Does size matter?

Associate
I got these two fans I'm looking to install ;

One is a 120mm fan (NZXT Rifle bearing RF-AF12C-RB) the other is a 140mm fan (Cooler Master A14025-12CB-3BN-F1).

I'm looking at which are these two are the best ? I'm looking to use one of them to exhaust.

Soldato
I got these two fans I'm looking to install ;

One is a 120mm fan (NZXT Rifle bearing RF-AF12C-RB) the other is a 140mm fan (Cooler Master A14025-12CB-3BN-F1).

I'm looking at which are these two are the best ? I'm looking to use one of them to exhaust.
Bigger size doesn't neccesarily mean better performance. Specifications are the key, even though they are only marginally helpful. Generally fans with higher pressure ratings at simialr airflow rating will perform better because higher pressure rating means fan can overcome resistance better .. and case grills, filters, cooler fins, even cabling are all resisting our fans' airflow.

RF-AF12C at full speed is rated:
63.02 CFM
1.24mm-H2O
31Db

A14025 at full speed is rated:
1200 RPM
60 CFM
19 DBA
Can't find any other specs.

Honestly, I wouldn't use either one

You can get a 2-pack of PH-F120MP for £14.99, so £7.50 each
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-f120mp

2-pack of PH-F140MP are out of stock at the moment, but when in stock are £16.26, so £8.13 each
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Associate
OP
Bigger size doesn't neccesarily mean better performance. Specifications are the key, even though they are only marginally helpful. Generally fans with higher pressure ratings at simialr airflow rating will perform better because higher pressure rating means fan can overcome resistance better .. and case grills, filters, cooler fins, even cabling are all resisting our fans' airflow.

RF-AF12C at full speed is rated:
63.02 CFM
1.24mm-H2O
31Db

A14025 at full speed is rated:
1200 RPM
60 CFM
19 DBA
Can't find any other specs.

Honestly, I wouldn't use either one

You can get a 2-pack of PH-F120MP for £14.99, so £7.50 each
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-f120mp

2-pack of PH-F140MP are out of stock at the moment, but when in stock are £16.26, so £8.13 each
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Thanks I did think that.

I should have mentioned my case is a NZXT H500 which has notorious problems with airflow (basically the front is completely enclosed off which restricts airflow into the case).

So the fan support options I have are :
1 Rear fan (120mm)
1 Top fan (which can support 120mm or 140mm)

The front has a fan cage which can support 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans, but as stated the front of the H500, is completely closed off so it doesn't make sense to install any fans at the front.

So I was thinking a 120mm fan for the rear and a 140mm for the top?

I was thinking the ;
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1500 RPM for the top.

What do you think or could you recommend me something else?

Don
I should have mentioned my case is a NZXT H500 which has notorious problems with airflow (basically the front is completely enclosed off which restricts airflow into the case).

While the front appears completely closed off - it looks like the front fans take air from a series of holes down the front right hand side, so you should still install Front fans.
Installing 2 front 140mm fans and a Rear 120mm fan is probably ideal for that case, to ensure you have more intake than exhaust

Arctic P12 and P14 PWM PST would be my suggestion (although P14 is out of stock as well)
Higher static pressure and airflow than the Phanteks mentioned, whilst operating at the same volume, and in theory the ability to go as low as 200rpm.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £16.38 (includes shipping: £3.48)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks I did think that.

So the fan support options I have are :
1 Rear fan (120mm)
1 Top fan (which can support 120mm or 140mm)

The front has a fan cage which can support 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans, but as stated the front of the H500, is completely closed off so it doesn't make sense to install any fans at the front.

So I was thinking a 120mm fan for the rear and a 140mm for the top?

I was thinking the ;
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1500 RPM for the top.

What Armageus said about front fans.

a couple of high pressure rated 140mm front intakes with all opening not covered by fans blocks will move quite a good airflow into case.

NF-P14s are not all that good. Phanteks PH-F140MP are better. AN-A14 iPPC 24v 3000rpm has same performance up to 1500rpm as NF-P14s redux 1500 PWM,. In below chart you can easily see at similar rpm and noise levels PH-F140MP is better.

attachment.php

Associate
OP
What Armageus said about front fans.

a couple of high pressure rated 140mm front intakes with all opening not covered by fans blocks will move quite a good airflow into case.

NF-P14s are not all that good. Phanteks PH-F140MP are better. AN-A14 iPPC 24v 3000rpm has same performance up to 1500rpm as NF-P14s redux 1500 PWM,. In below chart you can easily see at similar rpm and noise levels PH-F140MP is better.

attachment.php

Ok I see so the ph-f140mp will do 79.9cfm at 1500rpm whereas the noctua will do 76.8cfm at 1500rpm.

The ph-f140mp are out of stock any ideas when they will be back?

So am I right in thinking I need :
3x ph-f140mps

Two for front intake and one for top.
The rear can remain as a 120mm RF-AF12C?

How do the fans that armgeus compare to those ph-f140mps?

Also it says on the Phanteks website that the PH-F140mps have a max of 68cfm why does it say that when your table says 79.9cfm?

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140MP.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok I see so the ph-f140mp will do 79.9cfm at 1500rpm whereas the noctua will do 76.8cfm at 1500rpm.

The ph-f140mp are out of stock any ideas when they will be back?

So am I right in thinking I need :
3x ph-f140mps

Also it says on the Phanteks website that the PH-F140mps have a max of 68cfm why does it say that when your table says 79.9cfm?

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140MP.html

Look at cfm and mm H2O at speeds fans will run most. Like at 500-1000rpm. Also pay more attention to pressure ratings than cfm because the higher pressure rating means fan can overcome resistance better and flow more air. We have to keep in mind that static pressure is amount of pressure fan can make pushing air into a sealed container, and airflow is how much air fan flows with no resistance/obstructions to it's flow. Factory specs are usually only at full speed. Test data like I posted gives shows pressure and airflow at speed settings from idle to full speed, so we can get a better idea of fans' performance at speeds we normally use them at. If you are like me my fans rarely run full speed, but normally from near idle to 900-1000rpm. So it's more important to know how fans perform at lower speed than at full speed

Link below may be of interest. It's a basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Don

I wouldn't bother with the top exhaust, just a rear exhaust should be enough with the front intakes.

Arctic's specs say they are better than the Phantek's however as always take with a pinch of salt.
I personally own some however and can't fault them. They also come with a 10year warranty Vs 5 for the Phantek's fwiw.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother with the top exhaust, just a rear exhaust should be enough with the front intakes.

Arctic's specs say they are better than the Phantek's however as always take with a pinch of salt.
I personally own some however and can't fault them. They also come with a 10year warranty Vs 5 for the Phantek's fwiw.

Ah ok. Why not a top fan though? surely its best to exhaust as much hot air as you can?

Soldato
I would definately reccomend the Arctic fans Armageus suggested, fantastic performance at really low noise I have 5 x P14's 2 x P12's and I am really pleased with them especially considering how reasonably priced they are. They are also a new design unlike the PH-F140MP which are 5 years old now.

Don
Ah ok. Why not a top fan though? surely its best to exhaust as much hot air as you can?

As per doyll's guide better to have airflow going in some kind of organised method, rather than just "moar fans".
Having a top exhaust can cause intake air to be pulled up and out, and away from things that need it like the GPU.
If excess air needs to be exhausted, it will find it's own way out (which can be directed e.g. via removing slot covers)

Soldato
Best thing to do is to get yourself a cheap digital thermometer with a probe and customise your own cooling according to what works in your case with your hardware and your layout as per the link doyll posted.

Back
Top Bottom