advised me to try a mesh wifi system - I picked up a BT mesh disk (black, new gen) on eBay, seamlessly connected to my BT router, and the results are perfect - getting around 270mbps on the opposite corner of a 4 bed house.
So worth trying that!

Associate
I've used the TP-Link stuff for a few years, and after some recent "I need to read the manual" issues, I'm still using them with around 150MBPS links upstairs and down. The Kit I use is the TL-PA4010P kits, quite happy with them :)

Soldato
Run cables to hard wired access points.

To any physical desktops, run cables.

Absolutely. It’s the only way guaranteed to get you 1Gbps of throughput. And it’s usually not that expensive. I’ve seen quotes for 2 external run cables ranging between £100 (Tyneside) and £300 (Park Royal in North London). It’s literally 2 holes in the wall or window sill, 2 external grade cables tacked to the brickwork and some form of termination (RJ45 jacks or keystones). £30 in materials and 1-2 hours of labour.

But the OP asked about Powerlines and the Mikrotiks I suggested above will give 450-600Mbps on the same circuit. Which is much faster than most “home plug” type devices.

Soldato
@IvanDobskey one consideration is what speed you're looking to achieve consistently. Powerlines have little issue up to around the 200/300Mbps mark, then it tails off significantly unless you buy some top market ones.

Associate
@IvanDobskey one consideration is what speed you're looking to achieve consistently. Powerlines have little issue up to around the 200/300Mbps mark, then it tails off significantly unless you buy some top market ones.

Using the Kit I mentioned above, one link is sitting happily at 350Mbps, the other at 277Mbps, unless you're straming 4K all day I'd doubt you'd need much more than that, since unless you're on high end fiber internet your incoming is giong to be around 80Mbps tops?

Soldato
Would like to be able to stream 4k media. My broadband is about 250mbps.

Time to abuse amazon returns and see what results you get on different powerline kit.

I 'trialed' some devolo powerline adapters for a few days when my ultrafast went live. They were reporting 600-900Mb but in reality I was getting around 200Mb throughput.

Back
Top Bottom